Poll

When you come across a Playmobil part that you do not immediately recognize, and you cannot find any reference to the specific part in the PlaymoDB, what is the next reference you turn to for information?

web search, i.e. Google, Bing, links from PlaymoFriends homepage
1 (5.9%)
archives [German Playmobil site]
2 (11.8%)
the Playmobil Collector Book
6 (35.3%)
post query on PlaymoFriends forum?
8 (47.1%)
other source not listed
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: January 15, 2010, 22:33:38

Author Topic: Playmobil Research  (Read 2967 times)

Offline reylocann

• Playmo Fanatic
  • One can never have too many cats!
Playmobil Research
« on: January 08, 2010, 22:33:38 »
While sifting through the contents of a recent "lot" I acquired through ebay, I came across quite a few pieces/parts that I have never seen before.  Sometimes it is fairly easy to determine which set a part comes from based on the colour or style of the piece.  Often, a quick search through the PlaymoDB is all that is needed.  But, once in a while, a part is not listed in the DB.   Being the inquisitive person I am, I need to find an answer.  I usually start with the Collector's book - if the part in question is self-evident, i.e. a shoe, hat, pole, etc.  I will then cross check using the archives.  I am usually successful in finding the piece, but it can take a long time! [I tend to be a little obsessive-compulsive once I get going  :-[
Obviously, the benefit of doing it this way is that I learn a lot about sets I am not familiar with and, through osmosis, expand the data base in my head.  That being said, I will soon be posting some pics to the "What is this ...?" forum because I have no clue about a group of pieces and not knowing is driving me nuts! :hissyfit:  :toot: 
I think it will be interesting to see which references are used most often and with the most success. Also, it would be great if the veteran collectors would share the methods they use for identification and also provide any references that are particularly useful and that may not be known to all. As a relatively new "collector", I and others like me can only benefit from your infinite wisdom.  :wow:

You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation. - Plato

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Playmobil Research
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 03:18:52 »
There is a lot of depth to the brain pool here when it comes to Playmobil.  If I don't find it in a reasonable number of search tries at PlaymoDB then this is where I would go next. Plus it's fun for everyone involved.