Author Topic: Hello from Maryland, USA  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Juke

• Playmo Pal
Hello from Maryland, USA
« on: September 25, 2012, 19:39:10 »
Hello Playmofriends!

I am a new member here and wanted to formally introduce myself! Around 30 years ago, I received my one and only Playmobil toy from a McDonalds “Happy Meal”. From what I remember there was some sort of controversy because the McDonalds toys were not properly labeled and contained small parts that could be considered a choking hazard.  From that day on, (in our household) Playmobil toys were banned and referred to as “the toys that kill kids”. My over-protective mother promptly confiscated my toy and locked it away never to be played with again. Ironically, because of her actions , my lone Playmobil figure was hid safely away and went on to survive as one of only a few original toys (from my childhood) that I still have today.

I went on to (re)discover the world of Playmobil when as an adult, I started collecting for my own children.  I have a 1 year old son so, right now in our house the Playmobil 123 series is where it is at! My wife and I also have another child on the way. This has given me reason to collect the “First Smile” toys as well.

However, my collecting has not been limited to the age appropriate toys. In the future, when both of our children are a few years older and wise enough to not kill themselves by choking on the small parts … they will go on to inherit a small collection that I have already begun amassing (and playing with). One of the many things that draws me to the Playmobil brand is the variety of themes and ways in which they might be intermixed for more imaginative play.  Our collection spans many genres and is not very limited to any one theme or time period. I would not consider myself a serious collector. I buy what I like... and there is a lot to like when it comes to Playmobil.

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: Hello from Maryland, USA
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 19:50:58 »
A very warm welcome from Buenos Aires, Argentina!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 19:58:31 »
Warm welcome to you  :welcome: :wave: I feel sorry for you and your little Playmobil man finds themselves a new owner and then gets locked away because he's considered unsafe must be wondering what he's done to deserve such punishment  :'(  anyway hope you and yourfmaily all get loads of pleasur from you collection of Playmobil

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 20:22:25 »
 :wave: Welcome from your neighbor to the north.  I know you will find it a great place, so many wonderful people, so many interests.  I am introduced to something new everyday!  Not the best thing for my wallet!   :lol: :lol:
Joe
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 20:31:48 »
Welcome from Portugal!

My oldest playmobil will be 30 years old soon too, and they're fine :)

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 20:32:25 »
Hello and welcome on board. I wish you a lot of fun here with us.

Friendly from Greece,
George. :)
  Your passion, is inspiration for us!!!!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 20:38:35 »
Hello from North Western California  :wave:, I too started collecting for our sons when they were born. Our kids were never that interested in sticking small objects in their mouths so we went straight for standard playmo. It's been fun eversince  ;D
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline cowabounga

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 20:59:48 »
Hello and welcome here from Paris, France. Once you're here, you're doomed! And so is your wallet!  ;D
Life in the so called space age...

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 21:12:18 »
Howdy, and warm welcome from sunny Arizona. :wave:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 21:17:53 »
Hello and a very warm welcome from the UK!   :wave:  I'm glad you got over your bad start with Playmobil.  Fortunately, when I started collecting in 1997 at 53, I was past the small parts danger!  Right from the start, the world is full of small parts and though care is needed, an outright ban only increases the potential danger in some ways.  (I see that trampolines are the latest danger to kids according to some US paediatrics who quote statistics as to the number of accidents without, apparently, relating them to the number of kids using trampolines, so there goes another fun thing for kids to do!)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”