Author Topic: WHAT COULD BE BETTER WITH PLAYMOBIL  (Read 30709 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: WHAT COULD BE BETTER WITH PLAYMOBIL
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 10:35:09 »
A Playmobil Theme Park in the South East of England to compete with Legoland Windsor would put them on the map better in the UK.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 10:47:36 »
A Playmobil Theme Park in the South East of England to compete with Legoland Windsor would put them on the map better in the UK.

How about the North? After all, the south-east has Eurostar and the Paris FunPark is some 300 miles away, about 70 miles further than from Ripon (our nearest city) to London, and then people could come "oop North" for a change to the land of clogs, cloth caps and whippets! ;D

(Interestingly enough, Lego were looking at having an indoor Lego Discovery Centre in Scarborough, but the deal fell through late this month.  when Martin Entertainments, described as Legoland's parent company, announced it was going to concentrate on mainland Europe and the USA.)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 16:34:32 »
I like a lot of the ideas mentioned, especially larger more complicated and detailed sets, Georgian buildings, an expanded Victorian theme, and a parts list for Specials.  Unfortunately, however, I don't see any of this happening even though it very easily could.  For example, I' be willing to pay an extra 10 cents or whatever it would cost to put in a parts list for Specials and I don't think that would affect sales whatsoever.  Similarly, I'd be willing to spend $XXX on a huge, complicated, detailed set (e.g. a large pirate ship, a large medieval castle, a Roman town, a true Viking village, etc.).  Although these obviously wouldn't sell well with children, Playmobil probably could sell enough to the adult and collector market, especially if they ran them as a "limited collector's edition of 1000 sets" or something to make it profitable.

Regarding pure figure sets, I think Playmobil is doing a mostly good job of this.  For example, there are the 3-pack klickies and individual leader figures available for many themes, such as Romans, Gauls, various medieval groups, redcoats, Civil War, Western, etc.  That said, there are a number of odd decisions they have made.  For example, the redcoat package should consist of 3 identical privates rather than having one sergeant, one corporal, and one private.  Similarly, when they did have the French bluecoat package, rather than having 3 identical privates, they gave us two different officers and one private.  These poor choices makes it very difficult and expensive to build an army!  With the Roman Add-Ons, while the legionaries, tribune, Gauls, and family are great, why don't they give us an archer 3-pack and why did they give the auxiliary soldiers the wrong footwear, helmets, and spears?  (If the klickies are meant to be earlier legionaries then the pilum are okay.)

For my fantasy improvement, I'd like to be able to custom order klickies (e.g. body from A klickly in 1111, arms from B klicky in 2222, legs from C klicky in 3333, head from D klicky in 4444, hair from klicky E in 5555, beard from klicky F in 6666, epaulettes from klicky G in 7777, etc.).  I know this would never happen, but it would be much cheaper and easier for those of us wanting to assemble customs by the dozens.  Although this will never happen, if they charged enough per klicky and had a minimum order number, this could possibly make them money and make adult collectors happy.
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 15:11:31 »
i am so glad a lot of new ideas are coming up.  :)
i will add an old one: an european playmobil site with online shopping.  0)
i can see that this could cause some commercial problems with distributors but if, at least, direct service was available (with sets that you can't buy on a regular shop) it would be great.
lego has done this with no problems.  :hmm:
geobra could do it too.  :yup:
i am sure people in iceland, portugal, italy, ireland, denmark, greece, slovenia, hungary, slovakia, czech republic, poland, lithuania, latvia, estonia, finland, sweden and norway (all european union or efta countries with no playmo-official-sites) would love the idea.
  :love:
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 15:27:47 »
For my fantasy improvement, I'd like to be able to custom order klickies (e.g. body from A klickly in 1111, arms from B klicky in 2222, legs from C klicky in 3333, head from D klicky in 4444, hair from klicky E in 5555, beard from klicky F in 6666, epaulettes from klicky G in 7777, etc.).  I know this would never happen, but it would be much cheaper and easier for those of us wanting to assemble customs by the dozens.  Although this will never happen, if they charged enough per klicky and had a minimum order number, this could possibly make them money and make adult collectors happy.

Better, have every klicky part with its own unique part number that we can order from - including the chassis inside, hair, head and beard, and supposedly "unremovable" attachments like collars.

That would make complete customisation possible, or part customisation. For example for my Morris Dancing team I wanted about ten sets of white legs with black shoes. How much easier if would have been if I could order ten of that set of legs.

It would also be easier to amend current figures to get a particular uniform or look, or to replace parts on broken klickies, and I could reduce most of the NCOs in my redcoats and US Civil War armies to the ranks without trying to rub off their stripes.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 18:07:14 »

Hello, Martin ...  :wave:

... and I could reduce most of the NCOs in my redcoats and US Civil War armies to the ranks without trying to rub off their stripes.

Just a suggestion .. But, you may want to be careful about reducing your NCOs to the ranks. You might end up with a lot of your Klickys looking like this fellow ...  :lol:

All the best,
Richard
see attachment

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 21:51:41 »
What Playmobil could do better:

Chesty-er klickies.  I'm talking Barbie.  I'm talking klickies that fall forward.  You know what I mean?   

But seriously:
A more dynamic add-on selection, similar to what Martin is suggesting. 

Playmobil USA direct sales is sold-out of everything Roman.

This is bad for me.
Bad for Playmobil.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 

-Tim

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 14:49:46 »
i will add an old one: an european playmobil site with online shopping.  0)

That's a very good idea! And at least in the cold North it will be like that in few years. In 2009 a PLAYMOBIL site will be released in each of the the nordic languages. Besides this the DS will be available from next year :woohoo:

All these changes are only becoming true because PLAYMOBIL Benelux has taken over the nordic market, this year, after a distributor.

PS: The cold north includes Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland. (And Iceland too)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 16:44:14 by LHAAP »

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 16:25:14 »
 :'( you are forgetting the coldest north country lhapp - iceland.
i bet playmo-icelandic fans should be sad.
maybe they could are only 100 or less (in a total population of 300.000) but they are very nice people.  :)
if someone finds out that bjork is a playmo-fan, maybe then things can change.  ;)

i wish playmobil-benelux could be the responsible for the portuguese very small market instead of playmobil-iberia (with its headquartes in spain).  :-\

that way, i am sure, all my emails regarding absent or wrong parts in new sets would have an answer.  >:(
i don't know if the spanish playmo-guys are of the very nationalist kind (and resent the fact that portugal was able to remain independent from spain) or if they can´t understand any other language besides spanish (i prefer to believe in this second, more benevolent, explanation).  0)

Benelux trade culture would no doubt be better...
  :love:
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 16:39:25 »
:'( you are forgetting the coldest north country lhapp - iceland.
I'm so sorry that I forgot to include the Republic of Iceland on my nordic list - of course Iceland should has been there too :-[ I send my deepest apologies to the Icelanders!
And just to make it totally clear; Iceland isn't serviced by Benelux (as the other nordic countries), but by EIRIKSSON sf. in Hafnarfjördur.

:'(
i wish playmobil-benelux could be the responsible for the portuguese very small market instead of playmobil-iberia (with its headquartes in spain).  :-\

that way, i am sure, all my emails regarding absent or wrong parts in new sets would have an answer.  >:(
I'm sad to here that the people at PLAYMOBIL Iberia don't do their job well. Have you tried to write an e-mail to PLAYMOBIL in Zirndorf regarding the problem?