Author Topic: Hello from the centre of the universe  (Read 1665 times)

Offline m00f

• Playmo Pal
Hello from the centre of the universe
« on: December 16, 2021, 10:08:18 »
Good Morning, afternoon, or evening depending where you are in the world.
I am in my early 50's and live near Ostersund in Sweden. I am not Swedish, my wife is. I am originally from London. We moved here 4 years ago in the search for a better life. I don't know if we have found it, but our quality of life is much better. We live in a small village, about 30 miles to the nearest town, in the middle of the forest. At the moment it is -10 outside and we have more snow than you can shake a stick at, which we will have until May.

My love for Playmobil started in the mid 70's when i received some Playmobil for Christmas. Since then we have had 3 kids who are now in there late 20's. For birthdays and Christmas we would always buy them playmobil.

Last week my wife and I started to go through boxes we hadn't opened after we moved here (we still have a room full) and guess what we came across....You guessed it PLAYMOBIL
I never realised how much we had bought them over the years. I had totally forgot about the 3 train sets and all the cars, trucks etc. It re-sparked my interest. So i got thinking....
I have a huge basement that is not being used and I plan to build a playmobil world, which i will call "Utopia"
The space is 10 meters by 8 meters, so pretty big.
I have a great sense of humour which is very dry, the Swedes don't get it..... I plan on taking lots of pictures and doing stories which I will post here, as the build progresses.

From what I have read it seems that most of us are in the 40's and 50's. I wonder who we actually bought all this stuff for years ago, us or our kids :D
It  is great to be part of a community who shares my passion and I look forward to reading your posts, and sharing my Playmobil experience with you all.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: Hello from the centre of the universe
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 12:50:51 »
Welcome from sunny California

Looking forward to your basement project

With the snow, seems you’ll have plenty of time to build

Started out “for the 3 kids” but quickly spiraled out of control
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 13:22:06 »
Welcome from Portugal!

The space is 10 meters by 8 meters, so pretty big.

I am jealous of such an area. I believe space is the number one enemy for a collector.

I wonder who we actually bought all this stuff for years ago, us or our kids :D

I don't. We always bought them for us. No excuses needed. (which is good, considering I have no kids :P )

Looking forward to pics - lots and lots of pics!!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 14:19:12 »
A warm welcome from North Yorkshire!   :wave:
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 16:03:00 »
Welcome from Blighty! It's +10 degrees here, no snow at all, so I will just have to shake a stick at something else  :(

I'm excited to see your PM collection and display barn. Something to keep you busy until the snow melts!

Jealous!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 16:08:47 »
A warm welcome from the Netherlands!

Seems you have the space most of us can only dream of.
But do not worry - even you will run out of it sooner as you want  :lol: .

Enjoy!

Mark
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 18:11:32 »
Hi! I'm in Antwerp, Belgium and in my late thirties, so I bought all my Playmobil for ME  ;D

I'm excited about your project (and space) and look forward to seeing it progress.
Your place sounds lovely - and being snowed in is the perfect opportunity to enjoy countless hours fiddling with the world's best toy. Enjoy!!

P.S. There is a chance this project will lead to buying more Playmobil   :lol:

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 20:58:46 »
Welcome from the Netherlands!
I have 2 small children <3y so the playmobil is definitely for me  ;)
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 23:32:30 »
Welcome! <*) I too look forward to seeing your collection and reading your stories!

From what I have read it seems that most of us are in the 40's and 50's.

Not all of us! ;)
~Pynedor~

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 23:35:04 »
Welcome from Oregon USA!  I look forward to seeing your progress, dioramas are my favorite thing