Author Topic: CHRISTMAS IS COMING ...  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
CHRISTMAS IS COMING ...
« on: September 29, 2006, 15:02:24 »
Hello fellow Playmobil train enthusiasts ...

Christmas will be here before we know it. And, Christmas seems to be the time that many of us get out our Playmobil and LGB electric trains.

Now might be a good time to think about doing a check-up.

LGB has a very nice maintenance set that will last for many a pre-Christmas time tune-up for your Playmobil (or LGB) trains.

Maintenance set 50023 from LGB contains a track cleaning block, Phillips screwdriver, hex drivers and smoke/cleaning fluid.

It's a good idea to clean your track then put a drop of smoke/cleaning fluid on each rail BEFORE running your train. The wheels of the train will evenly distribute the smoke/cleaning fluid over your entire layout for better electric conductivity.

Don't forget your engines. Even though most Playmobil and LGB engines come with their gear boxes well lubricated, over time (and lack of usage) the factory installed lubrication may lose some of it's original value. Therefore it's a good idea to replace it from time to time.

LGB has lubricating oil (50019), lubricating paste (51020) and graphite paste (51010) available.

You can use LGB 50019 Maintenance Oil on any external bearings, like the ends of the connecting rods found on steam locos or the bearing points on all wheels. However, only a small amount of lubricant is needed. Too much lubricant attracts dirt and can cause damage.

Please remember: a "little bit" goes a LONG way. Too much can cause problems. So, use ALL lubricants sparingly !!!

Have fun and full steam ahead ... :)

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
Re: CHRISTMAS IS COMING ...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 16:21:40 »
Thanks for that very useful info Richard!

I admit that I am one of those who dust off the tracks, toss the trains on and expect them to run every time. I think a little maintenance of this sort will ensure the trains continue to operate for a long time.
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: CHRISTMAS IS COMING ...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 19:14:35 »
Thanks for that very useful info Richard!

I admit that I am one of those who dust off the tracks, toss the trains on and expect them to run every time. I think a little maintenance of this sort will ensure the trains continue to operate for a long time.

Unfortunately, I used to do the same thing. (I'm not sure that I even dusted them off.) ...;)

I think that I put the train on the tracks, turned on the power and hoped for the best ...  :-[

Then, after some expensive repairs, I realized that if you are nice to your trains your trains will be nice to you ... :)

Few of us enjoy maintenance, but it really doesn't take that long and it really pays off in the long run.

Thanks for your reply, Cap'n Henry.

All the best,
Richard

{misspelled "sure") ...  :eh?:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 21:39:52 by Richard »