Author Topic: How to Get Ideas to Playmobil?  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
How to Get Ideas to Playmobil?
« on: October 23, 2021, 17:21:22 »
I know this is the mother of all pipe dreams, but if one were serious enough to want to reach out to Playmobil....how would they do it? As I've said before, I've plenty of ideas to give, and currently mourn the lack of direction the company seems to have with its designs. It'd be nice if even a few could see the light of day.  :-\

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: How to Get Ideas to Playmobil?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 18:43:44 »
It would be interesting to hear from Bart on this.

I know that I have posted customs here that have been copied by the company. I did a figure once that was copied exactly in a set a few years later. I did a diorama in 2016 Hotel and Harbor where I used the 5636 - Luxury Beach House as the basis of an ice cream shop, and they released the exact thing in 2020 as 70279 - Waterfront Ice Cream Shop

We have an old thread in this very forum about animals we wanted to see and an amazing number of them have been done over the last decade. The most recent being the red panda that looks like a design posted in the forum here.

I think they do pay attention to the collector forums and what people are asking about and suggesting. How much though I do not know.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 18:48:49 »
I agree with Tim, Bart is the man.  Like Tim, I have had a custom copied by Playmobil, a rigid inflatable fire rescue boat.  Here is their version:

https://www.playmobil.co.uk/firefighting-inflatable-boat-with-trailer/9845.html

(In fairness to Playmobil, mine didn't have a trailer.)
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 19:02:08 »
In the old days of letters, they supposedly recorded every letter written in. I certainly wrote to them as a child, and the letter back wasn't a standardised reply.

I'm pretty sure they initially said they wouldn't make Romans because all the requests for it came from older children, who they thought were about to grow out of Playmobil, though obviously they did make them in the end.

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2021, 19:22:29 »
It would be interesting to hear from Bart on this.

I know that I have posted customs here that have been copied by the company. I did a figure once that was copied exactly in a set a few years later. I did a diorama in 2016 Hotel and Harbor where I used the 5636 - Luxury Beach House as the basis of an ice cream shop, and they released the exact thing in 2020 as 70279 - Waterfront Ice Cream Shop

We have an old thread in this very forum about animals we wanted to see and an amazing number of them have been done over the last decade. The most recent being the red panda that looks like a design posted in the forum here.

I think they do pay attention to the collector forums and what people are asking about and suggesting. How much though I do not know.

I agree with Tim, Bart is the man.  Like Tim, I have had a custom copied by Playmobil, a rigid inflatable fire rescue boat.  Here is their version:

https://www.playmobil.co.uk/firefighting-inflatable-boat-with-trailer/9845.html

(In fairness to Playmobil, mine didn't have a trailer.)

Wow! Were you guys offended? Kinda sucks how they'd just take it without at least contacting you.   :-\

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 21:12:24 »
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I have had very good relations with the company in the old days when HOB was still around. Everyone I met at the company back then is gone now. While it would be nice to be recognized, they don't have a system like Lego where fans can submit directly and they can develop and make money off their ideas. Just another way Lego is doing a better job than Playmobil these days.

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 21:31:40 »
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I have had very good relations with the company in the old days when HOB was still around. Everyone I met at the company back then is gone now. While it would be nice to be recognized, they don't have a system like Lego where fans can submit directly and they can develop and make money off their ideas. Just another way Lego is doing a better job than Playmobil these days.

Siiiiigh. You know, if they want to have business like Lego so bad why not adopt basic concepts like they do? I believe it was the folks of AmClicks who had a suggestion for the option of building your own klickies like Lego has for the brickheads. Or maybe re-release more vintage sets that are still very popular like the Victorian mansion or the glorious Steck system castles? Lego was wise to not ignore its adult fans (much) as they may equal future business by introducing their children to the brand (like we collectors already do!). They even have Lego Ideas, allowing very dedicated fans to bring new sets to life! While Playmobil is doing licensing for vintage series to appeal to adults, I fear it's still too shallow to gain much traction. Especially since they're mostly car-based.

Funny....I miss the old days despite not even being born then.  :'( Klickywelt dwellers are just as upset and even considered straight up making their own products. If it were at all possible, I'd certainly be among them! (Rant over.... :-[)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 17:37:55 »
While Playmobil is doing licensing for vintage series to appeal to adults, I fear it's still too shallow to gain much traction. Especially since they're mostly car-based.

No, playmobil is appealing to OTHER collectors. You know, Star Trek, ghostbusters, 007.... Which is great, yes. But.. They seem to totally ignore the fact that there are actual PLAYMOBIL collectors...

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 00:21:11 »
They seem to totally ignore the fact that there are actual PLAYMOBIL collectors...

This hits at the heart of the matter: the current leadership seem unaware that Playmobil itself is of unique significance and value.  :2c:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 01:45:09 »
You all know we are the red headed step child in Geobra’s eyes
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays: