Author Topic: 9441 - Knight with Cannon  (Read 886 times)

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
9441 - Knight with Cannon
« on: June 07, 2021, 09:46:16 »
I have reviewed the knight (so-called) with cannon this week, #9441. I'm a bit of a sucker for his kettle helmet! But I do wish you could still get the horse harness from the spare part service.  :( I think he needs some help pulling the cannon around. Let me know what you think?

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: 9441 - Knight with Cannon
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 11:53:46 »
Another good one :)

The problem with these new "cannon-non-balls" is that they are useless in a dio or whatever. They can only be used to shoot, otherwise look silly. I think. :P

Offline drbatesy

• Playmo Fanatic
    • Early Modern Playmobil
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 12:22:31 »
That's a good point - I don't do dioramas so hadn't thought of it like that. I have all my 'cannonballs' stored away and just have the artillery out on show. I mean, you don't need to see bullets coming out of the pistols to play with them, so why do you need to see cannonballs coming out the cannons? My five-year-old thinks of them as water pistols/cannons anyway!  ;D

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 12:58:46 »
Nice soldier but his legs are altogether wrong – less sophisticated boots would work better. His collar and body are very useful. I have no problem fitting his scale armour in an occidental context.

Ah, Playmobil projectiles! They started with small spherical cannon balls a child could literally choke on. I guess that must have happened once or twice because next came the "coffee beans": cannon balls with clefts that would allow some oxygen to bypass the obstruction in the wind pipe. Still too dangerous, they were substituted by the arrows that you show.

Thanks for the review!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 13:12:11 by StJohn »

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 13:13:39 »
Thanks for sharing another well-written review!

His red shirt appears to have pieces of plate sewn into the front, a style which I have seen in Japanese armour but not in Europe.

Klickies have been wearing that kind of armor for years, but it's hard to find historical equivalents because the gaps between the metal plates make little sense (unless you have some other form of protection inbetween). Closest match I've been able to find is the kuyak [external link], which was in use in Eastern Europe; but it's way more likely Playmobil took inspiration from movie costumes.

I have no problem fitting his scale armour in an occidental context.

At the end of the day, if one were to go for absolute accuracy, brigandines and gambesons would be everywhere; but I have to admit that, in toy form, they wouldn't have much in the way of visual appeal. So, metal plates it is!

I guess it must have happened once or twice because next came the "coffee beans": cannon balls with clefts that would allow some oxigen to bypass the obstruction in the wind pipe.

It had never occurred to me that was the reason behind the peculiar shape.  :o