Author Topic: Elevated and Trestle Track  (Read 1427 times)

Offline batrugger

• Playmo Pal
Elevated and Trestle Track
« on: November 18, 2022, 18:57:58 »
Hi everyone, I signed up back in 09, but it's been a long time since I've been on here. I've been accumulating Playmobil trains, track, and accessories since the early 90's after I saw a 4052 in a German Toys R Us while stationed there with the Army. I've never really built a big layout, but I'm hoping to learn and I've always wanted to make a Playmobil exclusive Town with a train. Hopefully I can get some great ideas and learn the best way to run the LGB track.

I’m looking for photos of elevated train rail and bridges using steck with the brown safari and warehouse platform pieces. I remember seeing a really nice trestle bridge made with Playmobil pieces for a western train, but I can’t find it now. With the pieces I have, this is what I could come up with for a trestle bridge. This is the limit of my expanse though because, the track needs the outer trim bumper pieces from 4305 to keep it level and from sliding off. Unfortunately these pieces are rare and expensive if you find them. I also wish I had some of those stone 4 way connectors instead of the tan, but I think it all looks pretty good.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Elevated and Trestle Track
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 19:59:47 »
Hi, and welcome to the board and particularly the Train section.   :wave:

I've used the trestles a in a number of ways with trains and am fortunate that I have two sets of the loading platform accessory set plus some spare bits from safari sets.  However much you have, it doesn't go far, so usually I combine it with bridge piers by LGB and/or baseboard sections on a suitable height and size.

Here are a couple of short videos which include the trestle sections on my layout at the 2022 Kirkbean Playmobil Exhibition.

https://youtu.be/Q_xn5kmrUug

https://youtu.be/OzHOhNfFXC4

As you can see, I use the square flooring sections on the trestle to support the track.  I've never though of using those other pieces as you have, but then I don't have many of them.

There's little to help you in the old Playmobil catalogues there is one in a 1987 catalogue like the trestle bridge you have created and another in a Victorian scene.  However, these were created in a photo studio and even though this was in the days before Photoshop, you could still do things in a photo studio which cannot be recreated in the outside world.  I will scan the picture and post it here over the weekend.  I'll also post some of the other trestles I have built.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline batrugger

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 21:02:15 »
Thanks, that sounds great. I like to build big castles so I have a lot of steck pieces and I’m always on the hunt for more platform pieces since they are so versatile. Without the bumpers on top, the track won’t lie flat so I assume I would have to double the width without them. There’s a lot of fun stuff in those videos, hanks for the links.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 21:13:19 by batrugger »

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 10:34:16 »
Welcome back, batrugger!

You should find plenty of fellow train enthusiasts to help you, as playmofire already has. Luckily (for my wallet) I have avoided the train theme, so far....

... the track needs the outer trim bumper pieces from 4305 to keep it level and from sliding off. Unfortunately these pieces are rare and expensive if you find them.

Sounds like a candidate for 3D printing!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2022, 10:41:03 »
Welcome back, batrugger!

You should find plenty of fellow train enthusiasts to help you, as playmofire already has. Luckily (for my wallet) I have avoided the train theme, so far....

Sounds like a candidate for 3D printing!

Good thinking, Graham.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 21:25:23 »
Some more trestle bridge ideas:

a Christmas one by day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-9Y_UqJvg

and by night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhknMiwmkA

Offline batrugger

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 17:59:09 »
Some more trestle bridge ideas:

a Christmas one by day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-9Y_UqJvg

and by night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOhknMiwmkA

Thank you for the links. It looks like the track sits well on the top of the bridge. I’m guessing that  the ends of it on the platforms keep it stable on the bridge.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 18:51:56 by batrugger »

Offline batrugger

• Playmo Pal
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 18:49:35 »
I changed the bridge so it uses stone columns from the castle sets. I like this better, it looks cleaner and more European. I also have the wooden columns with 3 sided connectors from the western and safari sets to make it all wood bridge for a cleaner look that will go well with an old west look.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 21:59:22 by batrugger »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 19:37:08 »
Looks very good.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2022, 03:29:46 »

It’s fun to build with stecks
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays: