Author Topic: Playmobil Canada's crazy price increases  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
Re: Playmobil Canada's crazy price increases
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 23:45:20 »
Maybe branding is giving the retailer an excuse to pump up prices.  I DO understand that, say,  Mr Spock and Scooby Doo cost more because of licensing fees.  I do NOT understand how that applies to Novelmore and Ayuma, which AFAIK are internal brands.

One of the reasons for this could be that they are trying to offset some increased costs of launching these themes with the (likely expensive to produce) series.

Or take the BEAUTIFUL 9893 3-viking set, which is $8 here, and use Pynedor's price-per-klicky to compare to the 70672 Novelmore 3-pack of soldiers, which is $12.   I do not know what the extra 50% is for, except for a blister pack and eye strain.

Unfortunately, I fear that all of the stock of older sets like those Vikings that still have lower prices will eventually be sold, and those prices will not return with any of the newer sets. :(
~Pynedor~

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 09:22:29 »
I don't really think their needs to be any logical reason for the prices, other than 'what they think they can get away with'. That's capitalism!

Offline BlueWizard

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 19:14:43 »
I don't really think their needs to be any logical reason for the prices, other than 'what they think they can get away with'. That's capitalism!

Exactly!  :lol:

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2022, 03:34:41 »
I can't speak for Canada, but I do know that my prices have increased in the US. I have been a Playmobil dealer for 11 years, and this year has seen more increases than I have ever seen. I can also say that it isn't just Playmobil. Every vendor I have has increased their prices in some way. Freight terms and freight costs are all over the place too. It's been difficult to balance customer expectations with my costs.
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline BlueWizard

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2022, 20:35:23 »
Actually I am relying on the local retailers now and forgoing ordering from the PM website. Some of the sets have gone up (on the PM website) since the retailers set their prices... so it's now 10 to 20% cheaper to buy local (for some sets - if they can get the stock in)!

David