Author Topic: Western Cannons (other cannons are available)  (Read 1328 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Western Cannons (other cannons are available)
« on: November 17, 2022, 19:16:54 »
Western cannons differ from other Playmobil cannons in having a pair of carriage wheels and they fire bullet-shaped shells (except for the non-firing versions).

I was finding it hard to decide which of two types of yellow shell came with which cannon, so I did some research. It became clear that there are actually four types of cannon and three types of shell (including the ‘brass’ coloured shells in three Color sets).

The four types of Western cannon:

details...

1.   Firing smooth yellow shells, storage for 3 shells on the cannon itself, yellow ungrooved ramrod, smooth cannon barrel, brown wheels.

2.   Firing smooth brass-coloured shells, storage on cannon for 3 shells, white ungrooved ramrod, smooth cannon barrel, smaller wheels. Color sets. Here are two examples (the rammer, shells and barrel are the same parts on both pictures)

3.   Firing smooth yellow shells, shell carrier holds 5 shells, silver-grey ungrooved ramrod, smooth cannon barrel, light brown wheels. Clips hold the cannon barrel to the base.

4.   Firing grooved yellow shells, shell carrier for 5 shells, silver-grey ramrod with 2 grooves, cannon barrel has 2 internal flanges, wheels brown with black rims. Clips to hold the cannon barrel to the base.

Shell-carriers of types 3 and 4 compared:

Three shell types
Smooth, yellow, found with cannon types 1 and 3:
Smooth, brass, found with cannon type 2:             
Grooved, yellow, found with cannon type 4:           

PlaymoDB gives part number 30023640 for smooth, yellow shells in sets 3419, 3729, 3784 and part number 30031370 for grooved yellow shells in sets 3057,3812,4072,7257,7268,7317,7619,7683. No part number known for brass shells from Color sets.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 11:04:53 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Western Cannons (other cannons are available)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 19:23:01 »
The 16 sets (including 3 Color sets) which contain a Western cannon are listed below. Three sets are thought to have been US exclusives. Deciding what each set contains is not always easy and sometimes pictures used online are from the wrong set, or there is no certainty the picture shows the original set contents.

Sets 3812 seems to have two versions, one (illustrated on the back of the set box) containing a type 3 cannon (smooth shells) and the other (judging by sets seen on ebay.com)  containing a type 4 cannon (grooved shells). 7317 also has two versions, judging by the illustrations in DS catalogues from 1991-7 (type 3) and 1997-8 (type 4). Set 3057 may have existed in two versions, but it seems likely, given its year of release (1998) that the type 4 cannon is more likely in this set.

P.S. 'Datenbank-Setinhalt' refers to a topic on www.klickywelt.de which shows pictures of set contents of many early sets. You need to register with the website to view the topic, but its well worth it!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 19:25:04 »
Thank you, Graham, for another masterly summary of an interesting Playmobil item.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 22:54:53 »
I never realised that the color canon barrels were bronze. The pirate canon barrel in the color range was also bronze. I wonder why they didn't make that bronze colour an option for the regular sets?
Thanks for the information.

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 05:48:22 »
Nice overview! Thanks for sharing!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2022, 10:06:46 »
Thanks!
It's not impossible that some Color cannons had white barrels, Klickteryx. I have been looking at another Color set recently 3660x, known as "Kaufmannszug". Some examples seem to have all white parts, while other (later?) examples have chrome swords, lances and halberds. Mind you, given how rare the set is, it's possible collectors have substituted chrome parts for white before displaying the pictures. I will post a review of 3660x soon, once I have collected all the parts sprayed white substitutes for the parts I am missing! (My wallet is listening).

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 11:19:52 »
If a regular piece like a sword was chrome then it would still be chrome in a color set.

That color medieval wagon is an amazing set, a pity they never did a regular version of it. Also not sure why the Nuremburg flag has green instead of yellow on it.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 12:04:17 »
If a regular piece like a sword was chrome then it would still be chrome in a color set.

That color medieval wagon is an amazing set, a pity they never did a regular version of it. Also not sure why the Nuremburg flag has green instead of yellow on it.

This may be of interest:  https://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=16542.0

On a photo of the box I have seen, the halberds are white and as the chrome was an extra layer on the plastic it seems reasonable that the chrome layer would be left off in a "color" set.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 20:01:13 »
Thanks for the detailed report!
(wallet shudders whenever you post one of these, you know that, right? :P )

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 00:59:35 »
This may be of interest:  https://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=16542.0

On a photo of the box I have seen, the halberds are white and as the chrome was an extra layer on the plastic it seems reasonable that the chrome layer would be left off in a "color" set.
It would, but all the sets I've come across have chromed swords and helmets. I looked online and saw at least one knight set with knight and squire and one of the swords appeared white and the helmet was completely coloured (still chrome underneath?) but similar sets showed a chromed helmet and sword. There didn't seem to be any consistency with regular playmobil and famobil from what I saw.