Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Brainstorming For Playmobil / Re: What's wrong with Playmobil? 2
« Last post by kaethe on April 22, 2024, 18:16:16 »
When the PCC was set up there were 5 of us representing collectors that attended. I am the only one still active here I think.
At the big meeting we had with the department heads and president, the collectors brought up the concept of Playmobil as a building system. Management at the time felt that the steps they had taken in that direction with System X showed that it wasn't viable.  My opinion is that at the toy scale Playmobil is in, the parts are too big and you need too many to do anything creative. Serious collectors like many of us here do end up with that much stuff, but the average toy buyer who is trying to raise kids simply can't afford that. What Rasputin says about the large parts and parents is spot on, that is definitely one thing that was also said at the meeting.

I don't believe any of the Playmobil staff that were at that meeting are still with the company.
Their underlying problem is at the board of directors level, and the inability to stick to a management scheme.
The guy who was in when they developed Novelmore and the beginnings of Wiltopia clearly knew what they were doing, but they didn't give them enough time to make progress.

The collapse of their online storytelling videos due to mismanagement of their business relationship with the producers of them was also a huge error. It really led to collapse of support for Novelmore and the entire Ducklas fiasco since Duck on Call was supposed to be supported by a full video series. They were attempting to follow LEGO in having video series support for their lines like LEGO does with Ninjago. But then they messed up their relationship with the video makers; I suspect by trying to micromanage and holding back payments to them that caused them to go bankrupt. It's a huge error to make and hopefully whoever was really responsible for it is no longer with the company. Sadly as any of us who have been in the world of work knows, it's just as likely that the people who messed up are still there and the good people have all run for the exits seeing what's happening. Once that happens it is incredibly hard to reverse the trend and keep the best people.

And a big thank you to you, Tim, and the others for going to Germany to meet with them.  I treasure my PCC card, and the memories of the great sets from the early days, as well as our klickies with non rotating arms.  I think you should start a separate post with PCC in the title and put an explanation in there for the newer members who are unaware.  Or you could start a “history of playmofriends post” to acknowledge the group start up, Heather and the data base, etc.  Just a thought.   :)
« Last post by playmofire on April 22, 2024, 16:47:54 »
"Sadly as any of us who have been in the world of work knows, it's just as likely that the people who messed up are still there" and have probably been promoted!
« Last post by Tiermann on April 22, 2024, 16:06:13 »
When the PCC was set up there were 5 of us representing collectors that attended. I am the only one still active here I think.
At the big meeting we had with the department heads and president, the collectors brought up the concept of Playmobil as a building system. Management at the time felt that the steps they had taken in that direction with System X showed that it wasn't viable.  My opinion is that at the toy scale Playmobil is in, the parts are too big and you need too many to do anything creative. Serious collectors like many of us here do end up with that much stuff, but the average toy buyer who is trying to raise kids simply can't afford that. What Rasputin says about the large parts and parents is spot on, that is definitely one thing that was also said at the meeting.

I don't believe any of the Playmobil staff that were at that meeting are still with the company.
Their underlying problem is at the board of directors level, and the inability to stick to a management scheme.
The guy who was in when they developed Novelmore and the beginnings of Wiltopia clearly knew what they were doing, but they didn't give them enough time to make progress.

The collapse of their online storytelling videos due to mismanagement of their business relationship with the producers of them was also a huge error. It really led to collapse of support for Novelmore and the entire Ducklas fiasco since Duck on Call was supposed to be supported by a full video series. They were attempting to follow LEGO in having video series support for their lines like LEGO does with Ninjago. But then they messed up their relationship with the video makers; I suspect by trying to micromanage and holding back payments to them that caused them to go bankrupt. It's a huge error to make and hopefully whoever was really responsible for it is no longer with the company. Sadly as any of us who have been in the world of work knows, it's just as likely that the people who messed up are still there and the good people have all run for the exits seeing what's happening. Once that happens it is incredibly hard to reverse the trend and keep the best people.
Direct Service/Parts Queries / Re: Playmobil DE ordering down?
« Last post by tigana123 on April 22, 2024, 15:58:56 »
I also tried the GR site and it presented the same issue, so it seems this is a wider PM ordering problem
Direct Service/Parts Queries / Re: Playmobil DE ordering down?
« Last post by Tiermann on April 22, 2024, 15:45:12 »
I have had the same problem yesterday and this morning with a parts order off of the German site. I have tried to pay with both PayPal and Google Pay and neither has worked. Glad to know I am not the only one and it is indeed a system error on their part.
« Last post by Rasputin on April 22, 2024, 14:03:31 »
Education never seemed to be much of a “joyful” activity. Just look at math homework

I found the big hospital and large school to be time consuming (especially repeating it a dozen times) but yet I just added a little sugar to help the medicine go down

I too never found stecks to be super customizable with the current parts, but it’s so simple and attractive when built.

