Author Topic: An idea for a railway maintenance crane  (Read 3105 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
An idea for a railway maintenance crane
« on: February 26, 2013, 09:04:54 »
Having bought this 3438 tow truck, it suddenly struck me that with the lettering and artwork removed it could form the basis for a railway maintenance wagon.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
Re: An idea for a railway maintenance crane
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 15:18:31 »
This is indeed very ingenious of you dear Friend  :)

Karim
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 19:54:16 by playmovictorian »
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 17:26:20 »
That is very clever, Gordon!  It wouldn't have occurred to me and it will become a very useful addition to any railway set up.  :)9
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 21:33:31 »
Oh yes that would be good. Much less likely to tip over than the big mobile crane type we did in Seattle.

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 21:49:44 »
Indeed that does look like potentially a good start to a crane good luck with it  :)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 13:54:07 »
Gordon, that is a very clever custom crane for your train empire. It looks to fit just right and the colors are a perfect match. The boom slides in and out but it looks like the outriggers are permanently protruding off the bed of the flat car. I was wondering if the outrigger interfears with the coupling of the train or do you leave this as the last car on the train?
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 15:08:53 »
As yet, Ras, it's got no further than what you see in the photo, a mockup, but the point you make is a good one.  Cutting the "hooks" the end board of the truck slides into would set the crane a few mm further back, and this would improve clearance.  If not, it would have to be the last wagon on the train, as you suggest.

EDIT:  In fact, I only tried this out after seeing the other version using the big yellow crane because I'd got the vehicle in pieces to wash after buying it.  It's in excellent condition, so if I was to make the custom, I'd try and find one in poorer condition or even just someone selling the rear section and the crane parts.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 17:28:14 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline 2005huysmans

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 19:51:13 »
great idea