Author Topic: CAD (computer aided design) for Playmobil structures  (Read 16024 times)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
CAD (computer aided design) for Playmobil structures
« on: February 01, 2008, 20:28:16 »
I believe it, there are a lot of possibilities for the Roman sets. I really would like to see the seating section form the arena as an add-on, and even more an add-on seating section like that but straight instead of curved - then it would be possible to make a proper circus for chariot races.

A concept I would love to see (but would take a serious commitment from Geobra/Br.):
A computer game/software that is a CAD (computer aided design) for Playmobil structures.  The parts - probably just System X and other current release structure parts - would be programmed in, so you could make buildings that could actually be built. A possible income route for them would be to have the program create a parts list of what you have used in the building and then you could send the list off to a Playmobil email address and they would respond with the cost. If you could afford it you could respond with an order for the parts and they would be shipped to you. The game could have you set your location so the prices and part source would be correct for your closest shipping. The costs could potentially be stored in the game but it would require an updating process so they would stay current, as would the available parts to use in the CAD.
Even better for the castle fans out there would be a Steck expansion that would allow creation of those sorts of buildings too - and if they stocked the parts you can bet lots of people would be buying all sorts of Steck to make buildings with too.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 20:50:08 »
That sounds a great idea, Tim.  Are you going to put it to them?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 21:48:35 »

Hello, Tim ...

A concept I would love to see (but would take a serious commitment from Geobra/Br.):
A computer game/software that is a CAD (computer aided design) for Playmobil structures.

As I'm sure you already know, Lego fans have had such a program for quite awhile.

I fact, Lego Digital Deigner was recently updated.
see attachment

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 04:26:11 »
Yes, I've used an older version of that program in the past, but I got out of LEGO some time ago. I can't imagine this hasn't already occurred to Playmobil, if for no other reason than the increasing number of buildings being shown in the animations.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 12:19:46 »

I can't imagine this hasn't already occurred to Playmobil, if for no other reason than the increasing number of buildings being shown in the animations.

Zirndorf just never seems to think of these things, Tim ...

They all seem to have their heads someplace else up there in Klicky Towers.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:09:51 »
I believe it, there are a lot of possibilities for the Roman sets. I really would like to see the seating section form the arena as an add-on, and even more an add-on seating section like that but straight instead of curved - then it would be possible to make a proper circus for chariot races.

A computer game/software that is a CAD (computer aided design) for Playmobil structures.  The parts - probably just System X and other current release structure parts - would be programmed in, so you could make buildings that could actually be built. A possible income route for them would be to have the program create a parts list of what you have used in the building and then you could send the list off to a Playmobil email address and they would respond with the cost. If you could afford it you could respond with an order for the parts and they would be shipped to you. The game could have you set your location so the prices and part source would be correct for your closest shipping. The costs could potentially be stored in the game but it would require an updating process so they would stay current, as would the available parts to use in the CAD.
Even better for the castle fans out there would be a Steck expansion that would allow creation of those sorts of buildings too - and if they stocked the parts you can bet lots of people would be buying all sorts of Steck to make buildings with too.

A straight seating section would be great, but imagine how long a circus you'd need for a proper race!

How about a Roman Bath house?

Love the CAD idea - but can't see Geobra doing it, though it would indeed be a potential income spinner - and also might give them ideas for creating their own new sets. If they did it, they could incorporate an agreement that anything you design they can use, possibly for a "finders fee".

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 12:29:44 »

Hello, Martin ...

Love the CAD idea - but can't see Geobra doing it, though it would indeed be a potential income spinner - and also might give them ideas for creating their own new sets. If they did it, they could incorporate an agreement that anything you design they can use, possibly for a "finders fee".

Don't "count out" the CAD idea ...

Zirndorf absolutely hates it when Lego has something that they don't have (and vice versa) ... ;)

If we all keep talking up how really cool Lego's FANTASTIC downloadable design system is, the "message" will find it's way to Klicky Towers. What would really help is if one of our own program geniuses could find a way to modify the Lego program so that it works for Playmobil.

If we were all using a "modified" Lego SystemX CAD program, I could almost guarantee a Playmobil SystemX CAD program appearing rather quickly from Zirndorf! ... :lol:

All the best,
Richard

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 18:39:23 »
. . . A concept I would love to see (but would take a serious commitment from Geobra/Br.):

:omg:   Tim - this is what I have been fantasizing about for years!  I even investigated available CAD software to see what was around that could handle such a project (I didn't get very far though :-[)  I felt that such a program would also be a way for people to inventory the parts and sets they already have so that they can not only organize their collections but also experiment with virtual designs and know what additional parts are needed (as you were suggesting with the program generated price list.)  I imagined the possibility of changing colors as desired, too, so that one could see what a white steck castle would look like, for example.  This could also provide the basis for computer animations of Playmobil scenes.  Customizers would be able to see what their desired creations would look like before taking all those klickies apart.  I think that this type of software would be not only be a stand-alone success as a "game" but, as you say, Tim, a real potential money-maker for Geobra as people discover all the new designs they can make if they only had the right parts!  It is a wonderful idea!  Tim, you have done such a beautiful job with www.animobil.info, how much more difficult could this project be???   :toot:  :)

Zirndorf absolutely hates it when Lego has something that they don't have (and vice versa) ... ;)

If we all keep talking up how really cool Lego's FANTASTIC downloadable design system is, the "message" will find it's way to Klicky Towers. What would really help is if one of our own program geniuses could find a way to modify the Lego program so that it works for Playmobil.

Right on, Richard!  Let's do it!   :yup: 

I am now going over right now to look at that REALLY COOL FANTASTIC LEGO DOWNLOADABLE DESIGN SYSTEM PROGAM    ;D
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline extjmv

• Playmo Enthusiast
    • deMartina.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 19:27:41 »
The Software MLCAD for LEGO Design, can be used for Playmobil. "Someone" need to introduce the parts in the library.....

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 20:06:17 »
Using a LEGO software for Playmobil?  :o  ;) I think maybe that's just the thing Richard had in mind.
I've used MLCAD in the past and should look up the current version and see what it's like. I haven't ever done object creation for it so would have to do some research. Heather at PlaymoDB might be another source we should talk to about this I know she has been involved in some LEGO projects in the past.