Author Topic: Hello to all  (Read 11375 times)

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
Re: Hello to all
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 07:52:00 »
Hello Martin,

I've seen your posts here and on the other board. The RCMP had initially no trademark or copyright on their image or uniform. In 1994 or 1995 they trademarked it and entered into a commercial agreement with Disney to merchandise toys, soft toys wearing the RCMP red serge etc. Playmobil released the figure without knowing about the agreement or asking permission, subsequently they had to withdraw the figure.

P.S. I am jealous that you live in London. Greatest city in the world.
O brother where for art thou?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 08:55:18 »
Welcome from the UK. :wave:

I've never been to Paisley, but I have a penfriend there who I've been in touch with now for 15 years or so, who's father was a fireman.  From what he says in his letters, the place has problems.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 08:56:09 »
Be welcome from the South of Germany  :wave:

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 07:07:32 »
Hello Playmofire and Little Jo,

thanks for the welcome.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 12:52:02 »
Hello Martin,

I've seen your posts here and on the other board. The RCMP had initially no trademark or copyright on their image or uniform. In 1994 or 1995 they trademarked it and entered into a commercial agreement with Disney to merchandise toys, soft toys wearing the RCMP red serge etc. Playmobil released the figure without knowing about the agreement or asking permission, subsequently they had to withdraw the figure.

P.S. I am jealous that you live in London. Greatest city in the world.

Wow, I had no idea. Shame Playmobil didn't ask permission, you'd think they would out of respect.

I used to have a Mountie uniform for an Action Man, about 30 years ago. Very smart. Action Man now seems to have gone the silly fantasy/sci-fi route, and don't make realistic uniforms.

I wonder if Playmobil have the same problem with other uniforms/ That might explain why they haven't made Beefeaters, London Metropolitan Police, etc. which would be perfect for the tourist trade here in the Greatest city in the world  ;) and would undoubtedly boost sales of other Playmobil sets.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 13:34:32 »

Wow, I had no idea. Shame Playmobil didn't ask permission, you'd think they would out of respect.

Hello, Martin ...

It wasn't just out of "disrespect" ... As the Abbot said, "In 1994 or 1995 they trademarked it and entered into a commercial agreement with Disney to merchandise toys ..." (and everything else). This meant that Horst would have had to pay a licensing fee to the RCMP through Disney Canada. I'm sure that Mr. Brandstätter remembered the Mountie "toy soldiers" of his youth (from several different manufacturers), so it probably never occurred to him that he might be infringing upon a trademarked property. (It would be much the same as making Playmobil French Foreign Legionaires, or Playmobil Swiss Vatican Guard, etc.) The "Mounties" were thought to be an historical and romantic public property like Cowboys and Indians, the American Civil War, the Conquistadores, the Pirates, etc.

So, when Horst learned that he had to pay a licensing fee, he was no doubt justifiably surprised. And, probably even a bit angered as I'm sure that the Disney Canada folks were not very warm and understanding. Then add to that Playmobil's policy of NEVER having a product that is licensed such as Lego with Star Wars, Harry Potter and now Indiana Jones.

The Playmobil Mountie was doomed! Which is a real shame, because I remembered the fun I had as a boy playing with my little Mountie "toy soldiers" made by that wonderful English firm ... W.Britains. I just feel that lots of young boys (and some girls) are going to miss out. And, so is the RCMP!

All the best,
Richard

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 14:23:39 »
True about the historical aspect, and I guess not everyone knows the RCMP are still alive and kicking. I would just have expected Geobra to do their research, and get in touch with the RCMP before producing their version. It just seems polite, if you're going to copy someone's uniform, to get their permission. These days it might be simply a matter of an exchange of emails.

I'm actually slightly disgusted by the RCMP granting a sole license to the voracious Disney monster. it seems so short sighted, and almost like selling out, but I suppose it was a quick fix, and they get some revenue from it. I wouldn't be suprised too find the RCMP having to pay fees to Disney so they can continue to wear their uniforms.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 15:05:30 »

I would just have expected Geobra to do their research, and get in touch with ...

Hello. Martin ... (Sorry to thread-jack your welcome topic, Abbot!)

As I said earlier, "it probably just never occurred to them." As, this was not the only case where Playmobil has run afoul of trademark infringement and licensing.

Recently, we were all asked by Chrysler-Daimler not to call any Playmobil vehicle a "Jeep," as the name is trademarked. Playmobil will no longer produce the familiar Jeep grill (oIIIo) any longer. IMO, this trademark thing has really gone a bit too far!

So ... for everyone's enjoyment (and amusement), here's a picture of that wonderful little Playmobil JEEP (with grill) from long ago ...
see attachment

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 16:16:14 »
Hello. Martin ... (Sorry to thread-jack your welcome topic, Abbot!)

IMO, this trademark thing has really gone a bit too far!

Nice Pic! Obviously Chrysler-Daimler haven't heard the phrase "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

I think they're also being short-sighted. Playmobil isn't competing weith real Jeeps, but I could imagine the young owner of a Playmobil Jeep buying a real one, because they had a toy one.

Apologies for the thread-jack too!

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 16:45:54 »
Hello Martin and Richard

Martin I remember the Mountie uniform that Action Man released in the seventies, it was wonderful.

As for copyright with the RCMP I actually believe they should not have copyrighted what is essentially a public image that belongs to Canada and the Canadian people. Like myself, a lot of RCMP members are embarassed that Disney is involved in the agreement.