Author Topic: Sorry I'm late ...  (Read 64703 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Sorry I'm late ...
« Reply #230 on: December 22, 2005, 03:55:29 »
Hello, Mal ...

Hmmm ... What am I trying to say ... Let's see ...  ;)
And, I'd like a grammar checker too!

She DID TOO say that ...  :'(

I probably can't picture it either ...  :lol:

Happy Holidays,
Richard

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #231 on: December 22, 2005, 03:59:16 »
Hi Richard!

Hmmm ... What am I trying to say ... Let's see ... 
And, I'd like a grammar checker too!

:lol:

She DID TOO say that ...   

No, no, I don't think she did ... I think it was a figment of our collective imaginations  :P

and do they even HAVE a WalMart on St. Thomas?  It is, after all, the shopping capital of the world <shudder> ... okay, I'll bite my tongue now  :-X
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #232 on: December 22, 2005, 05:26:23 »
Psyche ~ Did you take those snorkeling pics?  If so, what kind of camera do you have, 'cause those are amazing!

Of course I took those photos Mal! I took them off webshots with my trusty super snorkle camera that I got at the Walmart on St. Thomas. (A very very scary thought.)  ;D

No, I didn't say that. I said "except the 2000 elections" not "2002" (I loves me modify button).  :toot:
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #233 on: December 22, 2005, 09:38:36 »
I looked all over for "Show unread posts since last visit" until I finally found it at the top of the page. That's pretty neat! (The "spell checker" is pretty neat too. I wonder if we should tell everyone where IT is too?) ...  :lol:

Have you had a chance to read this yet, RichardF.A.Q: Posting ;D
Spell Check is included there. The SMF Help section (accessed by the button in the top menu) is also full of useful tips. :)

I added the "show unread posts" and "new replies" links to the forum template because it doesn't usually come with this SMF theme. Maybe I should add a note about those to this page because I think other new members have overlooked them too? They certainly do make life a lot easier. :yup:

Seriously...I do wish the link color was a bit more of a contrast from the text box background. I often miss links (or am the missing link?) as they don't jump out at me.

This is a slight problem that I have noticed too, which is why I recommend highlighting words by bolding, bracketing or using other BBC tags when they are used to replace a URL.

All the links throughout PF are done in exactly the same style because they work from an in-built style sheet (css). I can alter the style sheet so that links automatically become underlined without users needing to add the code, but that would mean every single link (such as board headings, topic titles, member names) would then become underlined which might end up looking a bit messy. Not sure if we really want that, but I'm open to considering it.

I suppose we have to weigh up the aesthetic value against the ease of use....  :eh?:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 09:41:47 by Sylvia »

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #234 on: December 22, 2005, 13:35:41 »
... and do they even HAVE a WalMart on St. Thomas? ...

FIRST: Let me address Mal's question ... NO, we do not have a WalMart anywhere in The Virgin Islands! However, we do have a Super K-Mart! (And, we would only trade it for a Target!)

SECOND: I think that we may have pushed the limits of the Welcome forum well past the stretch point. We may be very close to the break point. Which means that maybe we all need to ask ourselves, "How successful will Playmofriends be without rules?" Especially as it continues to grow.

I've known Sylvia from other boards, and this is not the fun-loving good time lady that I remember. We're all having a good time while Sylvia seems to be carrying much of the burden of trying to maintain order and some semblance of balance. If Sylvia just threw her hands in the air and said, "Here it is, let's all have fun!" Would we have absolute chaos. And, would we destroy what y'all have worked so hard to build?

I don't know the answer, which is why I'm asking the question.

All the best and Happy Holidays,
Richard

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #235 on: December 22, 2005, 14:09:42 »
In my opinion on rules,
It is good to have them, and to try and enforce them even-handedly.

