Author Topic: 4206 Forest Truck (Jeep)  (Read 10611 times)

Offline Outback

• The Original Playmo Jeep Guy!
  • Playmo Fanatic
  • Everything Playmobil Jeep!
    • Jeepmobil is being revamped - but there's Jeeps here!
4206 Forest Truck (Jeep)
« on: February 15, 2007, 19:19:08 »
4206 Review

Well, after finally getting back to Playmo and my hands on a couple of these new sets, I thought I would post my first review in a couple years. And just to keep in character - on a Jeep set!

4206 Forest Truck, which isn't all that unfamiliar with most of you, is a nicely surprising set. Firstly, the price is great for what you get compared to past Jeep sets that often were quite a few dollars more. The pricing on this is perfect for those who are not sure about Playmobil and want to test the waters and still get great play value and bang for your buck. I won't go into detail about all the parts and bits and pieces as these are readily visable on the packaging but I will spend some time on some of the features that make this set refreshingly new.

For me, being a PLM Jeep collector, this set is exciting because it brings back some old componants that were lacking, and adds some new ones that were also lacking. Three cheers and a 21 pirate gun salute for Playmobil on those aspects. And thanks for listening to our requests.

The first item of special note is the Utility Trailer. This is a revamp and re-use of the original PLM Jeep trailer first seen in 3532 back in the early 80's. It now comes to us in new colouring (original is seen below) to match this new Jeep.

A very welcome addition in my books as the older trailers were getting very difficult to find when needed. I have 2 w/o chasis & wheels that I would love to repair someday. If anyone has these stray parts I would be most interested in a purchase or trade. Anyway, the new utility trailer is most excellent and will find a multitude of uses around Jeepmo Creek with my Jeepmobilers.

Next is the Cab and removable Hard Top section. This is the most interesting and major new change to these Jeeps since their inception. I like this. It provides us with an answer to what was a huge lack of variety and options. Now we have something unique to add to the range of Jeeps to be seen roaming the various lands of Playmobil. The new cab and top combination provide some fun options in play arrangements - full cab, half cab, and half cab with sun roof. But wait, there is one more option. If you have a spare windshield around, you can completely remove the cab section and run the Jeep completely open. Like this...

But don't expect to put this cab onto any other chasis w/o some part reworking. Only the 4206 chasis has the cut outs for the cab mounts. Now, if I recall correctly I proposed a removable hard top for the Jeep back in 03 or 04. I never expected it to happen, and it probably wasn't anything I had any influence over, but hmm... now we have one. Super deal! Playmobil, you are my Hero!!!!!

Another item that seems to have undergone an upgrade is the tires. These new ones seem to be a bit bigger and with a new tread design. When actually compared to the 3018 are very much taller a tire with a more agressive tread...

... a uniqueness to this Jeep set only for the time being.

Some tire swapping experimentation from Jeep to Jeep may start taking place around here in days to come.

The Klicky is also a nice new addition with good wholesome outdoors character possibilities. In fact, parts of him may find their way into my old personal avatar for updating or vice versa. Speaking of the Klicky, there is one discrepancy in this kit and he is it. The box shows a klicky wearing a green jacket w/ hat, and the actual Klicky is wearing a green jacket w/ hat, but the plans show him in a brown jacket w/ brown hat.

I wonder what happened to his brown clothes?

The rest of the kit is more or less standard issue with the exception of the siver-grey Jerrycan. This is a new development in the Jeep sets. So far to date there has been White, Red, Yellow, and Green (exclusive German Zebra Safari Jeep) Jerrycans that I am aware of. I may have to beg some of my Euro friends to order up some DS Parts for me if they can be so persuaded.

Overall a great set. Huge play possibilities, huge customising possibilities, very photogenic, and very refreshing to see Playmobil doing some newer stuff with newer options and configurations while at the same time providing access to some of the older items again. But........ will the case of the Klicky's clothes mystery be solved? Sorry, that's not my department. I'm only the Playmo Jeep Guy.

Watch future postings for more detailed photos of this Jeep (and more) in action @ Jeepmobil.

Cheers,
Dunc

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 4206 Forest Truck (Jeep)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 21:08:07 »
Thanks for that very comprehensive and interesting review, Dunc.  I hadn't realised that the  new model was really the old jeep with some new parts; I'd thought it was entirely new.

Looking ahead, this year in Germany there is a new release of the old jeep with a canvas top from the screen to the back.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 23:21:19 »
Yes, I've seen it.  :yup:  :love:

I am looking forward to its arrival, and a few extra DS soft tops too. The only thing I am not so happy about is that the Jeep is red.  :hmm:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 00:52:40 »

Looking ahead, this year in Germany there is a new release of the old jeep with a canvas top from the screen to the back.

Is this the one, Gordon? (see attachment)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 03:36:18 »
Thanks Dunc, nice to see.
Question - front grille?
I notice the newer than new ragtop has a different grill style - yes?

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 05:33:07 »
No grille on the 4206. It's the sterile version.

Yes, new grille on the 4189. Not very Jeepish unfortunately. Has a foriegn made copy look to it. But maybe it can be modified? Or, maybe it's a sticker? In either case the appearance could be worked out. We will have to wait for reports from Germany this summer.

New front bumper on the 4189 also. Aftermarket tube style. Has some possibilities, but my preferance is still the original older style.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:25:56 »
Yes, that's the one, Richard, and the grille on the new jeep for 2008 reminds me of the current Jeep Cherokee grille, Dunc.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 15:44:29 »
Yeah it's odd looking Gordon. It is starting to look like a BBQ Grill to me - I think that's what I'm gunna call it. the BBQ JP Grille  :lol:

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 19:11:05 »
Nice review Dunc. :)

This jeep really is neat, infact I didn't realise that it was a jeep under that cab but a new vehicle to the Playmo range.

The new larger tyres look good, have they dropped the axle's to make them fit under the mud guards?
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Outback

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 19:55:53 »
Actually Garry, no drop and no new axle, they just seem to fit. Though if you look close, the rear wheels are real tight in the wells.

I like the new wheels but I hope they don't just stick them on everything now. That would take the uniqueness and fun out of it, making everything the same again. There needs to be a bit of variety and individuality between the Jeep models IMO.

But then again, that's what makes customising fun.  ;D