Author Topic: Un-Marked Police Camera Car  (Read 6139 times)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Un-Marked Police Camera Car
« on: July 13, 2008, 19:14:29 »
Hello Everyone, P)

I have been working on quite a few new projects recently and thought that it was about time i shared a few with the forum. This one was a quickie really and didn't involve much work but it has boosted my fleet of Police vehicles considerably and found a new use for the old police cars.

Unmarked Police Car:

All of my old police cars were retired when the new models came out to replace them and have been sitting idle ever since. This was quite a shame because the old cars have got quite a bit of character about them. They look as if they would be quite fast and have just enough room in the back for a small amount of equipment. This is when the idea struck me, i could use them as unmarked traffic cars. All i would have to do is peel the stickers off and give them a good clean (the stickers were in quite bad shape anyway). The only thing they needed was something special to set them apart from the old cars and this is where the cameras come into play. Both of the cars are rigged to carry camera equipment but only one car carries it at any given time.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 20:10:24 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Un-Marked Police Camera Car
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 19:15:00 »
Even unmarked Police vehicles need blue lights for use in emergencies, however these need to be hidden to away to make them difficult to spot unless they are being used. This vehicle has a magnetic light which can be stuck to the roof and two repeaters hidden behind the front grill. It also has small side repeaters on the front bumper to make it easier to spot at junctions and a small blue light concealed at the top of the rear window.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 19:40:23 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 19:15:17 »
The buisness end of this police vehicle is its high tech digital cameras and recording equipment. There are two cameras, one faces the front and the other faces the rear (the one in the front can be moved to point sideways if needed). Both cameras can record footage at the same time, either when the vehicle is moving or stationary. Aswell as recording video footage they can also display the offending vehicles speed and number plate (licence plate). The information gathered is displayed on the hand held data terminal where it is saved. Then it can be shown to the offending driver or used in court as evidence if needed.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 19:57:12 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 19:29:53 »
Hi Tim, a neat idea and clever bit of recycling.

The attachment to your second and third posts is missing.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 20:09:18 »
Hello Gordon,

Thank you very much indeed for the kind reply. The last two posts were left intentionally blank as place holders while i got to grips with the main body of text and pictures :). I tend to get in a panick :omg: and sometimes fail to finish uploading before the first reply's come in. Using these place holders gives me plenty of time to get the last batch of pictures uploaded before anyone reply's.

Kindest Regards Tim  P)

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 20:41:16 »
Good thinking.  I know the problem.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:19:58 »

Very, very creative, Tim! ...  :wow: :wow: :wow:

I don't know why I never customized any Playmobil vehicles. There are several different police vehicles that would be fun to make.

I can almost picture a Playmobil van customized as a crime scene command center or investigation unit.

Armoured SWAT team personnel carriers and riot/crowd control water cannon trucks would both be interesting customs.

Then there's the CIA's black SUVs. What does MI5 drive? Land Rovers?

I guess there may be a whole variety of police vehicles to make.

Thanks for a great custom, Tim ... and, for getting me thinking ...  :klickywink:

All the best,
Richard

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 02:29:26 »
Unexpectedly, I've been using old horses with the new one. (I still only have one new, but I'm in the conflict phase some here may have lived, when the new ones showed up ...)

As I saw Ralph Gemein's pictures, and how proudly he uses only the old kind, I came to think with myself what opinion should I make up for myself. (I still don't have an opinion.) But I've been using both, and will use them both kinds simultaneously, because they're two characters now, and of this I am very proud about!

With cars it's a little easier, maybe, once it shows that decades change car styles. In Europe they (are you in Europe or in the States, Tim? -- or where else? (...)) have those wonderful Deux Cheveaux up till this day, I think ... In Brasil we don't have small[, thin] cars but the [old] Volks Wagen [that we call "Fusca", and in English it's Beetle, I think], & I'd like to have a small [& thin] car ... Once there's none, I think about a ... don't know its name in English ... a Vespa?, Portuguese "lambreta" ...

But this old Playmobil car, in my opinion, looks like the old Fiats from the '80s.

Cars do get old too, in the Playmoworld ...

Gus
:blackhair:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 02:36:34 by Gustavo »
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 16:01:59 »

Very high quality of work, as always! :)9

I like the way you neatly organise and attach the extra accessories.
They look like they were part of the vehicles right from the start.  8-)

Thanks for sharing your latest creations with us, Tim!

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 19:39:16 »
Hello Richard

Thank you very much indeed for the kind feedback. The possibilities are certainly endless and i have some big plans in store for my police force. These include some of the vehicles you mentioned above, for instance the scene of crimes units and riot vans are high priority. I have one vehicle i would really like to make ;) but it involves finding out how it works on the 'inside' to make it authentic and i doubt very much i will ever find that out :(. If i did it would be the perfect vehicle to include in a photo story full of armed robbers ;) !! I am not sure what MI5 would drive but i would bet that high powered Range Rovers are on the list along with BMW's, Audi's and Merc's. I have some more plans for my SAS (Special Air Service) in the future but i will stay tight lipped on their roll in any photo story's.

Kindest Regards  Tim

Hello Gustavo

Thank you very much for the kind reply. I am quite a big fan of the old vehicles myself but there comes a point when some of them have to be retired from service :(. I allways try to update them with new versions as most of my 'special services' are run similar to real life. That means when a new model comes out the old one is taken out of service and replaced. The good thing is i can allways find a use for them and most get to take on new jobs some where else. That happened recently when i decided to give one of the very old Ambulances a new job and ever since i did i have been after another one !! Its like the old Police cars, i cant get my hands on enough of them now i have a new use for them.

Kindest Regards  Tim

Hello Sylvia

Thank you very much for your kind feed back. Its a pleasure to be able to share my work with Playmofriends again, i think the break has done me good. I have quite a few things up my sleeve so there should be plenty more in the coming months.

Kindest Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)