Author Topic: Converting Electric Train to RC?  (Read 5467 times)

Offline 123grams

• Playmo Pal
Converting Electric Train to RC?
« on: October 06, 2010, 17:38:15 »
:wave:

I have seen a post on converting RC train to Electric. Is it possible to do the reverse? I am hoping, with all different types of chassis in both Electric and RC, there must be a way.

Many thanks!

Al

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Converting Electric Train to RC?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 20:06:40 »

I have seen a post on converting RC train to Electric. Is it possible to do the reverse? I am hoping, with all different types of chassis in both Electric and RC, there must be a way.

Many thanks!

Al

Hello Al,

The conversion that most electric train fans might be interested in doing would be the one that LGB developed several years ago. The electric power to the rails is constant. This means that all the lights never change from bright to dim regardless of the trains speed, direction or stopping. The train's power from the track is always on. The RC controls the engine's throttle. Using the hand held RC control you take however much power you want from the rails. If you want to take more power from the rails for the engine, you open the throttle more and the train goes faster ... less, you start closing the throttle and the train goes slower. If you use the RC control to choose to not take any power from the rails, the engine stops.

It's a great system!

But, that probably wasn't your question. And, since most electric train enthusiasts seem to prefer the Electric over the RC with plastic rails, there may not be much information, or interest, in converting Electric to RC ... ;)

All the best,
Richard

Offline 123grams

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 20:03:13 »
Thanks Richard for the information!

I am planning on getting a Playmobil train which I can share with my 3 year old son. I like the design of older Playmobil trains available only in LGB but was concerned with the electric current running through tracks.

Thanks again.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 03:28:55 »

... concerned with the electric current running through tracks.

Al, the electric current running through the tracks is reduced from the "house current" by a transformer. In the United States the maximum train voltage is only about 14 to 18 volts. This is considered to be quite safe. Flashlights (British "torches") are usually 3 to 6 volts. Low voltage lights are usually 12 volts. And, it's seldom that an electric train is run faster than 8 to 12 volts.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 21:00:26 »
The problem is that the new R.C. motor block is slightly wider then the old electric ones.
Also the R.C. train chassis has a cut out in it where the battery holder is, so the convert the old trains to R.C. will require a lot of work. Also in the EU electric trains are not reccomended for children under 8, this is the reason Playmobil when for battery operated trains on plastic track.
They kept to the same gauge and scale so that the old stock would still run on the new track.

Offline schluss

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 16:59:23 »
:wave:

Many thanks!

Al

Hi !

Which loco would you like to convert?

For the Diesel-engine (4050) a spare part from set 4085 will be available, which can house the RC-unit.

For all other locos a bigger modification , as Walter wrotes, is necessary.

Regards
Rainer

Offline schluss

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 12:14:15 »
Hi !

Which loco would you like to convert?

For the Diesel-engine (4050) a spare part from set 4085 will be available, which can house the RC-unit.

For all other locos a bigger modification , as Walter wrotes, is necessary.

Regards
Rainer

For the small steam loco (4051) also a RC-Chassis from Set 4017 is available.

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 19:33:24 »
Any of the 0-4-0 locos and the small diesel bodies will fit on to a R.C. loco or diesel chassie, as the connecting lugs are in the same place. However you will need to drill a hole for the airial in the body of the locos. The cost of the R.C. motor block and the chassie could be more then bying an old R.C. loco on ebay.

Offline schluss

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 13:30:03 »
Hi !

If you are also member of the KLICKYWELT-forum, you can see some picture how to convert a 4053 into a RC-version:
http://www.klickywelt.de/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26139&start=0

Regards
Rainer