Author Topic: Playmobil Aerial Ladder Platform (Fire Service Custom)  (Read 14435 times)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: Playmobil Aerial Ladder Platform (Fire Service Custom)
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 23:42:34 »
Hi again Tim!
I really like how you attached the high intensity spot lights on the rescue basket. I did the same option to my Tower Ladders, but attached them on the rear of the platform, & they are in the white color which blends in with the standard white ladder sections.
Your design favors a BRONTO SKYLIFT manufactured type ALP, is this where you came up with your concept? Awesome custom  :wow:!
Best Regards,
Bill
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:17:46 »
Excellent custom Tim, the workmanship is first rate!! Thank you for sharing these photos (wind must impose some major restrictions on the use of a rig of this type).

Gepetto

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 06:42:39 »
Wow, what a long ladder. Great idea and very well executed. Thanks for sharing this piece of equipment!

Offline noodwachter72

• Playmo Lover
  • Noodwachter Dutch civil defense
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 08:13:34 »
nice work this skay lift  and the pictures to

wear do the hydraulic koms from

Groet Peter
the imposable wy do direct
wonders take some time

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 10:54:02 »
Hello Bill :),

Thank you again for the feedback. The ALP was indeed based on the Bronto Skylift. Most of our country's real life aerials are all of a similar type and there is not as much variety as in the US. I have allways toyed with the idea of making a couple of fire engines based on US vehicles but a fire service fan on another forum beat me to the tower ladder and i didn't want to remake his design. I guess i could go back and have a look to see what i could come up with. Then we would have to start discussing a mutual aid policy Bill, just like some of the Lego fire service people do.
I had considered mounting some form of spotlight to the basket but until i came across your idea i didn't know how i was going to do it. When i saw your lights on the Tower ladder i thought it was great and decided to base mine on a similar concept :-[. I didnt have any white lights at the time so i had to use the old grey ones, i must admit white looks better.

Tim

Hello Gepetto :),

Thank you very much indeed for the kind reply. I think wind speed does play a big factor in their use. I do believe it gets pretty windy up their in the basket at the best of times. The ladder on mine was wobbling about quite a lot and i was worried it would snap off. I allways try to make as good a job of my customs as possible before i post them, but the downside of this is they take 3 times as long to make and i loose interest :lol: I tend to start something and then put it to one side to start something else because ideas come into my head all the time. This leads to lots of unfinished projects filling up my work room  :lol: I guess i should take some pictures and post them on the forum, it might inspire me to finally finish what i start  :lol:

Tim

Hello Little Jo :),

Thank you for the kind reply. The ladder was quite a tricky one to solve to be honest. I knew from the start i had to make the ladder longer or it would have been the same as any other Playmobil fire engine, but how to do it without making it to long was difficult. In the end i cut up an old ladder and added about 5cm to each piece. This didn't make much difference until i put the small ladder on with the basket at the end. To get a bit more height out of it i modified the end of the ladder (where it fits to the turn table). This allows the ladder to be raised a touch higher than normal. I think i scraped as much extra height out of this vehicle as practically possible. To have a bigger ladder now would mean a larger truck, but that's something i can do in the future !

Tim

Hello Peter :),

Thank you for the kind feedback. The hydraulic pistons come off one of the Playmobil excavators (set 3001). They prove really usefull for lots of different things including hydraulic props. I had to make these longer than normal and they had to have a small piece of red tape at the ends to stop them wobbling about in the cylinder.

Tim
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:00:48 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 14:32:15 »
Hello Bill :),
Thank you again for the feedback. The ALP was indeed based on the Bronto Skylift. Most of our country's real life aerials are all of a similar type and there is not as much variety as in the US. I have allways toyed with the idea of making a couple of fire engines based on US vehicles but a fire service fan on another forum beat me to the tower ladder and i didn't want to remake his design. I guess i could go back and have a look to see what i could come up with. Then we would have to start discussing a mutual aid policy Bill, just like some of the Lego fire service people do.
I had considered mounting some form of spotlight to the basket but until i came across your idea i didn't know how i was going to do it. When i saw your lights on the Tower ladder i thought it was great and decided to base mine on a similar concept :-[. I didnt have any white lights at the time so i had to use the old grey ones, i must admit white looks better.
Tim

Hello Tim!
I am honored that you used my idea in your custom regarding the spot lights! I don't consider it copying, but utilizing an idea to make something better!
EXCELLENT work Tim! EXCELLENT! You may want to change the position of the spot lights though, I use the round stem positioned into the red pivot pin platform holes behind the platform. You need to cut the flange off to fit it into the hole. It will then move as it dose now, but be out of the way of the platform  ;).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 16:41:29 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 16:11:49 »
Wow! :wow:,
Your custom ladder truck is  very well done!
Thanks for posting.
Best regards,
Jimbo

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 16:30:13 »
I'm speechless Tim!  That's an amazing custom even by your standards.

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Customizer

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 17:06:22 »
WOW a Amazing Custom !!

Very good work !!

GREAT !!

greetings

Andi

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 21:36:52 »
Hello Jimbo,

Thank you very for the kind feedback, its allways a pleasure to share the pictures on the forum.

Tim

Hello Gordon,

Thank you for your kind reply Gordon. I think you will probably remember the 'old' version, which didn't really work out well :lol: Hopefully i should have a few more custom vehicles to share in the not to distant future

Tim

Hello Andi,

Thank you for the kind feedback, its really appreciated. I am a really big fan of your work and have found it a great inspiration for my own projects :wow:

Tim

(28/5/03/850)