Author Topic: Would like a Roman Expansion  (Read 5950 times)

Offline Romemobil

• Playmo Enthusiast
  • Rome Sweet Rome !
Would like a Roman Expansion
« on: May 16, 2018, 12:29:26 »
Hi Everyone,
I know its been discussed on here before and I have to say I agree with many points made, I too would love to see a Roman expansion there is still so much that can be created and the beauty of it from a production aspect is that the Roman's mainly kept things simple when it came to design imagine a Playmobil Circus for example little more than an extension of the existing arena but with some straighter sides and a raised "spina" that could include the obelisk from set 4243 Pharaohs temple, or a Roman theatre based on the current arena design with modifications for more tiers, a classic and simple Roman Villa just look at the villas of Pompeii or Herculaneum to see how simple a design would need to be, a Roman aqueduct and street fountain or the splendour of an Imperial Palace to the more modest Roman Insulas (apartment buildings) with shops at street level.

I see Playmobil are due to expand their Ancient God's series so lets hope they expand their Ancient Roman one too

Thanks

John

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Would like a Roman Expansion
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 02:44:08 »
I could not possibly agree more. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out but yes those new Greek god boxes are labelled "History" and not Play + Give, so there's a tiny ray of hope. THE PEOPLE DEMAND HISTORY PLAYMOS
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 10:04:14 »
Giving us some (historically accurate) barbarians to pit against our Romans would be a good start. Also a historically accurate Roman fort. I’d take civilians and civilian buildings, but I’d rather they start from there.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:48:32 »
I agree.  Creating a Circus Maximus would be quite easy with just one or a couple new parts (i.e., straight pieces for the colosseum).  A Roman fort and civilian buildings would also be most welcome and could sell well, the former with boys and the latter with girls.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 13:53:58 »
I am quite sure many many boys (most roman collectors) would want civilian buildings - a lot more than a fort. That we kinda have. One way or THE OTHER.

Helpful explanatory infographic: A Holiday Toy Shopping Guide For Girls And Boys (link)

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 18:11:06 »
I agree.  Creating a Circus Maximus would be quite easy with just one or a couple new parts (i.e., straight pieces for the colosseum).  A Roman fort and civilian buildings would also be most welcome and could sell well, the former with boys and the latter with girls.

This sort of thinking is exactly the problem with Playmobil recently

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 21:24:18 »
This sort of thinking is exactly the problem with Playmobil recently

Agree. At least one of the main ones :(

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 01:31:58 »
I am quite sure many many boys (most roman collectors) would want civilian buildings - a lot more than a fort. That we kinda have. One way or THE OTHER.

Helpful explanatory infographic: A Holiday Toy Shopping Guide For Girls And Boys (link)

I wrote "boys" and "girls" because I was referring to children and not adult collectors.  Had I meant "male" or "female" or "men" or "women" I would have used those terms.

Yes, of course adult collectors like myself would be thrilled with additional Roman civilian buildings, possibly even more thrilled than they would be with a poorly designed new Roman fort, but I was attempting to illustrate to Playmobil that an expansion of the Roman theme could generate additional sales to children of both genders, since Playmobil doesn't really seem to take the adult market that seriously, by producing both military and civilian sets.

I also agree with Oliver and you that Playmobil tends to think of themes these days as "purely for boys" or "purely for girls" when, if they were done properly, could have a fair amount of crossover appeal for children of both genders.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 01:34:25 »
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:34:16 »
Playmobil tends to think of themes these days as "purely for boys" or "purely for girls" when, if they were done properly, could have a fair amount of crossover appeal for children of both genders.

One size fits all is what it's about. More boys are interested in the war stuff than girls so the theme becomes solely war. Girls are more into horses and fairies so pretty much those entire ranges are aimed at girls. It's not just Playmobil either. Spirit (the animation) is aimed only at girls, HTTYD is more gender neutral though the overall theme is violent.
If you want civilian stuff these days you have to go modern with Playmobil, they're just not interested. Oddly the Egyptians break this rule.
Western I don't think has a single female civilian and I'm not counting the Spanish wife in that western family set or the female bandit though she's the closest.

The town stuff worked in the early days because that was the default village style. Great for history dioramas now but it was a fluke. The modern sets only have modern styles (and often more simplistic) and with the style of the figures more realistic things are not backward compatible with earlier eras.