Author Topic: Articulated prototype  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
Re: Articulated prototype
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:53 »
THe joints would become loose in time ... or even worse, they would be loose out of the box. Then of course people would start clamouring for more joints, and the klicky would end up like one of these superhero action figures you see in comic stores: so many articulation points that it harms the actual sculpt. And what for ... for the figure to be able to bend over backwards and kiss it's own bottom? I can understand the functionality of a bendy elbow, but the rest ...

::)

I mean ... what's the use of individually articulated legs? A can-can diorama?
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 07:10:33 »
I agree. That's a great idea to have a selection based on specific purposes.

altho I usually say 'never say never' (like the new Fi?ures were unthinkable in those days :P) but this will be too extreme a move for Geobra ;)

I'm happy with a few permanently bent elbows...for a golfing klicky...or a prisoner with manacled wrists...and of course most importantly, firing rifles/arrows (afterall there are arms that cant raise higher than klicky-shoulder-levels, blocked by parts on their shoulders)

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 07:18:34 »
THe joints would become loose in time ... or even worse, they would be loose out of the box. Then of course people would start clamouring for more joints, and the klicky would end up like one of these superhero action figures you see in comic stores: so many articulation points that it harms the actual sculpt. And what for ... for the figure to be able to bend over backwards and kiss it's own bottom? I can understand the functionality of a bendy elbow, but the rest ...

::)

I mean ... what's the use of individually articulated legs? A can-can diorama?

I own several action figures that boast several points of articulation, and with modern materials I've noticed in most contemporary articulated toys, joints becoming loose doesn't seem to be a problem.  however it might be a problem if playmobil continues to use the cheaper plastics they've been using for some of their more current clickies (or even the older plastic which was prone to joint wear and looseness).

practical-wise, assuming the joints aren't prone to looseness, actually, poseable clickies can be very practical, including being able to do a can-can diorama.  I know, personally, I can appreciate the bending knees so that I can have two rows of firing redcoats:  one in back, standing, and one in front, kneeling.  And elbows would be awesome for many poses current clickes cannot do, including holding a rifle the proper way, for strafing the enemy, for holding a bow and arrow for archers to have better poses, for musician clickies to be able to not just hold their instruments at their sides, but be able to actually be posed PLAYING the instruments (violin, cello, guitar, saxaphone.)  And even the pianist could do with some bending knees so he can sit properly at the piano and operate the foot pedals (instead of sitting with his legs straight forward up off the ground).  The possibilities are endless!!!!  These are just to name a few!
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 07:30:45 »
I think we're missing the point here and looking at it exclusively from a grown-up collector's perspecvtive. Was there EVER a child in this world who felt shortchanged because his klicky pianist couldn't reach the pedals of his piano with his legs?

besides the fact that these points of articulation would probably drive the price of a klicky up.

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 07:45:49 »
I think we're missing the point here and looking at it exclusively from a grown-up collector's perspecvtive. Was there EVER a child in this world who felt shortchanged because his klicky pianist couldn't reach the pedals of his piano with his legs?

besides the fact that these points of articulation would probably drive the price of a klicky up.

my daughter has always tried to reconcile the piano player's limited leg pose with his ability to play the piano and look right doing so.  Even on the box picture, the clicky has to be akwardly fenageled to sit on the edge of the chair precariously so the legs can be bent at a 45 degree angle to reach the pedals..but then it doesn't stay on the seat if you even breathe on it, and falls off.  and my son often tries to pose his medieval archers and complains that they can't hold any arrows or face sideways to shoot.  And he's five.

these would have practical purposes.  And kids (myself included at that age) do often want more realism in their toys.  There's no denying that.  Ironically, I think its the nostalgic adult collectors who would be more the ones to be resistant to a new articulated clicky.  I think a kid would appreciate it even more. 
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 09:00:03 »
But why would a kid want to POSE anything? Posing is for us adults who want our action figures to look good on our desks or shelves. When I was young, imagination kicked in, and even though my cowboy held his rifle at an improbable angle, to me it still looked right. Or maybe it has to do with the fact that it was different back then ... and we had more imagination than today's kids? Could it be that?

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 10:42:38 »
I dont like it at all. Playmobil klikcies should have stayed the same as the originals with various add ons and no painted or permanement parts . Thast my view and that wiull always be my view . and the smiley should always be there . These prototypes are mostrosities , its not playmobil they are awful , Hans Bekc woudl never approve !!!!!!!!

The voice of evolution ... stopped in 1978 ...  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 00:00:20 »
There are child perfectionists out there who would truly enjoy life like poses! Some grown up collectors too ;D!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 03:44:11 »
Yeah, I was a perfectionist child, and I would have enjoyed being able to pose klickys. In fact, I think when I was a kid I would have been all for it. Now I'm a little more skeptical, and certainly wouldn't want them all to look like that.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline cheng

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 05:54:33 »
I do need bent knees and elbows sometimes...maybe someday PM will use some kind of new bendy materials that can only bend at the joints just for certain figures..not all.
I still keep all these figures....but they'll also make some of your stomachs turn :P