Author Topic: What is a Dremel?  (Read 11100 times)

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
What is a Dremel?
« on: November 14, 2005, 14:43:54 »
A dremel is a wonderful, versatile little tool.  DH got me one for Christmas last year  ;D

It has several different attachments for different applications.  I used a wire brush kind of attachment to 'distress' the solid wood door into our bedroom (also lumber chains and some stain), to make it look 'old west'.  Of course, now I have to do the rest of the doors  8}

Our Home Depot (mega-hardware store) has fine saw blades for wood work.  I haven't looked at the metal saws.
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
Re: What is a Dremel?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 18:28:26 »
I remember a Europen talking about another brand name tool, like Dremel.  They claimed that it had even more torque (Power) and therefore was better than a Dremel.

I asked my father to replace John's one christmas oh so long ago.  My dad really thought it was a nifty tool.  He had never heard of it either.

It can be found in many (most) hardware stores, along with extra tools for various jobs.
Certains craft stores will also carry the tool

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 21:31:24 »
A dremel is a wonderful, versatile little tool.  DH got me one for Christmas last year  ;D

It has several different attachments for different applications.  I used a wire brush kind of attachment to 'distress' the solid wood door into our bedroom (also lumber chains and some stain), to make it look 'old west'.  Of course, now I have to do the rest of the doors  8}

Our Home Depot (mega-hardware store) has fine saw blades for wood work.  I haven't looked at the metal saws.

... and it is even available for Playmobil  ;D

Offline Meg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 13:55:38 »
I think this is the first time I have seen your playmo dremel.

Very nice, tool master

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 17:12:13 »
Ahhh the Dremel, i certainly would not be able to do 80% of the conversion work i do without my trusty Dremel :yup:. If your going to be using it as often as i use mine then i would certainly recommend going for one that is mains powered as opposed to one that runs on re-chargable battery's.   

Regards  Tim

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 19:04:23 »
I'vr got a mians-powered Minicraft drill which also takes sanding discs and grinding wheels, but the minimum speed seems far too high.

Does the Dremel offer good low speeds?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 19:12:09 »
Hello  Gordon / All

I allways keep my Dremel set at its lowest speed and this has allways been low enough to do most tasks i require. Wether this is faster or slower than the Minicraft's lowest setting i am not sure. I can allways have a look to see if the instructions show the different RPM's and you can compare them to the Minicraft.

Dremel's and Drilling

One thing i can safely say is that the Dremel is not good for drilling holes as it comes, due to how the speed is regulated. On normal drills you select your speed and then press the trigger to make it go, release it to slow it down or stop. With the Dremel you select your speed and it goes, flick the switch back down to zero and it will stop. There is no easy way you can controll the speed and accuratley drill a hole at the same time.

Regards  Tim
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 19:27:32 by Tim_w »

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 19:25:15 »
Thanks, Tim, that would be helpful.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 20:07:48 »
Does the Dremel offer good low speeds?

My Dremel is a pretty cheap one and is offering only two speeds, where I do operate
always on the lower one and it appears to be still too fast for sanding discs and playmo.

But I got a little buzz saw like blade for my dremel, which really became my friend for
all cuts I ever made on playmo...

best regards,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 20:25:16 »
I'll have to ask Santa  (or Socrates  ;D ) for a dremel for my stocking!
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS