Author Topic: Wishing for a revival of the Victorian / 1900 Theme  (Read 12132 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Wishing for a revival of the Victorian / 1900 ThemeEthic
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 01:08:44 »
Ethics?  Were the old klickies better behaved?  ???
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
Re: Wishing for a revival of the Victorian / 1900 Theme
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 21:00:35 »
He may have been making reference to how Playmobil had allowed the ability to add onto buildings and themes rather then make stand alone sets that could not be expanded upon. "Ethics" may have been a poor choice of words as unless Playmobil is marketing a product as made in Germany when it is actually made in China, or dumping toxins into the environment I cannot see this company as being unethical.
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 19:16:01 »
Good morning dear Friends  :wave:

Following the huge success of the Sylvanian Families New Town Series, I very much hope that Playmobil will follow the trend with a few Victorian / 1900 Collector pieces or even reviving the theme  :love:

I have a feeling that one should never say never in life and that also applies to Toys Brands following trends...

I will certainly be keeping you updated as Inspector Karim is back on the case  :lens:

Are you referring to the beautiful new Sylvanian series with Victorian (?) boutiques and a tram?

It is simply gorgeous! I do hope you're right.
If Sylvanian can do it successfully, why would Playmobil not be able to revive the theme?

I just bought the new house from the Spirit series (9475) Lucky's house, and with this set I think they have actually found a way to make detailed, historically sound houses that are less 'difficult' or time-consuming to assemble and also less heavy and less costly to produce. They could very well do a Victorian house, a shop etc. in that new fashion. Granted, the house is not steck, it only has a front and one side wall, but it's the best I've seen in a loooooong time. It has windows that open and shut, it has curtains, paneling, appealing colours, pretty details on the roof and so on. I'm a fan!

Edit: added a photo from the current Sylvanian series

Offline bml87

• Mayor of Deadwood
  • Playmo Addict
  • Collecting Western and animal themes.
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 19:50:45 »
I just bought the new house from the Spirit series (9475) Lucky's house, and with this set I think they have actually found a way to make detailed, historically sound houses that are less 'difficult' or time-consuming to assemble and also less heavy and less costly to produce. They could very well do a Victorian house, a shop etc. in that new fashion. Granted, the house is not steck, it only has a front and one side wall, but it's the best I've seen in a loooooong time. It has windows that open and shut, it has curtains, paneling, appealing colours, pretty details on the roof and so on. I'm a fan!

Does this mean we'll see a new diorama of Birdie soon? :yup:
Boris from Belgium - My collection - My dioramas:  Western Town II & North American forest

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 20:12:41 »
Does this mean we'll see a new diorama of Birdie soon? :yup:

Alas, I've only just found the time to catch up on the forum  :lol:

But if a revival of the 1900 theme were to happen, I'd gladly quit my job to have the time to make a dio or 2  ;D

Offline playmovictorian

• Playmo Master
  • Happy Little Victorians
    • Playmovictorian
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 05:38:32 »
I totally agree with Giorginetto with regards to the quality of the original Playmobil Victorian house  :love:

I am nevertheless grateful to the Sylvanian Families Town Series new range which inspired me to start my New Regent St project with the Grand Department Store, the restaurant and so on.

My only frustration is that the range is mostly aimed at the Japanese market and Europe is far behind when it comes to the release of sets such as the Elegant Town Manor which I am waiting for in order to complete the grand avenue of my project.

Once again, I very much hope that the SF Town Series will inspire Playmobil for a revival of the Victorian theme, one day  :cloud9:

In the meantime the SF Town Series buildings are perfectly Playmo compatible as demonstrated in my dedicated thread in the Story Telling section  ;)

Karim
La, tout n'est qu'ordre et beaute, luxe, calme et volupte. L'Invitation au Voyage. Charles Baudelaire.1857.

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 13:59:40 »
The 9475 set  looks good surely... but only from the front.....  It lucks the playdoll house design as in the legendary 5300, ie proper surround walls and room walls, stairs etc. 9475 its just a wall with floors behind. May sound harsh but its very much what some  other playmo sets of today are like. not enough detail /depth if you ask me

Compare this 9475 to the small FAO Schwarz victorian house , might only be one room but the attention to detail and parts included is outstanding for a playmo set

The original victorian/1900 playmobil series is yet to be surpassed by far if you ask me  :)
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 22:51:25 »
While I agree it's not up to the design of the original Victorian range (since it's basically a set), it's no worse in that sense that the Sylvanian sets, and to my eye the design is more crisp and better. Sylvanian stuff is the same scale, but I don't think the detailing is there. So I can see that the Lucky House would be fine for building dios, but not so good for playing sadly.

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
Re: Wishing for a revival of the Victorian / 1900 ThemeEthic
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 12:04:21 »
Ethics?  Were the old klickies better behaved?  ???

Absolutely. Just have a look at todays klickies and compare them to the 70s/80s ones. There are too many points to raise from faces, posture etc. , etc.

The old klickies portrayed by their permanent features had a far higher degree of ' innocence' in their design / looks
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Basie10

• It's ok :)
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 07:13:32 »
Be great to see some more uniformed figures from some non-red or blue coated regiments of that era. Plus the object of my desire....a highlander in kilt playing the bagpipes :love: :love: