Author Topic: 5938 American style garbage truck  (Read 9191 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
5938 American style garbage truck
« on: October 29, 2011, 22:30:19 »
Well I did not find a review in a search so I though I would do one for a set that has been out for a while. I have not written a review for a while so I felt like sharing what I observed with this set.

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: 5938 American style garbage truck
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 22:30:33 »

When this first set was spotted we immediately noticed differences. It was not until a member, whom I can not name, spotted the familiarity with the shape of the box to the American fire truck box. This is when I was sure it was a Chinese made playmobil. Now for some reason the factories over there find it necessary to tie the objects to the box. Geobra has tied bundles of building parts together but they do not ever find it necessary to secure the entire vehicle to its packaging. Other parts are in two bags.

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 22:30:54 »

A second difference is the Chinese factories screw toys together. The German vehicles have tabs that lock in. I think only some boats are screwed together. I really think Geobra has set up the manufacturing so that the conventional mold machines that China has are used. I kept reading that Geobra has some highly sophisticated molding machines and they do not want it copied.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 22:31:13 »
You get two worker and a pile of garbage intended at being metal that is for recycling. The can lock's into the tap by first lining it up with the upper portion of the slot that is larger. When you slide the can down into the narrower portion of the slot the can is locked in. Then the lever is used to lift the can to dump the precious metal. The back of the truck opens but there is no dumping of the entire truck, remember its all screwed.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 22:31:55 »
Here is the truck getting ready for action and how the Klickes access the cab interior. All sticker came pre-applied. This and the Chinese school bus are two that I will keep. The fire truck I did not accept into the collection.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 22:45:31 »
Thanks for the review on this set, Ras. This truck looks much better than the China made fire truck for sure. I'm going to look into getting this one & several school buses.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 23:01:45 »
Nice review, Ras. We have both this and the schoolbus, and are quite pleased with them. Much better than the chinese fire truck!!!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 23:34:47 »
Great review, Ras! I already have a Recycling truck, so I'm in no hurry to get this set. I would, though like to get the school bus. :)
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 06:20:24 »
Thanks for the great review Ras!!!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 07:05:03 »
Excellent review, Ras.  It doesn't look too bad at all as a vehicle.

The differences you highlight in packing and construction are interesting.  Securing the vehicle in the box addresses the issue of parts rubbing together and getting marked which has sometimes been noted where everything is loose.  The fact that the vehicle is held together by screws makes custom work easier;  I find with the system it is very secure and you need three hands each with 10 fingers to get vehicles apart.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”