Author Topic: Greetings to all!  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
Re: Critical Mass
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 02:31:19 »
Well we all know that accumulating/collecting is a slippery slope to climb. Critical mass for me is when I feel I have enough figures to actually 'play' with (man a castle, have a battle, etc.) but like you said Martin, you start with 1 figure then he needs an enemy then they need friends and a place to live and on and on. When I first  came into Playmobil and looked around the net I didn't realize that there was so much customizing going on and I thought I really missed the boat on the various sets.

The first one I went after was the Crusader in black that was already listed as being retired and I had difficulty finding it in any local shops. Critical mass for him was 10 units before I could pause to catch my breath but I will stop at about 50 to back fill other lines like the Romans.

Then of course I needed a castle and so bought a 'carry along' castle for about $18 and then another for parts, then an 'Eagle Castle' and after reading the review comparing the Eagle and the Empire castle I decided the Eagle was good enough. But then they were the special for December from PlaymobilUS and I bought 2 more (for expansion purposes), then my wife bought me the Empire not knowing I had the Eagles!  I bought the Rock castle so the bad guys would have a home, and at last I was sated.  But wait!  In one of the conference photos someone was using a western fort for the Romans. The hunt was on again and what of the Viking/Barbarians? are they not deserving of a place to be attacked? and so it goes.

The Eagle was the only castle I actually set up and it took my whole gaming table! As for my casting, I am still looking for sample pieces to use as masters but can see I need many hats and  kitchen type items, for now I do this incidentally because there is so much to learn about the various lines and their history. I think my first project will end up being some new helmets for those Crusaders.

Regards,
Steve

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 10:24:38 »
The first one I went after was the Crusader in black that was already listed as being retired and I had difficulty finding it in any local shops. Critical mass for him was 10 units before I could pause to catch my breath but I will stop at about 50 to back fill other lines like the Romans.

Then of course I needed a castle and so bought a 'carry along' castle for about $18 and then another for parts, then an 'Eagle Castle' and after reading the review comparing the Eagle and the Empire castle I decided the Eagle was good enough. But then they were the special for December from PlaymobilUS and I bought 2 more (for expansion purposes), then my wife bought me the Empire not knowing I had the Eagles!  I bought the Rock castle so the bad guys would have a home, and at last I was sated.  But wait!  In one of the conference photos someone was using a western fort for the Romans. The hunt was on again and what of the Viking/Barbarians? are they not deserving of a place to be attacked? and so it goes.

The Eagle was the only castle I actually set up and it took my whole gaming table! As for my casting, I am still looking for sample pieces to use as masters but can see I need many hats and  kitchen type items, for now I do this incidentally because there is so much to learn about the various lines and their history. I think my first project will end up being some new helmets for those Crusaders.

Regards,
Steve

Oh my, this parallels my own experience of the last 9 months!

I've always been more interested in the figures than the buildings, but having acquired a number of knights they needed a home, so off I went and got TWO Eagle castles AND a Knight's Empire Castle, fortunately both reduced, on the same day. That was quite an interesting trip home on the bus, and my arms are still 2" longer.

Exactly like you, I then needed a home for opposition, and off I went and got the Rock castle - but then discovered there was a bigger one, so I got that.. and then I got the Rock castle expansions from the acccessories range, actually, ahem, two of each.  :-[

Having finally set up the Empire castle (with expansions from the Eagle castles) I found I had about 50 knights to man it, so I split them into the Blue Watch (with blue lion shields), Yellow watch (yellow lion) and Green or Eagle Watch, comprising all the Eagle Knights. Of course then the watches weren't quite the same size, so I ha dto acquire more, or make customs from spare parts, to even them out.

The Rock Castle then followed along much the same lines, though I still haven't actually counted the Red Dragon knights or worked out watches.

All that doesn't touch on the Romans, Pirates and Western themes of which I have quite a lot of figures.

Regarding the Special Crusaders, I also bought a few of the Black Cross ones as they were already out of the shops, then discovered an older red cross one so got a couple of those (via eBay), and now there's a new one due out with a bigger red cross and a new style helmet, so as soon as he's available I'll be getting a dozen. 

Then there's the Maltese Knight, who goes well with the Crusaders. They pop up on eBay occasionally, but they're not cheap.

And so it goes...

