Author Topic: Barbecue Coals  (Read 5037 times)

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
Barbecue Coals
« on: February 12, 2006, 17:30:27 »
When the BBQ dad special (4649) came out, this was a must for a modern themes collector like me. Although it looks very nice on the box's photograph, it seems to me that something was missing, when I unpacked and assembled it. Because the bottom hemisphere of the barbecue looks somehow empty, I decided to add the missing piece and customized some coals. I used the potatoes basket inlay (30 09 6850) for this purpose: the edge has been removed with a Dremel (usage with the cylindric sanding top part) in that way, that it fits into the grill and the grate still can be placed on top as foreseen. I painted the potatoes with Revell 32125 luminous orange mat enamel paint (using priming paint first).
Additionally I produced a second identic inlay which I painted black mat (or to be precise: anthracite mat) for coals not on fire.

By the way, the sausages chains from the butcher shop (4412) are very useful to setup a BBQ: with a sharp knife you can break up the chain into single sausages which are much nicer for decoration.

[This article is also available at my homepage.]

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
Re: Barbecue Coals
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 18:11:58 »
That's great Little Jo,

A simple little custom job and it looks very effective, I think all BBQ's should have hot potatoes under them.  ;D
I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 18:35:06 »
Thanks for the tips  :)

And a nice picture you got there. All you are missing now are rainclouds  >:(

:lol:

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 19:02:35 »
Super idea! This is a really nice way to add an extra touch of realism to your Playmo scenes. :D Thanks for sharing it, Jochen! :)9

I already separated some of the butcher shop sausages for a bbq pic too. :yup:

Btw, are Little Jo and Kay expecting company? That's a lot of sausages for just 2 people. ;D

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 20:54:41 »
That's a neat bit of customising, Jochen.  A third option would be a mix of the luminous orange and the anthracite to give the impression of a barbecue which has just been refuelled.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 20:56:29 »
Btw, are Little Jo and Kay expecting company? That's a lot of sausages for just 2 people. ;D

Aehm, well, yes, for sure ... it's actually a lot of. They have placed dishes for four people on the table ... so that's enough for themselves and a friendly couple ...  :hmm: hm, but seems that this is also quite a lot for four people too ...

(Maybe I was influenced by the subconscious, because we had a similiar situation when we made a housing party last summer with some friends after we moved houses ... or maybe I just want to show some nice pieces, which fits quite well to a barbecue afternoon/evening ... who knows  ;))

BTW, really nice and atmospheric you BBQ picture  :D. If you wouldn't have mentioned it, I would never have discovered the separated sausages.

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 21:02:19 »
And a nice picture you got there. All you are missing now are rainclouds  >:(

:lol: Yes, maybe it's the wrong season to post such a photo (we are here still stuck in masses of snow).

That's a neat bit of customising, Jochen.  A third option would be a mix of the luminous orange and the anthracite to give the impression of a barbecue which has just been refuelled.

Yes, my wife also suggested this. But I decided to go for the "more Playmobil style", i.e. just to use a unique color (aehm, ok, maybe this is the current Playmobil style, but as they also become more detailed over the years, I probably have to adapt it sooner or later in the suggested way  ;D)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 21:09:38 »
Yes, my wife also suggested this. But I decided to go for the "more Playmobil style", i.e. just to use a unique color (aehm, ok, maybe this is the current Playmobil style, but as they also become more detailed over the years, I probably have to adapt it sooner or later in the suggested way  ;D)

As your wife suggested it, you will almost certainly have to adapt, and sooner rather than later! ;D
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 21:14:04 »
(Maybe I was influenced by the subconscious, because we had a similiar situation when we made a housing party last summer with some friends after we moved houses ... or maybe I just want to show some nice pieces, which fits quite well to a barbecue afternoon/evening ... who knows  ;))

And it looks great! :D You always go to a lot of trouble to set up an interesting scene when showing us your latest customised items. 8-)

BTW, really nice and atmospheric you BBQ picture  :D. If you wouldn't have mentioned it, I would never have discovered the separated sausages.

Thanks! :) I agree that they aren't very easy to see. I was trying to get a lot into the scene and finding an angle where everything could be seen clearly was pretty difficult without going high overhead, and I prefer not to do that.

I decided to go for the "more Playmobil style", i.e. just to use a unique color

Very good choice of colour, I thought. Looks very similar to the burning logs in the Dollshouse fireplaces. :yup:

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 19:31:08 »
Hello  Little Jo

These are excellent and very effective indeed !!. There is real sense of 'heat' given off by the orange paint that you used :). Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share this custom with us  :)9

Kindest Regards  Tim  :wave:

(28/5/03/850)