Author Topic: Achilles  (Read 6830 times)

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Achilles
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 06:44:59 »
What a fantastic custom! Perfect in every detail. 8-)

And I think Playmofire-Homer is just brill! :D

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 01:54:20 »
Hey Panos - Your Achilles is magnificent! He looks very authentic. I especially love the first photo, with the ships landing in the background. Is that a photo you printed and placed behind him when you took the image? It does not look digitally manipulated to me, and if you did add the background digitally, you did a wonderful job.

And thanks to Gordon for sharing Achilles with us!
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline pastifi

• x
  • Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 05:11:57 »
Thanks a lot for your kind words  my friends.

I ve been collecting  ancient Greek parts for quite a long time now and i try to combine them for my TrOY Story ;-) .
Captain Henry: The backround with the landing ships is from the movie and yes: printed in A4 taped on wall and there you go. My skills go that far only ;-)
I am better with the 35mm cameras lol.For digital I have an ancient Mavica with a floppy disc.

Gordon is doing quite a research in the characters of Trojan war and I am sure soon he will amaze us all.

Dan : all items used are on ebay but soon i will finish few original playmo parts transformed ;-) No more secrets I can give away lol.

Cheers

Panos
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 05:34:35 by pastifi »

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
great work (missing a turtle)
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2006, 23:30:36 »
  ???   i am not sure if there is only one achilles and if he is the same one of the "achilles and the turtle paradox" - http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ZenosParadox.html
it was quite popular in portugal, when i was in school.
i have to improve my classical knowledge, usually devoted to the roman writers.
anyway, palymobil also makes turtles and you could add one.
thank you for the splendid custom.
   ;D
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: great work (missing a turtle)
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 06:16:18 »
  ???   i am not sure if there is only one achilles and if he is the same one of the "achilles and the turtle paradox" - http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/ZenosParadox.html
it was quite popular in portugal, when i was in school.
i have to improve my classical knowledge, usually devoted to the roman writers.
anyway, palymobil also makes turtles and you could add one.
thank you for the splendid custom.
   ;D

It is the same Achilles as the one pastifi has made.

The link raises similar questions to another paradox the Greek philosophers identified, the flight of the arrow.  At any moment of time an arrow shot from a bow  is at a particular point of in the universe.  If this is true, which it is, how then does the arrow get from point A where it started it's flight, to point B, where its flight ends?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline pastifi

• x
  • Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 07:20:24 »
Thats a very interesting link Cachalote. Been thinking about those paradoxs and still cant find any clue  :yup:
Since you like ancient Greek history have a look at what is doing my head in lately lol:  http://www.antikythera-mechanism.gr/

Best regards

Panos

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
to playmofire and to pastifi - Achilles
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 22:48:51 »
well playmofire, maybe the answer to the question "how then does the arrow get from point A where it started it's flight, to point B, where its flight ends" could be - with some effort.
or even - with some difficulty.
just kidding... 8}

pastifi - the  antikythera mechanism is beautiful. ;D
it has that magic round quality that portuguese xvi century astrolábios also have but the fact that it looks so much more like a machine and that it is so much older gives it an extra glare.

although i am an architect, and have therefore some geometrichal skills, i wish i could have paid more attention to my past math classes.
i know just enough to understand most of the explanations but not enough to be able to make some research for myself.
i think mathematics can produce items as beautiful as your antikythera mechanism and also a buildink like this - http://www.thecityreview.com/london.htm - the spiral daniel libeskind designed for the extension of the victoria and albert museum.
unfortunately it wasn't built for lack of funds.
it is based on a series of fractal equations (i don't know if i spelled the word right) that include the design for the tiles.
i just wish i knew how i could go so far. :'(
one of these days i know i will find the time...
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: to playmofire and to pastifi - Achilles
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 01:36:42 »
well playmofire, maybe the answer to the question "how then does the arrow get from point A where it started it's flight, to point B, where its flight ends" could be - with some effort.
or even - with some difficulty.
just kidding... 8}

Now thta's just the sort of answer I'd give! ;D
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline oberasbach4

• Playmomercenary
  • Playmo Pal
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 02:34:53 »
Wow, that is truly magnificent work!
Count Guido

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 20:54:12 »
Here's another shot of Achilles, practising a bit of fancy spear throwing, plus a scene from the film.