General > Report & Review

Play BIG: nice accessories, shame about the figures

<< < (2/4) > >>

GrahamB:
More accessories

Tools

Chrome hammers, 2 types, chrome wrench. PM hammer and wrench

More tools

awl, screwdriver, hacksaw, file, hammer, bowsaw, hammer, pincers, paint roller, circuit tester?, plastering trowel, float, oval bucket, spirit level, drill, circular saw.

PM equivalents to some of the above: screwdriver, ice-axe, bowsaw, hammer, tongs, paint roller, plastering trowel, float, bucket, spirit level, drill.

Knights

Table, bench, 2 crossbows (one with rubber band), arrow, 2 circular shields, great helm, sceptre, broadsword, morningstar

PM equivalents: Table, bench, crossbow, 2 arrows, 2 circular shields, great helm, sceptre, sabre, morningstar

Parts of the PlayBIG table

Crossbow with rubber band ready to fire

The chrome Great Helm with its chicken on top is one of the more striking of PlayBIG pieces.

Broadsword . The ornate handle on this sword is similar to the handle on the PlayBIG chrome goblets (which sadly, I don’t have). Sceptres (PlayBIG on left, PM on right)

Diving gear

Radio with handles (aerial missing), underwater camera, scuba gear (2 types of gas bottle), harpoon gun with rubber band and harpoon, leg loop for knife, knife, face masks, flipper

PM equivalents Battery with two handles, underwater camera, scuba gear (two types), diver’s knife, face mask, flipper.

Close-ups of some PlayBIG diving parts

PlayBIG chrome daggers come in 2 types (on left), PM knives in various colours on the right

Sports

Pommel horse, throwing hammer, Adidas suitcase. PM white suitcase on the right.

Firearms

Rifle (several other styles were produced), revolver, soldier’s collar pouches

PM: Rifle, revolver

Road workers

Road sign and base, toolbox, Road barrier (red and blue) with x-shaped supports (white and orange), road drill, plate compactor, bottle crate, shovel, pick-axe, rake

PM equivalents: Road sign, stand, road barrier and stands, toolbox, bottle crate, shovel, pick-axe, rake

Details of shovels, rakes and pickaxes (PlayBIG on left, PM on right). Crates and bottles

PlayBIG bottle on left, PM on right (early versions were green, white in UK Playpeople; later versions were translucent green or red)

Hospital

Stretcher, pouch on belt (belt broken), megaphone, arm-band, walkie-talkie, first aid kits, crutch

PM equivalents: Stretcher, megaphone, arm-band, walkie-talkie, firt aid kit, crutch

Detail of PlayBIG stretcher with legs.

Indians

Head-dress, collar (2 types- other designs were made), papoose, feathered shield, quiver, bucket, hatchet, holsters, tomahawks

PM equivalents: Head-dress, feathered shield, quiver, bucket with separate handle, hatchet, belt loop, tomahawk

The Indian shield has the PlayBIG logo on the front and a centre handle on the back

Papoose                             The tomahawks are very similar to PM version

Fire-fighting

Pumps and hose-reel, water pipe, standpipe with hose, spreader tool, hose connectors, nozzle, fire-axes, belt pouches, megaphone, eye protection, belt with loops, fire helmet, road drill, toolbox, extinguisher.

PM equivalents: Hose reel, fire hydrant, hose, hose connectors, nozzle, spray-head, belt, axes, megaphone, face-masks (2 types), fire helmet, toolbox, extinguishers (2 types)

May be PlayBIG

This part appears on some eBay listings of PlayBIG but I have not been able to find it on any box pictures. There is a PlayBIG pirate telescope (I don’t have one) but this is not the same. I have two chrome and a (later?) grey one.

playmofire:
An excellent piece, Graham, and I guess there is more to come.  I have never seen the fire accessories before, although I know they did make a great looking Unimog based fire engine.  They also mad.e a police and ambulance vehicle on the same chassis.

Looking forward to more.

StJohn:
Thank you so much for this, GrahamB! I love Play-BIG! :love:

Some minor reservations about the title, though. I don't have a problem at all with the figures, and enjoy the extra flexibility of them having separate legs. But the figures tend to fail in sturdiness, and the plastic quality isn't too great these days, many decades after the toys left the factory. Still, Play-BIG is great fun. I don't own too much of it, but hope to find the time soon to present the fabulous castle in these pages. Another superb Play-BIG item is the Viking ship, which unfortunately I don't possess. Perhaps somebody else can contribute it?

Now I want to draw your attention to the Play-BIG horse, which is a piece of art. There is just one sculpt, issued in different colours. The four legs move individually, and the head moves on the neck.

The middle part can be taken out and replaced by a saddle. With this, the horse doesn't look unnaturally thin without a rider.

The proportions are in my opinion better than those of the old-style Playmobil horse. Don't get me wrong, that's just as much a work of art, but of a different, sweeter character. Play-BIG has given us the "self-confident, athletic and aggressive" horse as well. :)

Thanks again for starting this topic!

Best wishes
StJohn

Erik:

--- Quote from: GrahamB on May 19, 2020, 18:21:23 ---
The chrome Great Helm with its chicken on top is one of the more striking of PlayBIG pieces.

--- End quote ---

Nice post!
I must say, I have quite a few Play-Big sets "complete and boxed", and the chrome great helm doesn't have a "chicken on top", it's a falcon, but yours is sadly missing one of its wings.   ;)

GrahamB:
 :-[ Sorry if I was a bit too critical of PlayBIG figures, StJohn. Thanks for posting the pictures of the horse- it's really rather fine, I must agree. And the removable piece to allow a saddle and rider to be fitted was a great idea!

Erik, you are quite correct, it's not a chicken (I was being humorous!). That rider in StJohn's picture has a bronze chicken falcon with both wings intact.

Sorry, playmofire, that's all the PlayBIG I have and (my wallet tells me) I am NOT collecting any more. Though I would like one of those horses. And they did several great vehicles...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version