Just need a about 50 of set 7400’s

Guns and emotions seem to be the flavor of the month so perhaps those will get Playmobil attention
« Last post by Oliver on April 22, 2024, 13:19:02 »
The build-ability of playmobil has been talked in great length. When Playmobil started with stecks it was considered the golden years. The medieval, western and safari sets to this day are quite the collectors choice. Then slowly Playmobil went for systemX which in my opinion worked great for modern theme sets.

Then some paper pusher , sharp pencil numb nut decided to go for (as Tahra calls it “system y”) the modular, un-expandable hunk of junk that seemed to appease some lazy parents who were too concerned with no wanting to spend 30 minutes with their child and build a set. “Let’s dumb down the whole brand for a few lazy parents” was probably the marketing pitch.

I'm kind of in 2 minds about this. I don't think that Playmobil is ever going to successfully be a 'building' toy - anymore than I think that Lego ever successfully works as a narrative/dolls house toy.

The flexibility of Steck often seems to be exagerated. As a child, I owned more Playmobil (by a long way) than anyone I knew. Was there much I could do to build interesting, varied buildings? Not really. The Victorian sets aren't actually compatible with any others, the Framework window walla have built in connectors, and in general you just don't have that many parts as a child. But I think it hits the sweet spot where children can build it themselves, it's easy to assemble and the parts are reusable in new sets. I'd also say that for narrative-play the building is probably the least important part, compared to the figures and the accessories.

System-X is obviously more flexible, and I'm sure it was designed with an eye towards build-ability. And while I do think they've gone way too far in the opposite direction with the huge pieces that can only really be used for one design, I can see what pushed them in that direction. As someone who assembled the 3186 Airport (which isn't even the worst of them) - I can understand why the average parent didn't find inserting 5,000 red connectors to be a joyful way to spend time with their children.

Direct Service/Parts Queries / Playmobil DE ordering down?
« Last post by tigana123 on April 22, 2024, 10:23:00 »
Hi,

I'm trying to order some DS stuff from playmobil.DE site and I get the below message. I tried to reduce the quantity but no luck. Then I removed everything from the shopping cart and pick a random item from the PLUS and still get the same message... It is as if DE site is not able to accept orders? any ideas?

This is going on through the weekend and now Monday...

----
Leider konnte deine Bestellung nicht aufgegeben werden. Dies ist wahrscheinlich auf ein hohes Auftragsvolumen oder vorübergehende Verbindungsfehler zurückzuführen. Bitte warte ein paar Minuten und versuche es erneut. Wir werden deine Zahlung erst dann bearbeiten, wenn die Bestellung erfolgreich abgeschlossen wurde. Wenn du weitere Fragen haben, kontaktiere bitte unseren Kundenservice.

Unfortunately your order could not be placed. This is likely due to high order volume or temporary connection errors. Please wait a few minutes and try again. We will only process your payment once the order has been successfully completed. If you have any further questions, please contact our customer service.
« Last post by Macruran on April 22, 2024, 04:26:38 »
I almost pulled trigger

tahra's wallet only has emotions - JPSA's has a gun!  :captain:
« Last post by JPSA on April 22, 2024, 04:22:31 »
When Playmobil started with stecks it was considered the golden years. The medieval, western and safari sets to this day are quite the collectors choice. Then slowly Playmobil went for systemX which in my opinion worked great for modern theme sets. . . . Luckily someone recognized the blunder and we thankfully were given the re-releases.

I get the point of both construction systems, too.  System-X is definitely better for some use-cases ( like: building a spaceship! ), though I do think Steck has a lot of untapped potential, and could be developed a lot further — maybe even partially integrated with System-X ( as seen here ).  ...The medieval re-releases, with its multi-colored houses, are beautiful; I almost pulled the trigger ( and now wish I had, as they are no longer available on the US website )!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10