I have to set myself a unit size, maybe a dozen grunts with a couple of officers/NCOs, and then stick to it.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 12:39:19 »
I have to set myself a unit size, maybe a dozen grunts with a couple of officers/NCOs, and then stick to it.

I think I'll keep a copy of this, Martin. i've always found that it's difficult for me to remember ALL of my resolutions, so I thought that I'd help you out to remember this one of yours ... in about a year or so. Or, maybe less ... :lol:

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
Re: Greetings to all!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 13:40:11 »
Oops - somehow I managed to overlook this thread. Sorry about that Gepetto!
Anyway, a very warm welcome from the Netherlands. Even though it is somewhat late  :-[

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 01:50:49 »
Thank you Martin,

I knew there would be people who understood the dilemma. There's a bigger Rock Castle?  Since Christmas I have also picked up several expansion sets for the Empire and Rock castle.I had wondered if 2 Rock castles could be combined but have not seen any good photos showing that it could, the castle looks a little 'thin'.

I fixed my unit size at 20, that gives a good looking group on the table w/o looking scrawny or overwhelming.

I have intentionally kept off EBay due to the cost and I couldn't stand to end up with just 2 Maltese knights so I started fresh and anything else I get will be gravy.  I went to my local stockist (love that word) looking for some accessory Legionnaires and while looking around I saw a Viking fortress on a top shelf! I had given up finding one and thought that would start my foray into the murky world of EBay, when the clerk pulled it down there was another behind it! I thought I would faint.  Needless to say I am one happy camper, on to those Western Forts!

Regards,

Gepetto

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 12:10:46 »
I think I'll keep a copy of this, Martin. i've always found that it's difficult for me to remember ALL of my resolutions, so I thought that I'd help you out to remember this one of yours ... in about a year or so. Or, maybe less ... :lol:

LOL  ;D As I said, a couple of dozen grunts, and a full command structure of officers...

Thank you Martin,

I knew there would be people who understood the dilemma. There's a bigger Rock Castle?  Since Christmas I have also picked up several expansion sets for the Empire and Rock castle.I had wondered if 2 Rock castles could be combined but have not seen any good photos showing that it could, the castle looks a little 'thin'.

I fixed my unit size at 20, that gives a good looking group on the table w/o looking scrawny or overwhelming.

I have intentionally kept off EBay due to the cost and I couldn't stand to end up with just 2 Maltese knights so I started fresh and anything else I get will be gravy.  I went to my local stockist (love that word) looking for some accessory Legionnaires and while looking around I saw a Viking fortress on a top shelf! I had given up finding one and thought that would start my foray into the murky world of EBay, when the clerk pulled it down there was another behind it! I thought I would faint.  Needless to say I am one happy camper, on to those Western Forts!

Regards,

Gepetto

It may be that you've seen the larger 3269 Rock castle, and not the one I first got which is a bit smaller - just the rocks, central platform, and a couple of towers. The front gate is red with a dragon head, and the back is open. The larger 3269 castle has a black front gate, and a plain red back gate. The cage on the side is also red on the smaller castle, and black on the larger one.

The 2 large rocks of the rock castle cause the problem when trying to combine two sets. They're actually the same rock, just turned 180 degrees. The rock extends beyond the front of the stonework, so you can't easily add the extra 2 rocks at 90 degrees.

I briefly toyed with that, but the castle then wouldn't fit in it's current position on top of a chest of drawers, and I didn't have the energy to rebuild it on the floor. I think it might be done, using castle sections to fill the gaps - but then where would the front & back gates go?

So the usual problem occurs - you have to leave some bits out - and possibly buy extra bits to fill the gaps.

I had the same problem with my combined Eagle and Empire castles - lack of space. I have enough wall sections and gateways with drawbridges to make a gated town, but not the clear flat undisturbed area. I mwould be able to build a larger town  on the main dining table, but I wouldn't be able to keep it assembled for long.

So space, and time conditions dictated that if I wanted a castle I could keep assembled for months, it'd be on a smaller table in my study, and that limits the curtain wall length. With the castle assembled to my satisfaction, the size of the garrison (probably far too large for such a castle in reality) was determined, by the spaces available for the sentries.

I've got plenty of knights off eBay that I can't currently use, but can switch with the current crop when required.

Island of Toys made a good point in his intro thread, abut what he gets from Playmo, so I'll continue there.