Author Topic: What theme(s) or set(s) do you like the least?  (Read 22932 times)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: What theme(s) or set(s) do you like the least?
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 19:44:32 »

Regarding police and violence: Funny story.... a police van with 24 riot police men inside, is on guard outside the US embassy here in Thessaloniki. Two armed officers stand on guard outside the van... A woman and her boy child pass by and the boy is screaming, crying his eyes out, because mummy did not allowed him a favour... the mother says to the child : '' shoosh now, otherwise I'll hand you over to the police..." I open my eyes wide and pose to think of what she said and how something like that could affect the boy negatilvely, while at the same time the two officers look at her with a terrified look..." Please ma'am, don't say these things to the poor kid...when he grow up he might throw us a molotov coctail''...

Even out of this funny-like story one can understand how behaviour can affect violent feelings and actions...

:lol:  That's so funny! And true, it can't have a good effect on him, making a threat like that!  :lol: :lol:

At least its a safe drug thats makes you smile without chemical effects :lol: :lol: :lol:

Playmobil is my anti-drug.  ;D
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 19:56:59 »
Although I gravitate toward Playmobil's historical themes, I don't hate any of their themes.  I don't really love the Ghost Pirates or the new Secret Agents, but I see their (probably temporary) place in Playmobil's lineup.

I agree with Wesley that I don't like the execution of certain sets like the purple barbarians or the current pirate ship, however I disagree with him about the inclusion of firearms in the police theme.  These are realistic tools that the police use everyday, just like a fireman's axe or a doctor's stethoscope.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 19:58:29 »
I open my eyes wide and pose to think of what she said and how something like that could affect the boy negatilvely, while at the same time the two officers look at her with a terrified look..." Please ma'am, don't say these things to the poor kid...when he grow up he might throw us a molotov coctail''...

Even out of this funny-like story one can understand how behaviour can affect violent feelings and actions...

My mother would say when I was little that I'd better behave or she was going to put me in Prunty Town which was a orphan boys home at that time! Believe me, I straightened right up! It didn't give me any mental problems for hearing that, instead it made me respect authority.
Children need to learn respect, not to be pampered with parents saying they don't want their children to be afraid of anything.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 20:02:23 »
I agree. I just think at least with certain kids, threatening to do something you are not really going to do is not effective. Some very stubborn kids will call your bluff.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 20:09:47 »
I agree. I just think at least with certain kids, threatening to do something you are not really going to do is not effective. Some very stubborn kids will call your bluff.

If you say something make sure you back it up! My mother made a point to take me when I was 5 years old to the orphanage to donate some of the toys I outgrew. I was given a tour, & didn't like what I saw! I never tested my mother,...because she just may have done what she said she would! It's like when she told me to stop doing something like my first curse word that I promptly had my mouth washed out with a bar Ivory Soap :P! My mother always lived up to her word, & you didn't test her on the rest ;)!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 20:14:53 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 20:11:56 »
My mother would say when I was little that I'd better behave or she was going to put me in Prunty Town which was a orphan boys home at that time! Believe me, I straightened right up! It didn't give me any mental problems for hearing that, instead it made me respect authority.
Children need to learn respect, not to be pampered with parents saying they don't want their children to be afraid of anything.

Hear, hear!

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2010, 20:14:36 »

Just like Bill said.  You have to follow through with what you have said.  No matter what.  Or your child will have proved you to be a liar.

I think the real thing here is to make sure, as parents, adults, caregivers, etc to never say you are going to do something that you cannot and will not do. 

(ie Think before you act - or - make sure mind is in gear before mouth is put into motion)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2010, 20:42:59 »

Totaly agree there, my mother would also threaten to send me to a strict boarding school where my godmother's mother was the headmaster (and she was creepy...)... We also visited that school just to confirm the threat... But it was not fear that mede me conform... it was rather a dislike of the environment in which I was threatened to be a part of... I don't know, can you impose respect without imposing fear? Threatening a kid by telling him ''i'll hand you over to the police...'' I'm not sure thats very appropriate... (and i doudt he commited any serious offence  :lol:) I think the fear it creates does not lead to respect...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 20:56:54 by Wolf Knight »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2010, 21:30:27 »
Hear, Hear! Well stated Gordon! A very educated opinion! I respect your comments!

Thank you, Bill.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 21:38:37 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2010, 21:40:03 »
First off, I'm not going to be politically correct.  That's a lie and a shade of grey and I will not be part of that - it is deceit and as such it is lying.

I don't know if I really dislike any specific theme Playmobil has.  There are a few sets that I would not have bought myself (for myself) - but have found out that children love them and some I have gotten myself and realised they are actually really cool (ie hippy backpacker 3844) http://www.collectobil.com/catalogue/items/3844.htm  Actually, all the outdoor sets were of no interest to me (except the motorcycles) but like all Playmobil it does grow on you.

You are quite right - Playmobil does indeed grow on you and that's its secret of success.

Hmm, now that I've thought more about it, the "barbarian" pink "knights" they made.  Not because of the theme, but because of the use of that stupid colour for them!  That ruined a perfectly good concept.  Not to mention the stupid accessories for them like the mantlet with a face (?!) and the sad excuse for a seige tower (4437 and 4439).

One thing I dislike all the more than the rest is the use of the guns and other modern weapons with the police sets (which is why I will never buy a police set).  There is no need for that.  Heck, even Lego does not do that.

Playmobil always try to operate reflecting the real world within reason and many, maybe most, police forces are armed.  In the case of the UK, as yet police usually being armed is not usual and so I just remove the holster from my police figures; it's quite easy to do.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 21:54:02 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”