Author Topic: New stuff 2019  (Read 20691 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Re: New stuff 2019
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2019, 02:06:02 »
Don’t fret too much just yet, there is always the City Life, Fire/Police, Family Life, Wild Life themes to fanta-size. They kind of have started with calling them “action” themes. All they need is fisher-price colors and laser cannons on all the equipment  :hmm:

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline kenc

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2019, 08:31:11 »
No more Victorian Theme, since a long time.
No more Western Theme, with the exception of an occasional limited edition release and/or a special
No more Ancient (Roman/Egyptian) Theme
A very dumbed down and partly discontinued Pirates Theme, with not a single English or French soldier anymore.
A new Medieval Knights Theme that purely reflects SF & Fantasy battles and with nothing civilian in.
Wow, we should jump from joy that those 2 new "castles" will probably contain a few nice figures or accessories?

Once one could buy a 3666 castle and be excited about the castle itself as it came and all the klickies and stuff that came with it in the box, without having to technically alter walls to be able to build something else with it.
Once one could buy a realistic looking 3940 (big) Pirates Flagship, it came with a gundeck below where you could put 8 functional cannons, a nice captain hut with real windows below the quarterdeck, good colours, quality stickers, etc. It could be used as a trading galleon or a Navy frigate with only changing out some flags.
Even when they switched to System-X, one could buy f.e. a 3112 Harbour Prison Fortress and be very happy with it, and buy more of the same set to design & build a much larger fortress.
Plastic was thick and almost unbreakable.

Now they replace the entire medieval theme(s) with some small SF/Fantasy-looking "castles" that are made from extremely large (and ever thinner) wallparts and out of which one can´t build anything else, except when he or she has craftsmanskills to technically alter those parts.
Good luck with trying to build a large complex fortress, or even a simple wall around a Medieval city, out of the parts from these new castles. Good luck with using today´s blue or pink coloured dollhouse-façade as an 18th-century Governour´s Mansion for a Carribean Island harbour-city.

With the old(er) Playmobil buildings, figures, ships, wagons, etc. & etc. one could realistically and with great detail recreate an entire panaroma of historical cities and life from the Classic Civilisations, through the Dark Ages, the Medieval Centuries & the Renaissance all the way up to the Victorian Age. That is entirely impossible with what they release these days.

And then you say I´m wrong that the Good Days are gone? Where have you been the past decades?

And yes, children are not interested in History anymore and prefer Fantasy, "smart"phones, fast (volatile) stuff.
There was a survey in Belgium a few weeks ago, most of children aged around 12-14 don´t even know who Moses was. Julius Caesar, never heard of. Napoleon? That´s that gamble-provider, right?
When people forget about history, then they´ll make the same (severe) (historical) mistakes their ancestors did.

When I was a kid, I went to school, learned about history or life in general, and replayed / recreated that at home with my Playmo.
And though I don´t go to school anymore since several decades, today I still love to recreate historical life at home with my Playmo.
But I´m getting "old" (47 next month) and to me it seems a lot of folks are too busy swiping their dumbphones and have forgotten about the "Dark Ages" (the 1930s included).
Have they meanwhile noticed that China is doing an enormous military modernisation & build-up like Japan did in the 1930s and will soon be challenging the world and the US in particular for domination of the Pacific and it´s global, strategically important trade-routes? No.
Have they meanwhile noticed that China is at the same time also investing greatly in acquiring strategically important infrastructure & econnomic assets in Europe and Africa? No.
Have they noticed the growing "populistic" political influences in the West, somewhat similar to the 1930s? No.
Have they  noticed that everything they do is being monitored, tracked and stored (by f.e. Zoogle and people like Zuckerberg), a plethora of personal data that is then sold on to governments and corporations? No.

Fantasy is great, but when you have nothing else it makes you dumb as hell.
History is great, it lets you understand the world and see how things work and how they are connected, but be carefull, if you do too much research and see/understand too much,  it makes you frustrated, like me.  ;D

Second Hadoque's entire post  ;D

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2019, 17:40:16 »
Just spent the last 7 hours "busy swiping on my dumbphone" a Kindle version of a French book on Joan of Arc because a hard copy would take weeks to get here and the internet needs accurate historical facts now!  :lol:

Playmobil provides what it thinks children want, but it's not always what children want. My niece hasn't taken the slightest interest in the fairy, princess, or mermaid themes. She mostly wants more cats and hamsters. Don't we all? I'd legit buy a bulk pack of tiny animals if they offered one.

