Author Topic: Fallerbähnli  (Read 24237 times)

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
  • Hier stehe ich, ich kann auch anders.
Re: Fallerbähnli
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2022, 14:03:41 »
Great to read you like it  :).

jj:
Lust auf Bilder? => www.klickywelt.de (mit Anmeldung)
Fancy more pics? => www.klickywelt.de (sign in to see)

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2022, 20:18:24 »
Wow!! What a great railway track!!
It was fun to watch it clear the snow  ;D

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2022, 12:54:20 »
Cheers, Eplay! A new clip's online just now (klick). The first runs straight out of my cellar-station onto the garten tracks.

Ein neues Filmchen ist im Netz: Meine erste direkte Ausfahrt aus dem Schattenbahnhof im Keller auf die Gartenbahnstrecke (klick).

jj:

P.S. In German we have a term to describe a hidden station as a "shadow station" (Schattenbahnhof). Would there be something in English too?

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2022, 19:42:04 »
Cheers, Eplay! A new clip's online just now (klick). The first runs straight out of my cellar-station onto the garten tracks.

Ein neues Filmchen ist im Netz: Meine erste direkte Ausfahrt aus dem Schattenbahnhof im Keller auf die Gartenbahnstrecke (klick).

jj:

P.S. In German we have a term to describe a hidden station as a "shadow station" (Schattenbahnhof). Would there be something in English too?

That video and the layout are superb, jj.    Is all the control using the Faller track items and rods or cables for the point?

The equivalent term in English for a "shadow station" is a "fiddle yard".  This has nothing to do with violins or music but refers to hidden sidings where trains are kept ready to bring out to run.  It is usually at the end(s) of a layout or the back, hidden behind scenery of some sort, for example, a back drop or back scene.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2022, 20:16:02 »
Good to see you like it! Thanks!

Acutally there's no "remote" control in use. Winter made the points go hard so I set them by hand - or they are "relapse-softs" (never heard of these? Well Google's translation's obviously wrong here 8}). I think it's 'resetting trailable points' you call a pair of points that goes back to it's original position after a train went over (throug?) it from "behind" and coming from the "wrong" end. So that's what makes the trains take the "back to the fiddle yard" side line.

I also had to realise the cables I used to operate switches and points were too flexible. So comes summer I'll have to replace them - fishing line's in waiting position already.

jj:

P.S. In German points are a "Weiche" derrived from "weichen" = "deviate". But as "weich" is "soft" Google was too confused to find the correct translation ;D.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2022, 20:46:24 »
Good to see you like it! Thanks!

Acutally there's no "remote" control in use. Winter made the points go hard so I set them by hand - or they are "relapse-softs" (never heard of these? Well Google's translation's obviously wrong here 8}). I think it's 'resetting trailable points' you call a pair of points that goes back to it's original position after a train went over (throug?) it from "behind" and coming from the "wrong" end. So that's what makes the trains take the "back to the fiddle yard" side line.

I also had to realise the cables I used to operate switches and points were too flexible. So comes summer I'll have to replace them - fishing line's in waiting position already.

jj:

P.S. In German points are a "Weiche" derrived from "weichen" = "deviate". But as "weich" is "soft" Google was too confused to find the correct translation ;D.

The English term is "spring-loaded", a small spring returns the point to its original position after the train has "pushed" through the point from behind.  (Well, it's a small spring in the case of LGB R1s but in real life where such points are used it must be a very big spring.)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2022, 21:20:13 »
I’m no train expert, but you got me interested. I’ve been looking for the Dutch word for schattenbahnhof, but I couldn’t find it.

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2022, 08:26:39 »
Thanks Playmofire. Thought I'd once heard a term containing "spring" but couldn't find it anywhere. So it's a "spring loaded point" or "spring loaded set / pair of points"? I found a pic on the internet - it's quite a "spring" used there. Inside a Faller point ... äh... "gear box"? (the black box besides the points that holds the lever to switch them) ... well in there it's not even a proper spring but just a plastic bar bend to one side or the other.

@Eplay It's never too late to become addicted to trains - and no need to be an expert  :)! And as for fiddle yards: On a proper Germany model railway layout a fiddle yard is to be concealed by a mountain structure - maybe a lack of mountains is the reason there's no term in Dutch  ;D Es ist nie zu spät, ein Bahnfreund zu werden; und man muß kein Experte dafür sein  ;). Und was den Schattenbahnhof angeht: auf einer ordentlichen, deutschen Modellbahn liegt der im Schatten eines Berges auf der Anlage. Vielleicht gibt's mangels Bergen kein passenden Niederländisches Wort dafür  ;D.

Ich hab mal ein Bild einer "offenen" Rückfallweiche angehängt - das ist ein Trum von einer Feder, während im Faller Schaltkasten nur ein dünner Plastikarm die Zunge zurückfedern läßt.

jj:

P.S. Nein, kein Bild -  beim ersten Versuch hätte es nicht größer als 400k sein dürfen - ich hab's auf 200 verkleinert - dann hieß es, die Grenze liege bei 100k...  ???
No pic, sorry. My first attempt was stopped by a note not to exceede 400k - i shrinked the pic to 200k to be informed, the limit now was 100k  :hmm:. Strange!!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2022, 11:55:27 »
There is a limit of 100kB per picture or 300kB per post, so you either have to post quite small files or use a third party site to host your images. Its a bit of a nuisance!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Junker Jörg

• Playmo Addict