Author Topic: Needing help. (sails for schooner)  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
Needing help. (sails for schooner)
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:48:09 »
I have an older set, 374Ø Royal Schooner, with no sails. I asked for replacements, but they said they don’t even make them anymore.
I am aware that the newer pirate/corsair ships have “compatible” sails, but they look like they’ve been through a typhoon- Hardly what a ‘proper’ royal schooner, I would think, would look like (although I did plan, possibly, to stitch in patching).
¿Is there anything anyone can do to help me here?
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Needing help. (sails for schooner)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:56:09 »

I've seen pics of customized Playmobil ships where the creators have made their own sails and they look amazing!

I'm sure there is someone here who will be able to advise on what materials work best for such a project.

Good luck with your ship restoration! I hope we will see some photos of the finished product one day. :)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 14:26:48 »
A still interlining works OK and you can punch the holes need to fit the sails to the spars using a leather punch.  However, the sails are just plain white then.  I'm sure Cap'n Henry has done stuff with sails.  Here's one brief link:

http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=1760.0

and you could always try eBay - eBay.de might be cheaper than eBay.com.

If you search here on "sails" it may bring up some useful posts.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 15:42:09 »
Hi Andy,

I just sent you a reply over at Garden Wargaming.

I made paper sails...works fine..except maybe in a squall!  ;D

Best regards,
Jimbo
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 15:53:08 by Jimbo »

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 19:06:41 »
All (and hopefully more),
Great thanks! My daughter is going to dcorate the sails, but what is "underlining"? Like broadcloth?(I have like a bolt of red broadcloth from a class a while back still siting around.)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 20:14:12 »
All (and hopefully more),
Great thanks! My daughter is going to dcorate the sails, but what is "underlining"? Like broadcloth?(I have like a bolt of red broadcloth from a class a while back still siting around.)

I'd written "still interlining" when I meant "stiff interlining".  However, my wife tells me the stuff is actually called interfacing so apologies for getting that wrong.  It is a material which comes in various degrees of stiffness and is used in dressmaking for stiffening a fabric.  For example, it would be put between the two pieces of material used for making a collar if the collar were wanted to stand up.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 05:32:55 »
I'd written "still interlining" when I meant "stiff interlining".  However, my wife tells me the stuff is actually called interfacing so apologies for getting that wrong.  It is a material which comes in various degrees of stiffness and is used in dressmaking for stiffening a fabric.  For example, it would be put between the two pieces of material used for making a collar if the collar were wanted to stand up.
Ya, that's what I thought. Still got tons of it lying around (in a box SOMEWHERE), so this would be a good use for a couple square feet. I got the mainsail pattern figured out the staysail will be a it more dificult (partly because the spars went missing).