Author Topic: doug's random customs  (Read 1396 times)

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
doug's random customs
« on: March 16, 2020, 05:36:08 »
I used some of my social distancing time today to finally come to an awkward resolution with Photobucket's new normal,
so I can finally share some old customs.

For those of who like a good hard cider, this barely-a-custom was inspired by the Angry Orchard logo.

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
Re: doug's random customs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 05:52:54 »
This custom was actually made by my nieces a few years back, when they were 9 and 6.

We took one of their four white owls (remember when those owls were rare....?), 3 magic markers, a google image search page, and I turned them loose.

Not high art, you may argue, but with a first grader doing half the work, I was impressed/jealous that I could not really have done any better...

I definitely would have painted that beak worse.  Let's chalk it up to ....smaller hands....
;)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:08:57 »
For those of who like a good hard cider, this barely-a-custom was inspired by the Angry Orchard logo.

I had never heard of it, but googled it ;)  A very nice one!

We took one of their four white owls (remember when those owls were rare....?), 3 magic markers, a google image search page, and I turned them loose.

:love: :love: :love:   Gorgeous!

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 15:44:23 »
Great customs! I really like the owl. The tree reminds me of the Wizard of Oz

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 05:12:13 »
That makes the owl look so much cuter!
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 17:53:19 »
Its amazing how similar that tree looks to the logo! It looks great with the apples on it.

I love the Angry Orchard logo, more than the taste of it (bit strong for me!) 

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 18:07:11 »
Thanks for comments, all. 

Tim, I thought of Oz (and Shrek) trees while apple-fying my tree too.  Oh!and Snow White too.  Probably Oz and Snow were partially PM's inspiration in the first place, right?
Not sure if any of those cinematic sentient trees were actually fruit trees or not....  But it seems right.

Flatcat, there are soooo many (good!) hard ciders out now!  Angry Orchard was the first I discovered back when I was the only person in my circle of friends who just never "acquired the taste" for beer like I was supposed to.  Nostalgic.  And cool logo. ( Marketing works!)

I will pass on owl praise to my nieces, leefert and tahra. 

Offline doug

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 18:40:56 »
I loved the Fi?ures series15 fire sorceress, but thought she could use better wings.  Or no wings.  But not those little wings.
I tried the series16 lavaman wings, and the style just was not right.

I had and extra series9 carnivale dancer (Fi?ure came with TWO RIGHT ARMS!! Unbuildable! More frustrating than missing pieces!!) so I tried those out.

They were too green for the sorceress, and my partner said they should be inverted to better represent fire, but the style was not bad.
After a short argument about why she always puts her fairy wings on upside down, I dyed the wings in maroon RIT dye and tried them on her way.
Here is what we got:

I liked the color and how the neon still bled through slightly.

Still ambivalent on placing wings on upside down, but it does suggest fire, I suppose.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 19:28:14 »
Still ambivalent on placing wings on upside down, but it does suggest fire, I suppose.

Interesting, yes... It does suggest fire, I agree :)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 20:12:22 »
Those wings look great in the red