As to the wandering of this WELCOME topic.....
It is my opinion that this it is not against the rules, because a topic does wander.
If you, Richard, were to complain about the fact that this topic has wandered, and no one was welcoming you anymore, then splitting the topic would be in order.
It is my opinion that finding out more about you (or any member) is appropriate for the WELCOME topic
Since you have yet to complain, I dont think there is a need to split the topic, unless is becomes unwieldy and then it could be split, or a 2nd topic started to save hassle for the server (The reason why we started a 2nd Freudian word thread)

I dont think any of us want to be overly officious.
We want fun and friendship.
We want members to feel welcome and enjoy their time spent at this site.

As moderators, we want members to feel comfortable with us.
If they do have a problem or a question, we want them to come and talk to us.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #236 on: December 22, 2005, 14:47:18 »
Richard, the gentle meandering of this topic hadn't escaped the notice of any of the mods, so please don't think that they have been lax in their duties by allowing it to continue. ;D

We have discussed it and we all agreed that the topic was doing exactly what it should be doing - helping you to get to know everyone here and have some fun -  even though it wasn't strictly adhering to the usual conforms of a "welcome" topic. ;)

Maybe I have been overly indulgent, but I didn't see that we were causing any harm or too much forum chaos by allowing it to continue. If you'd like to make a final post I (or one of the others) can lock this topic if you really want us to. Otherwise, you could make another topic in PFZ and direct people there if you'd like to continue the discussions that have recently begun here. I'll leave it up to you! :-*

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #237 on: December 22, 2005, 15:48:23 »
Well said Meg and Sylvia. And yes Richard, Sylvia does put in loads of time as  Founder and Administrator.  Meg, Serenity's  and my work on guildelines, ideas, format,  testing, and everything from "what to call & how to time the kudo/wet noodle function", etc. came mostly before we opened the doors, yet continues to a lessor degree "behind the scenes."  We've not been called on to do much serious moderating as yet as our numbers are small and our membership amazingly well mannered, cooperative, and fun!  ;D  But we are watching... 8-)

Sylvia: the tip on using bold or italics for links is a good one and will help. I'll be sure to pass it on and perhaps we can make that more prominent a "tip" in the posting guidelines....now how to get folks to read them.  ???

Oh, and Meg is correct in our "off topic" policy. We are trying not to be rigid but reasonably flexible. So, for instance, if a "how to" or "parts request" topic goes significantly astray, we will split or redirect it as need be for it to serve it's purpose. However, this is a discussion forum and "discussion" do then to wander at times...so we'd like to leave that natural aspect of discorse intact wherever possible. None of us feel very comforatable wearing the "police" hat but will do our best to keep things orderly here.

And Richard: Rest assured that if (Zeus forbid) Sylvia "throws up her hands" and runs off to Tahiti, the forum will not turn into total chaos. (At least not right off. ;) ) As much as Sylvia is valued and needed, we've got her back   and we did build in "back up" support from day one. :)

Ok, I'll step aside now and let Richard decide what he would like to do.  I do think a PMZ thread for a meandering topic such as this would be fun...and more readily accessible to the membership. :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 15:52:00 by Psyche »
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #238 on: December 22, 2005, 21:08:29 »
Rest assured that if (Zeus forbid) Sylvia "throws up her hands" and runs off to Tahiti, the forum will not turn into total chaos. (At least not right off. ;) )

Very tempting, if only to get some sunshine and relaxation, but highly unlikely at this point in time. I'd have to rob a bank first. :P

Your new avatar looks very magical! :D

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #239 on: December 22, 2005, 22:56:28 »
Very tempting, if only to get some sunshine and relaxation, but highly unlikely at this point in time. I'd have to rob a
bank first. :P

Ah...then you must have this lot>:D  Ok, I know, a touch of advertising, but it's for a good cause. I can hold back the cop if you wish while you make your getaway! ;)

Your new avatar looks very magical! :D

Thanks! 'Tis the Season!  <*) She had to get jazzed up for the Solstice yesterday.