Author Topic: 4840 and 4841 Drachenland  (Read 9155 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: 4840 and 4841 Drachenland
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 19:51:04 »
Hi Richard  :wave:

Thanks for the new pictures. Last night we were looking at the new knights and were wondering if the shoulder spikes were molded in or clipped on. I sure would like to know how they do all the different colors and complexities in one mold  :hmm:

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 20:03:41 »

Thanks for the new pictures. Last night we were looking at the new knights and were wondering if the shoulder spikes were molded in or clipped on. I sure would like to know how they do all the different colors and complexities in one mold  :hmm:

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

Hello, Ras ...

During the summer of 1986, I was at the factory in Zirndorf. The day I was there, they cast the first chimpanzee. It was all done in one mould. The design staff was ecstatic. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me see the mould. Maybe they thought that I was spy from Lego ...  :lens:

Speaking of animals, Tim (Tiermann) wanted to see more of the head armour. So, I have attached some new photos of the horse from set 4841.

Happy New Year,
Richard

see attchments

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 21:23:14 »

Yes I remember reading that in the Bible or the Story of a Smile . It seems as if they are getting more elaborate these days. My friends family owns a factory in Sacramento that makes plastic props for gas RC planes. The process is similar as you have an aluminum mold and a machine takes pelletised plastic and heats it up, then injects it in, then on the other side it spits it out . The machine runs 24/7 . The neatest part is how the 2 part molds are made. It was a huge machine that had an Apple computer. You program the specs and when you hit enter it turns on . The machine takes a block of aluminum and with two automated arms that have grinders on them get to work. There is a cooling liquid squirting out the whole time so the process is done behind a protective window. It takes hours but its is fun to watch. They make thousands of props with only one or two laborers filling pellets and moving product.  Here is a large factory in China (annoying music so turn it down)

Oh ya that armor is very nice looking and I hope our US DS stocks up on it, I could use a few dozen

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 21:43:06 by Rasputin »
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 00:59:04 »
Thanks Richard, that's the only thing on my must have list for the dragons series. I would like to have all the dragons but the prices are scaring me, especially with the must have African series at the same time.

Offline SubaruWolf

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 23:19:53 »
Thank you for the pictures, I love seeing the reviews of new sets!

Though on the box of set 4841, they show a left foot black horse (30 67 1760) and it seems the piece that you actually receive inside the box is a right foot black horse (30 67 1762), or am I wrong?

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 00:56:13 »

Though on the box of set 4841, they show a left foot black horse (30 67 1760) and it seems the piece that you actually receive inside the box is a right foot black horse (30 67 1762), or am I wrong?

You are absolutely correct. And, as far as I know, you're the first person here to notice this. Good spotting, SW !!!

Offline SubaruWolf

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 04:34:37 »
Thank you for clarifying, Richard!  Do you know how common it is for Playmobil to switch up the box pictures versus the actual contents of the box?

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 16:05:44 »
This sort of thing happens sometimes - odds are they flipped the photo when they were doing the layout.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 16:15:04 »
This sort of thing happens sometimes - odds are they flipped the photo when they were doing the layout.

Hi Tim  :wave:

I would say this qualifies for the "Box art errors" wouldn't you ?

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"

Offline SubaruWolf

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 17:00:40 »

I would think so too, but if you look at the horse's tail on the box picture, it's tail is out away from its body like the left footed horses are.  The right footed horses have the tail down against the hind leg.  So I'd say this definitely qualifies as one of Playmobil's box art errors.  ;D

Personally I like the manes, tails, and faces of the left footed horses over the ones of the right footed horses so I have to admit, I would have been disappointed if I had bought this set and opened up the box.