General > Report & Review

Ye Gods! An Olympian Appreciation

<< < (2/12) > >>

Macruran:
So you're thinking "Okay, where's the content?" Here comes some! Of course we have to start with Zeus!

I have to say, they knocked it out of the park. If I had been asked to imagine a Playmobil Zeus, this is pretty much what I would have come up with. White clothing with gold trim, white beard, lightning, staff, eagle. Really can't go wrong!

The Roman cape is done in a rich wine colour, new to this set, which suits the Z-man and the Greek theme overall - "wine dark sea" and all that. Matches his little seat too.

If I were to nitpick I'd say that I'm pretty sure the bald eagle is not native to the eastern Mediterranean. Would it have killed them to make the eagle all brown? They've done it before: 30 66 4780 - Eagle, wings folded. I think I'm going to replace it.

With the Olympus Palace set you actually get a SECOND Zeus, in a blue outfit.

Wreath is the duller gold. Lightning is translucent orangey-pink. No neck detailing, and the hem detailing is different from the white Zeus's. I like to think of this guy as Zeus in his winter blues, and the other one as him in his summer whites. Alternatively, Zeus can literally be in two places at once! Winter lightning is probably a different colour, hence his unusually hued thunderbolts!

They issued the Blue Zeus with an identical wine-coloured cape as the Summer Zeus has. I feel this was a misstep. The blue and the wine clash to my eye. A missed opportunity to do the Roman cape in white, which is a serious need! I've chosen to give him a black cape instead. Red might work too, I haven't settled yet.

Anyway that is our first god, and what a great figure he is!

Bonus: here is a version of Zeus by the blog Mad On Playmobil. Pretty similar in concept, but note they got the eagle right!

Next up: Hera!

tahra:
Great review :D

StJohn:
Nice! Thank you, Macruran. You're right that a Roman cape in white is a desideratum.

Your Mount Olympus is looking really good! I much admire the fine sticker application skills on display there. :cloud9: I haven't opened mine yet, probably because I dread to discharge that job.

Macruran:

--- Quote from: StJohn on May 23, 2021, 23:44:58 ---Your Mount Olympus is looking really good! I much admire the fine sticker application skills on display there. :cloud9: I haven't opened mine yet, probably because I dread to discharge that job.

--- End quote ---

I kept putting it off for exactly that reason! I finally mustered (and ketchup) the courage to do it and concentrated very hard as I was applying the stickers. Also I have found that a pair of fine point tweezers comes in very handy!

By the way I discovered while researching Greek gods that the sort of square S pattern on Zeus, the palace, and so many other Greek things is called a "meander" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meander_(art)  :sherlock:

PMatt:
Nice review – looking forward to the next installments!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version