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2019, 17:55:36 »
Now the dust has settled on Hadoque's annual fit triggered by the unveiling of the new products, we can proceed with the dissection. Of the products, I mean. ;D Starting, of course, with the main dish. A fresh picture shows one of the two new castles in the distance:

And some new knights in the front.

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2019, 18:00:59 »
And there is a press release from the Toy Fair, reported, for example, here:

"Zum 45. Geburtstag der PLAYMOBIL-Ritter erscheint zudem der Erfolgs-Klassiker Ritterburg in seiner bisher größten und spektakulärsten Neuauflage. In zwei mächtigen Burgen mit kreativen Spiel- und Verteidigungsfunktionen sowie Geheimverstecken werden die Ritter ab 23. August 2019 um eine sagenumwobene, magische Rüstung wetteifern. Die Neuerfindung des Klassikers verspricht Ritter in allen Formen und Formaten und wird an allen Touchpoints inszeniert. Sieben Ergänzungssets wie die Wasserballiste, das Wolfsgespann oder der Feuergeist sind bereits in Planung und bringen Action ins Spiel. Eine mystische Story, originelle Charaktere und ausgetüftelte Waffen stehen für genialen Spielspaß nicht nur für Ritterfans."

You'll manage, I suppose?

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2019, 18:27:41 »
So we can watch out for the successors of the current pair 6000-6001 this August. They have long been on the shelves, since 2014 I believe, and I really did not expect another generation of large castles - more bases and take-along buildings at best. So that is a positive surprise. 6000 is a properly nice building, even kenc agrees, so I am very eager to see more revealing pictures!

I better open my 6000 before August arrives. 8}

Best wishes
StJohn

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2019, 18:31:05 »
And there is a press release from the Toy Fair, reported, for example, here:

"Zum 45. Geburtstag der PLAYMOBIL-Ritter erscheint zudem der Erfolgs-Klassiker Ritterburg in seiner bisher größten und spektakulärsten Neuauflage. In zwei mächtigen Burgen mit kreativen Spiel- und Verteidigungsfunktionen sowie Geheimverstecken werden die Ritter ab 23. August 2019 um eine sagenumwobene, magische Rüstung wetteifern. Die Neuerfindung des Klassikers verspricht Ritter in allen Formen und Formaten und wird an allen Touchpoints inszeniert. Sieben Ergänzungssets wie die Wasserballiste, das Wolfsgespann oder der Feuergeist sind bereits in Planung und bringen Action ins Spiel. Eine mystische Story, originelle Charaktere und ausgetüftelte Waffen stehen für genialen Spielspaß nicht nur für Ritterfans."

You'll manage, I suppose?

Best wishes
StJohn

The English translation:

On the occasion of the 45th birthday of the PLAYMOBIL knights, the successful classic Ritterburg will be released in its largest and most spectacular new edition to date. In two mighty castles with creative play and defense functions as well as secret hiding places, the knights will compete for a legendary, magical armor from August 23, 2019. The reinvention of the classic promises knights in all shapes and formats and is staged at all touchpoints. Seven additional sets such as the water ball, the wolf team or the fire spirit are already in planning and bring action into play. A mystical story, original characters and clever weapons are not just for knight fans

I’m interested in seeing how this plays out
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2019, 18:42:51 »
Thanks leefert! Wasserballiste is not a "water ball" but a water-throwing catapult, and a Wolfsgespann is a team of wolves yoked to a vehicle (a bit more specific than "wolf team"), but all in all the sense comes across.

Best wishes
StJohn

Edit: typo corrected
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:08:30 by StJohn »

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2019, 20:05:15 »
Google isn’t always reliable in translating, but it gets enough of it across.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2019, 21:50:49 »
And some new knights in the front.

Thank you - I like them :)

(hope the brat is not in the box..)