Author Topic: CAD (computer aided design) for Playmobil structures  (Read 15959 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: CAD (computer aided design) for Playmobil structures
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 18:13:44 »

A definite maybe!  I'd need help, not only on the back end, but the ability to pull in the interested public to contribute.  (The emergence of collaborative media, also known as Web 2.0, makes this a much more likely option than it might have been in the past.)  As long as the focus stays on helping Playmobil owners enjoy their collections and creations, it will stay fun and rewarding for me, which is pretty much the only way to guarantee my work.

The proper enquiries/inquiries will be made ... ;)

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 18:30:08 »
Thanks for giving this subject its own thread!  Very exciting discussion here! 

I have tried the LEGO design programs in the past and just looked at the latest version.  I am simply not geeky enough (though truly I do claim some level of geekdom for myself ;) ) to delve into them deeply enough to adapt them for Playmobil parts.  Also, although I do enjoy LEGO I don't love it enough to learn the whole LEGO design thing for this purpose. 

. . . I'd need help, not only on the back end, but the ability to pull in the interested public to contribute.  (The emergence of collaborative media, also known as Web 2.0, makes this a much more likely option than it might have been in the past.)  As long as the focus stays on helping Playmobil owners enjoy their collections and creations, it will stay fun and rewarding for me, which is pretty much the only way to guarantee my work.

The proper enquiries/inquiries will be made ... ;)

If Heather were on board and Richard can work his magic, I would definitely be interested in doing whatever I could to help out.  (It would be a welcome change from caressing my MISB sets and wondering how much I could get for them on ebay!)

Do we want a CAD in which we create pieces from scratch, or in which we have a library of pre-designed pieces that we assemble at will?

Why not both?  The library of all existing pieces would be a must, with the ability to alter colors as desired.  But how many times have we all tried to build something only to discover that a particular connector or roof piece or what-have-you simply does not exist?  The ability to modify existing pieces and to create new pieces would be very useful in these cases.  There is so much brilliant creative energy in the Playmobil community that I can't even begin to imagine the wonderful and entirely new things people would design with this capability.

I doubt PM would ever give us that sort of support though, considering that would be a seriously adult-collector-oriented project.  We'd be more likely to get a dress-up video game, with a limited selection of parts for a specific theme, to create our characters, and go through some sort of adventure.

It could be a good income source for them though - people might be inspired to order lots and lots of parts through direct service (Geobra would probably need to expand DS) and these are parts which don't have to be packaged in pretty boxes and sent out to retailers for resale.  Geobra would potentially be able to sell large quantities of product directly to consumers. These would be products which enhance the retail line and which aren't directly in competition with the retail line.  Geobra could also learn what new parts are desired so that they could manufacture and sell them (for example the much-desired Steck/System X connector.)

It would not only appeal to adult collectors, but to parents who like to play long with their kids (a lot of us got started that way :yup: .)  It would also appeal to kids who are older and still enjoy Playmobil but don't necessarily want to admit it  :P .  The program should include the ability to catalog the sets and parts that one owns (as a design tool) but also to help to organize and inventory all those thousands and thousands and thousands of pieces 8}.

- Anne

« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 18:36:46 by Indianna »
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 04:18:12 »

The proper inquiries/enquiries have been made and have been answered.

The message is that we should wait and revisit this topic next year with "fresh" eyes.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 16:55:18 »

The message is that we should wait and revisit this topic next year with "fresh" eyes.

Hmmm . . . very mysterious . . . but intriguing.   :crossed:  Keeping my fingers crossed for luck.  :)

- Anne

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 17:45:47 »

Aw, Richard, that's completely cryptic. 
Using your depth of experience and worldly wisdom, could you give the less sophisticated among us some insight into what this means?

Possible interpretations:
1) PM doesn't have the budget this year and doesn't like our ideas, but next year we should try again, preferably with a new generation of collectors ("fresh eyes") because they are thoroughly exhausted by the current one.

2) Playmobil appreciates our interest, but won't commit to anything, but doesn't want us to give up.

If my two interpretations are too cynical, a wiser mind guiding us to better conclusions might be helpful.   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

-Tim

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 19:03:58 »

If my two interpretations are too cynical, a wiser mind guiding us to better conclusions might be helpful. 

The thought is that with next year's "fresh eyes" we will be able to more wisely revisit this topic!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 19:10:16 »

Thought everyone might like to take a look at ...

The Definition of "wise":

"Having knowledge or information to discern and properly judge what is true or correct."

All the best,
Richard

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 20:44:10 »
Interpreting in the most positive but unrealistic light I guess it means there is no point making a CAD for System X because they are planning on discontinuing it next year and going back to Steck.  :o  ;D  Somehow I don't think that will be it.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 02:37:08 »
Interpreting in the most positive but unrealistic light I guess it means there is no point making a CAD for System X because they are planning on discontinuing it next year and going back to Steck.  :o  ;D  Somehow I don't think that will be it.

I put together the arena yesterday and noticed how "steckish" a lot of it was.  The cage walls connect through tabs instead of System-X dowels as with Castle 3268 and so does the floor over the imperial grandstands.

Actually, on that subject--there is something worse than System X....

If Playmobil goes to a non-inter-compatible "click-and-lock" connection system.  Much of the Arena's imperial grandstand is click-and-lock (ie. once you lock it, don't try to unlock it!).

Huge sheets of non-inter-compatible pieces may be PM's long term drift.  Note that with Castle 3268, the arena, and to some degree the rock castle--these sets involve huge single sheets of plastic that are not easily re-usable with other sets.

-Tim

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 02:42:56 »

While I like your thinking, Tim (being a Steck fan, myself  :yup:) my interpretation of Richard's hint is that something is in the works which we will hear about next year but he probably can't say more without being indiscreet.  

Of course, that shouldn't keep us from talking about what we'd like to see in a software package so that if and when something is ever developed we may be able to influence the design.