Author Topic: 5139 Soldiers Fort with dungeon treasure  (Read 28402 times)

Offline Elric

• Playmo Master
Re: 5139 Soldiers Fort with dungeon treasure
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2011, 23:19:52 »
This is a neat set.  I picked it up today and it looks alot better in person.  The klicky's are awesome.  TRU has all the pirate theme at 20% off.  I'm still haven't seen the blue cannon boat yet but they have the rest of the theme though.

Offline Celeste in New Orleans

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2011, 00:53:32 »
I'm glad you posted this. I have been thinking about getting this set for my son. I said I wouldn't buy anything else, but this set is awesome!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2011, 18:19:31 »
Thank you for this awesome review, Panos! You'd be a great product representative for Playmobil :lol:!, BTW, shouldn't we have controlling interest in the company for all of the products we've bought? ;)
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2011, 20:53:35 »
Thank you for this awesome review, Panos! You'd be a great product representative for Playmobil :lol:!, BTW, shouldn't we have controlling interest in the company for all of the products we've bought? ;)

:lol: I wish Playmobil could see and understand it this way Bill!!  :yup:

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2011, 13:28:07 »
It works nicely as a little pirate fort too.

Although the Brittish troops tend to disagree.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2011, 14:28:33 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: good one Rhalius!!

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2011, 17:10:32 »
And the pirates make the same mistakes as the britains, drinking on duty from what seems the same botle! ;)
:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2011, 21:01:23 »
Heh well the captain has ordered them to hoard all the stolen gold, so they can't go spending it on new rum bottles.  :)
And that guy is just too happy to finally be off that little island to care about whose lips touched that bottle.  :lol:

Offline conniefrere

• Playmo Master
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2011, 06:45:21 »
Heh well the captain has ordered them to hoard all the stolen gold, so they can't go spending it on new rum bottles.  :)
And that guy is just too happy to finally be off that little island to care about whose lips touched that bottle.  :lol:

:lol: :lol:
:playmo: :egypt: :roman: :builder: :playmo:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2012, 19:53:02 »
:) i just thought on showing the bugio fortress in the middle of tagus river.
its building started at the end of the 16th century.
although by then forts were usually star-pointy it was decided to make this one round to better withstand the force of the sea waters surrounding them.
playmofire is right when saying that round walls are stronger than flat ones.
but when ballistic science produced firearms (cannons using powder) instead of rock-throwing the round concept had to be abandoned and the sloped-walls in a star-plan were introduced.

Well, yes and no on the round vs. pointy forts.

Henry VII built many castles to house gunpowder cannons and a garrison to work them to defend the English coast against invasion, and many examples can be visited along the south Coast of England from Kent to Cornwall. These castles were very much rounded in pattern. Examples you can still visit (on the internet and/or in person) include Camber Castle, Walmer Castle, Portland Castle, Nothe Fort, Calshot Fort, Pendennis Castle and St Mawes Castle, to name but a few.

Pendennis & St Mawes form an interesting pair. Built to guard the entrance to Falmouth Harbour, on opposite headlands at the river mouth. At the time a cannon could only fire accurately to a distance of 1/2 a mile, so two forts were required to cover the mile wide river estuary.

By the time of his daughter Elizabeth's reign, gunpowder and ballistics had improved so much that only one fort was required to cover the mile wide entrance. St Mawes wes effectively mothballed, while Pendennis, nearer to Falmouth, was developed further. As a consequence you can visit in one day a 16th Century Castle (St Mawes), almost untouched by time, and then Pendennis which was re-used every time invasion was a concern, right up to WW2.

The star-shaped Forts originated in Italy long before Henry was building his round forts and castles, indeed before he was even born, but spread across Europe from Italy slowly, starting around the 1540s.

If we take it that this little structure is of British construction, and old by the time we see it in use, i think a rounded construction is quite acceptable.

As for the color of the stone and sand in this set - sand is not one uniform color across all beaches, indeed often not even on the same beach, so why should all Playmobil sand be one color? Similary the Spanish lighthouse may be constructed from a lighter-colored stone than the British Bastion, or it may simply have been whitewashed to provide greater visibilty. It is after all a lighthouse, and intended to be seen.

I only got this set this week (using a 20% off coupon from the Playmodays giveaway figures), so apologies for being late to the discussion. I like the set for the same reasons others do, lots of small bits, the figures are in general good, especially the Gentleman Adventurer, and the fortification itself, if a little small, is at least workable as a small harbor defense. Had it been $150 and a lot larger, I think it would have been beyond my pocket.

I'll use this as the British harbor, the Lighthouse as the Spanish harbor, and something else as the Pirate's base, and have a huge naval battle in the garden some day.