Author Topic: Walt's Playmobil Railway  (Read 7564 times)

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
Re: Walt's Playmobil Railway
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 19:08:11 »
WALT’S PLAYMOBIL OLD TRAIN LAYOUT

When my twin sons were 3 years old in 1984 I got them two Playmobil sets and extra track. So that they could both run the trains over the same track at the same time, and not have to know about isolation sections I invested in an Airfix Multiple Train Control System that was produced from 1978/9.  The Multiple Train Control System consists of a main control unit that can control up to sixteen locomotives, but only a maximum of four can be controlled at any one time with plug in hand controllers. There are also modules to fit into the locomotives. As time went on we bought more train sets and extra Locomotives and stock. I have been using this system now for many years to control my G gauge Playmobil locomotives. The advantage of the system is that four operators can control four locomotives independently at the same time. Over the years we have increased our stock of Playmobil locomotives and trains. However when we take the Playmobil layout to exhibitions we run it as a “DRIVE IT YOURSELF” layout for children. Usually only allowing one train to be operated at a time to avoid crashes.

We started exhibiting the Playmobil trains in 1999 when there was a model railway exhibition held locally. To help my wife and myself said we would put in our Playmobil trains. A layout was designed to fit on the tables provided at the hall, so that four trains would be available to operate. Various Playmobil items were put on the layout. The following year we were asked to exhibit the trains again.
The third year we were asked to go again, so once more a layout was designed to fit the tables that we would be lent. However we had been told the size was 2m x ½ m, when we got to the hall the tables were 6 feet by 1½ foot. We then had to spend 3 hours redesigning the layout to fit.
We were now being asked to go to different venues, so I decided to have our own boards.
As we had had to lift up our children when we used to take them to model railway exhibitions, it was decided that the boards should only be high enough for children to be able to see the top of them without having to be lifted up by their parents. The boards also had to fit into the small trailer we had. A height of 13 inches was decided upon and the boards made. The track was fastened to the boards. When making the boards we decided to expand the system. To increase the number of Playmobil locomotives and trains that could be run to eight, on the exhibition layout we now have two main control units but only one is connected to the track at a time. On the top of the control panel I have push buttons and four hand controllers. By pushing a button for the locomotive or train that the children require to drive, relays are operated that set the points correctly, set the hand controllers to the correct main control unit and connect it to the track. I have modified the hand controllers so that they will only operate in one direction, so if children try to reverse them the train only stops. Into the hand controller is fitted a small socket and when I insert a plug in the train will reverse. This is handy for testing the trains and also if they need to be reversed.
Should the train have lights on them then these are left connected to the pick-ups from the track.

To help setting up the display we have dioramas on plywood boards 18" x 18" or 18" x 12" on which we have various playmobil figures and vehicles. These are placed on the layout baseboards, so as to make up an overhaul scene of playmobil people etc.
We try to include some extra playmobil each year so as to expand it. The majority of the equipment on the layout is Playmobil

It is nice to see the faces of the children when they find out that they can operate the layout. We also have a short end to end line for the younger children that can be operated by pushing a button.

PLAYMOBIL CHRISTMAS LAYOUT

The Playmobil Christmas Layout was first used in December 2005 at Lytham for G Wizz its Christmas.

On the layout is an oval of track with a passing loop and a siding.  The layout depicts a winter scene near the Playmobil Father Christmas house.  There is a siding of the main track for Farther Christmas, and in the loop line there are two Playmobil radio control trains that the children can drive round the layout.  On the ski slope the Playmobil figures are enjoying themselves while on the road the snowplough is out moving the snow. Other scenes are and all the figures are Playmobil that have to do with Christmas or wintertime.
Try and see if you can count the number of Playmobil Farther Christmas figures are on the layout then let Farther Christmas know.

Due to the Christmas layout being small I have been asked to more exhibitions. As some of the boards of the old were getting like the star ship Enterprise i.e. warp factor three. I decided to retire it and build a new layout using the Playmobil radio controlled trains.

WALT’S NEW PLAYMOBIL TRAIN LAYOUT

The new layout is in modular form so that sections can be added or removed to fit the exhibition we are at. I used eight by four feet plywood boards as the basis.
They have been cut into three sections. The middle section is three lengths of Playmobil straight track deep. So the corner boards are foot feet wide and approximately thirty two inches deep. The other boards have been made four lengths of Playmobil track wide at approximately forty two inches each.

The smallest layout with three trains is sixty four inches deep by eight foot. If five trains are use it will be eleven and a half foot wide. This can be extended up to twenty five feet.

If the boards are set up eight feet deep. Three trains can be run on eight feet wide boards. If five trains are run this needs to be eleven and a half foot wide.
It would be possible to extend these boards up to about thirty feet.
As Playmobil have only made five radio controlled trains we can use them all on the layout.
If you went to look at pictures of the old layout go to www.gscalemad.co.uk
Then click on Show reports.
Then click on any of the following and look for Walt’s Playmobil.
Stroud Garden Railway Show 2007
Lincoln Garden Railway show 2007
Lincoln Garden Railway show 2006
Stroud North & South Show 2006
North & South Garden Railway Show 2005
The G-Wizz Event 2005

Photos of my Christmas Layout are on www.Stroudgardenrail.co.uk
Then click on Layouts and it is the last one.