Author Topic: Sinterklaas themed figures serie  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
Re: Sinterklaas themed figures serie
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2023, 20:27:23 »
Would be AWESOME if someone could share that insight with playmobil.. They make these new themed "my figures" (or whatever they are called) sets (something we collectors figured was a great idea when the figures first appeared, btw) - but the skincolors make it impossible to switch parts, so.. what was the point again?
<sigh>

Trying… trying… I’m hoping they are reading this post  ;)

I’m having inspiration right now: nr 9 & 10: the Music Pieten. At the “Intocht”/ arrival of Sinterklaas there always is a marching band/local orchestra playing (at least where I live). So it would be wonderful to have a male and female music Piet. I chose to make the male dark tan. But with a lot of figures, it would be possible to switch heads/arms and hair pieces. Then these 2 would make a whole band.
(Without the hat and gold puffs they would make a good normal marching band. There is no playmobil version of a drum with shoulder straps but I would guess that these would be popular in the US. For the US one or both figures should have a dark skintone, but I choose not to do a dark skinned Piet because it would be too controversial for playmobil (and 2 skintones is easier to mix and match)

I hope you like these 2.

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2023, 20:59:48 »
And here is number 5: The Captain of the steamboat of Sinterklaas.
He’s got gold and turquoise stripes on the side of his pants.

For the accessories I chose a toy sailboat. If you take the lower part of the sailboat and make a different top you can create a steamboat toy. (A steamboat toy would probably do well in a Victorian nursery)

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2023, 13:17:32 »
These would have so many great parts! It'd be especially nice to have all of those hats in new colours. :D
~Pynedor~

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2023, 14:26:21 »
I specifically collected them early on recognizing the controversy they would cause

Playmobil has quite a few questionable sets and they from time to time let one thankfully slip out

Keep up the dark humor Geobra , I really appreciate it

Hobo & cop
Hippy pushing biker off of cliff
Pirate slave

To bad the recent Ferrari didn’t come with crypto in a suitcase
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2023, 19:58:57 »
These would have so many great parts! It'd be especially nice to have all of those hats in new colours. :D

Yes! And it’s a lot of fun planning the different Pieten  ;D

I specifically collected them early on recognizing the controversy they would cause

That was good thinking. I came a bit late to the playmobil party.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2023, 16:03:47 »
These are amazing! I absolutely agree we would all benefit from firmly moving away from the out-dated and offensive imagery, and your ideas and drawings look just the part.

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2023, 16:53:16 »
Thanks. I’m now trying out different colour combinations. More drawings are coming.
Do you know if there are differences in Celebrating Sinterklaas in Belgium compared to The Netherlands? Is there also a market for the Pieten in Belgium?

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2023, 20:55:46 »
I’ve decided to change some of the Pieten, to be able to change the parts more easily to create even more different ones. So the music Pieten are out. Unfortunately a bit too distinctive. But hopefully the idea gets picked up for a duo pack.
I can give some of the Pieten that don’t have a job yet some instruments to make them music Pieten.

So these are left:
1. Sinterklaas
2. Horse

Male Pieten
3. Head Piet: Dark blue and gold, dark brown hair.
4. Captain Piet: Dark blue, turquoise and gold. Dark tan. Black hair.
5. Baker Piet: White, green and gold. Blonde hair.
6. Gift wrapping Piet: Orange, turquoise and gold. Asian eyes. Black hair.
7. ? Piet: Turquoise, Purple and gold. Dark orange hair.

Female Pieten
8. Horse Piet: Pink, orange and gold. Blonde braid.
9. ? Piet: Purple, pink and gold. Asian eyes, black princess braid
10. ? Piet: Yellow, green and gold. Dark tan. Short classic black hair
11. ? Piet: Purple, yellow and gold. Dark brown braid.

Children
12. Set of boy and girl dressed as Pieten

I made new drawings of the female Pieten.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2023, 21:10:40 »
Thanks. I’m now trying out different colour combinations. More drawings are coming.
Do you know if there are differences in Celebrating Sinterklaas in Belgium compared to The Netherlands? Is there also a market for the Pieten in Belgium?

Yes, well, the controversy is a bit different here - I think at least in part because of the series Dag Sinterklaas from the early nineties.
When I was young, they aired that popular Sinterklaas series on TV and it already addressed and changed parts of the old narrative. We grew up learning the black came from the soot in the chimney, and Piet was portrayed as Sint's playful, funny best friend (as opposed to Sint as his superior and someone who punishes kids). They also did away with the stick (roe) and Sinterklaas always concluded there were no naughty children at all. But the way Piet looked was still wildly problematic (golden earrings, wig with curly hair, red lipstick).
Since people spoke out against it, they've created a new television show with Pieten with a few black smudges from the soot, no wigs, no offensive imagery. They also added new characters, and female characters too. I think within the next 5 to 10 years, it will be the new normal for everyone. There's less of a heated debate here, less protest on the streets like we hear about in the Netherlands.

We see the same marketing changes you mention: Some companies (f.e. for chocolate men, speculoos...) decide to incorporate Pieten with smudges, some have dropped Piet and focus on Sinterklaas and his horse, and a small minority haven't made any changes. I think they're waiting to see where it goes.
I still see old books, drawings and toys with the old imagery, but there's also a lot of new material blending in with the old too. To anwser your question: there is definitely a market for Pieten here. It's easily the most celebrated holiday for kids.

Offline Eplay

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2023, 21:34:05 »
Yes, well, the controversy is a bit different here - I think at least in part because of the series Dag Sinterklaas from the early nineties.

I remember that program or at least the host (I’m a 90s kid).

To anwser your question: there is definitely a market for Pieten here. It's easily the most celebrated holiday for kids.

So playmobil has 2 countries where these figures would probably sell very well if they choose to embrace the smudge Pieten. I really believe it would be an easy way to get more kids (and parents) to love playmobil again. Most people pay up to €5 for a shoe present, so the figures series are in the budget, even if you include more accessories.