Author Topic: The Movie: Series 2 (70139)  (Read 1918 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
The Movie: Series 2 (70139)
« on: December 21, 2022, 19:46:16 »
Yes, I know... LATE.

direct playkingdoms link

Hope I didn't miss anything..

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
Re: The Movie: Series 2 (70139)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 01:46:11 »
Many thanks for your review!

It is a great series of figures. Generally, Playmobil THE MOVIE is a marvellous product line. I miss the days of Super 4 and the Movie - all excellent sets.

THAT hair is a very versatile support for all kinds of helmets and other headwear. It might be ugly, but it is useful because it is small and does not get in the way. It has it uses.

Black Knight comes with a Zorro head because the black mask masks the skin colour that would otherwise be visible through the openings in the helmet. I don't like the Zorro head, but is has its uses.

Legionary is on his way to become one of the most desirable (and expensive!) figures around. I have a dozen or so, and know that I wouldn't be able to afford to collect that same number again. I hope some more may find their way to you.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 09:40:41 »
Thanks for another great review, tahra! This series completely passed me by, so it was interesting to see what I missed. As you said, the heads are among the best parts, along with torso printing. The comparison of the klickies with their digital counterparts showed several times how the Movie departed from what is possible with real life Playmobil.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 21:16:40 »
It is a great series of figures. Generally, Playmobil THE MOVIE is a marvellous product line. I miss the days of Super 4 and the Movie - all excellent sets.

Found them a bit messy at times, but loads of interesting and useful parts....

THAT hair is a very versatile support for all kinds of helmets and other headwear. It might be ugly, but it is useful because it is small and does not get in the way. It has it uses.

Well, apart from that tall hat from the gards.. is there ANY other that requires that hair? For variety it works (with a
beard!) ... but in numbers.. NO :P

While on the subject: Is there ANY other hair that works with that hat? With the strap, I mean? Cause if there is... I NEED IT.

Black Knight comes with a Zorro head because the black mask masks the skin colour that would otherwise be visible through the openings in the helmet. I don't like the Zorro head, but is has its uses.

Point. Though since we never see the guy without the hair..

Legionary is on his way to become one of the most desirable (and expensive!) figures around. I have a dozen or so, and know that I wouldn't be able to afford to collect that same number again. I hope some more may find their way to you.

We'll see.... :)  My wallet claims I "DO NOT NEED MORE LEGIONS!!!"  ::)

As you said, the heads are among the best parts, along with torso printing. The comparison of the klickies with their digital counterparts showed several times how the Movie departed from what is possible with real life Playmobil.

Yes, some were kinda strange choices - especially for the Charlie's viking, since he was supposed to have him in klicky form. That was a mess up, imo. Unlikely the kid would have such a custom, and if he had, HE WOULD NOT USE IT AS A FREAKING KEYCHAIN!! (rant mode off ;) )

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2022, 02:16:04 »
Great review as always. Sadly the movie sets didnt sell well in the US so this series never made it here. I sourced a set from Europe. The unique figures will stay in demand for some time I suspect.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 10:40:58 »
Great review as always. Sadly the movie sets didnt sell well in the US so this series never made it here. I sourced a set from Europe. The unique figures will stay in demand for some time I suspect.

I suppose they botched it... Ok, I am biased, but even with its faults, it was the best of the year :P  (I was hopeful for Terminator, but (as feared) the only saving bit there was the wonderful Linda Hamilton - and lets not forget that it is likely the reason the gods gave us covid  >:(  ::) )..

I find the sets weird by themselves - unless you want to reenact the movie, but so many amazing parts and creatures. I am still disappointed they didn't release the dino... AND the frowning chicken!

Oh, marketing wise, HOW COULD THEY NOT do a passport? With the stickers on each set? I mean.. REALLY?!

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 00:41:47 »

While on the subject: Is there ANY other hair that works with that hat? With the strap, I mean? Cause if there is... I NEED IT.

Wouldn't the Odd Job hair from the James Bond set work?
This one should too:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 12:05:25 »
Wouldn't the Odd Job hair from the James Bond set work?
This one should too:

Well, I'm sure the "bald" one would work, but we'd need an old head, without the beard notches... I don't want a bald guard, I think :P

As to that one - yes, it works! Though... I believe it may not be an improvement.. Need to try maybe with a beard/mustache (printed)... maybe that'd work.

Regardless, that's great for variety - and that hair now exists in like 6 colors, at least..

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 15:08:25 »
Great review and custom figures, as always, tahra! :D

Did you add some gold paint to the neckpiece on one of the custom figures made with parts from the Black Knight?
~Pynedor~

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 18:28:54 »
Great review and custom figures, as always, tahra! :D

Did you add some gold paint to the neckpiece on one of the custom figures made with parts from the Black Knight?

Thank you :)

Both, actually - on the "border" for her, and on the "nails" for him...