Author Topic: Klicky Painting for Dummies ~ (Experts Please Help Us Wannabes)  (Read 14533 times)

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
I know most of this has been explained before in various places but I'm really seriously wanting to do some nice painting and my previous attempts have be mediocre at best. I find I have a few recurring questions and hope you experienced customizers can help:

(1) how do you hold (or what do you use to hold) the klicky when painting it. The two times I've tried I find my fingers just get in the way.

(2) what is meant by color resist?

(3) what do you think of top coats? Sealers? I hear they are a must if one is using acrylics but what works best? 

(4) do you use a primer coat? If so, again, what has worked best for you?

(5) what size & type of brushes do you use?

and (6) what type of paint do you prefer?

Many thanks for any and all assistance.
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Klicky Painting for Dummies ~ (Experts Please Help Us Wannabes)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 09:38:43 »
If you can get hold of one, the official Playmobil klicky holder is the thing. 

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 16:13:03 »
Wow! Where on earth might I find one of those???  :o
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 16:18:44 »
I got it in an eBay lot.  It's only quite recently that I found out what it was.  For extra steadiness, you can fix the handle in a vice.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 16:24:19 »
Do you think Direct Service might carry such a part???

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 17:31:06 »
Do you think Direct Service might carry such a part???

Quite doubtful. :( I think they originally came with the Playmobil Color sets, didn't they?

I have one (thanks to Isabella :-*), but I haven't tested it for usefulness whilst painting klickies yet. I believe it only fits onto certain styles of klicky feet and most of the customs I've done since I acquired the holder haven't been suitable. :-\

I rarely use a primer when painting on Playmobil. Sometimes, I will use a coat of matt light grey paint first if I'm trying to cover colours with a large contrast (ie. making black boots white), but usually it's not necessary. I suppose it depends on which type of paints you're using.

I use a good quality model-painting brush (the finer the better when doing small details) and favour Humbrol enamels. I've tried Revell also, but am not so keen on the consistency of it. I've discovered it's very hard to find a white model paint that goes on smooth with a brush. Mine always ends up lumpy, no matter what I do. 8}

Most of the time I use matt model paints and finish of with a coat of clear satin varnish to increase durability. This is mainly because it's difficult to find satin model paints in a wide range of colours up here. I don't really like using gloss paints on Playmo because they take a lot longer to dry on the plastic and the finish is overly-shiny when compared to the other regular figures.

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 19:01:55 »
So you wouldn't recommend acrylics Sylvia? I ask because that's mostly what I use for my paper arts and I already have a ton of colors of acrylics.

Also, if the holder doesn't fit, how to you hold the klicky when painting?

I do have several of the old color sets unopened so shall have to take a peak and see if there is a holder in one of them. :)

Offline David

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 19:08:11 »
LOL! I read Psyche`s questions and the replies without logging in. Then I took few photos and came back to post. I logged in and the first thing I saw was Gordon`s photo of the Playmo klicky holder. It took me half an hour to find that gizmo, so I´m going to post the photo. :P

I never use it, by the way, I used to but it has it´s drawbacks; the klicky can still move at the waist for example. 

I take the figure apart.  If I want to paint the body I hold the legs, or the feet and neck between my finger and thumb. 

If I want to paint the legs I hold the frame.

If I want to paint the arms I push the hands into plastercine, some people say modeling clay, I think.

I started painting using acrylics, but now prefer enamel paints.  All I can add to what Sylvia said is that some of the gloss colours, especially black, take days to dry, but the matt colours are surprisingly quick drying. Enamel colours can be thinned far more than acrylics and the paintwork is robuster.

Go to a good modal  or art shop for your brushes, no one can paint with bad brushes. The best is to ask for advice. Brushes are numbered according to size, I use a 2 for painting a torso or any large area an 0 for finer work and a 000 for the finest work.

Everyone develops their own technique and tricks. Try something simple to begin and preferably on an old and boring klicky.

Have a cloth and paper towels ready, just in case... ;-)

Offline David

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 19:11:39 »
So you wouldn't recommend acrylics Sylvia? I ask because that's mostly what I use for my paper arts and I already have a ton of colors of acrylics.

Hi Psyche,

If you have a lot of acrylics at home by all means use them. They work as well,  but I find enamels cover better and the paint isn´t so easily damaged.

guarrenzino.

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 21:14:05 »
(cf. my article about painting, removing colors and masking)

I use enamel paint too. Most times I first use primer (white, from Revell). To get a smooth and regular finish I use an airbrush set for "areas". For small details I use brushes known from the modelling, or I use a masking technique (cf. hyperlink above). Most times I paint my figures in an unassembled way like David, but more from necessity of using the aibrush. To airbrush the figure or its limbs I fix them with tape to a small wooden stick (the tape I use can be seen in the article mentioned above, on the photo on the bottom of the page). For drying I fix them with a small piece of tape to an edge of a hanging cupboard or something else so that they can hang free in the air.

One alternative to the klicky holder might be the small stands provided in the very first sets of Playmobil. This plate shouldn't be rare and can be mounted to a stick and should work also fine. Drawback: this typically works only for the regular (older) feets. (Although I didn't use such a holder or plate for my own customs.)

If you're interested, give me a hint. Then I will make a photo of such a plate and if you like it can send you one.

Regards

Jochen