Author Topic: playmobil & disney!?  (Read 1393 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
playmobil & disney!?
« on: December 02, 2022, 08:35:31 »
I believe this deserves its own thread...

The relevant sentence - applying to 123:
Six playsets inspired by Disney’s Mickey and Minnie Mouse as well as Winnie the Pooh, Tigger and Piglet will be launched summer 2023 for fans of all ages.

And here is one of the numerous links, if you wanna see the rest: https://www.anbmedia.com/news/2022/12/playmobil-disney-form-new-partnership-first-license-for-the-playmobil-toddler-portfolio/

Opinions?

These days, means nothing to me. And 123.. but I am SURE they will be cute and expensive and I'll want some....  ::)

Also.. will this make more interesting licensing closer? 
(wallet shudders violently)

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
Re: playmobil & disney!?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 20:34:25 »
I am surprised that Disney made this agreement, considering how many different toy manufacturers they are already involved with.

Perhaps it could result in some nice future sets or parts, but I think what we will more likely see will be more price increases and a further reduced selection of sets from the traditional themes.
~Pynedor~

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 22:57:22 »
Can Playmobil fall any further?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 01:22:23 »
Disney owns Star Wars. They also own Marvel comics. And Pixar. And the Muppets. There are a ton of interesting possibilities once this door opens. Are there risks? Absolutely.  If they are going to license though , at least let it be mainstream stuff that could sell well and support the other lines. One off licenses of vintage properties aren't going to keep the company afloat.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 13:21:54 »
Gravitational power ever increasing momentum on the slippery slope

We’ll if the characters are going to be 123, perhaps they could be utilized in a carnival/circus setting in dioramas
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 19:33:29 »
Welp, I can see it going downhill from here. I can see the original brand as we know be completely replaced by name-brand marketable garbage. Thank God or places like eBay that sell the good stuff.

I'd like to believe that fans will keep the original spirit alive, but at this point I'm not so sure. Playmobil has tried its hardest to alienate us from it that there may be no serious impact anymore. :(

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2022, 18:49:57 »
Mmmm ... I see plenty of risks; but also plenty of opportunities.
Time will tell which will prevail.

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 23:48:12 »
As far as I can tell Disney is a bit of a tar baby to get involved with - they are a gigantic corp with rafts of lawyers prepared to control everything down to the tiniest inch. Maybe PM will one day be fully acquired by Der Maus.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 00:02:58 »
I don't think it's possible for it to be sold to Disney or anyone. When HOB died he left the company in his will as a charitable? not for profit? corporation. They are not privately or publicly owned. I don't really understand this company type but know he didn't leave it to his son as he could have. It's run by a board.

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2022, 21:49:25 »
I don't think it's possible for it to be sold to Disney or anyone. When HOB died he left the company in his will as a charitable? not for profit? corporation. They are not privately or publicly owned. I don't really understand this company type but know he didn't leave it to his son as he could have. It's run by a board.

Well what's stopping the board from selling it to Disney?