Author Topic: Playmo3D Project - a computer based virtual building tool for Playmobil parts  (Read 28967 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
btw. Do you think you will benefit by a FAQ-thread for Playmo3D, with maybe some hints, tutorials and so on? Just give me a signal about that.

YES.

I'm interested to giving this a try, though I'm completely clueless as to 3d modelling. I downloaded sketchup, does that count?  ::)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
There is a document included with the download that gives excellent instructions on how to set up and use Sketchup for this project. I've learned more from it on how to use Sketchup specifically than from anywhere else, very helpful.

SirPleamo, it would be nice to have the working list available somewhere so people don't keep asking for the same things that you are working on.   ;)

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
SirPleamo, it would be nice to have the working list available somewhere so people don't keep asking for the same things that you are working on.   ;)

okay, I will think about how to manage this, but yes you are right, that would be best!

but in this sense ...as I said to your last post, we are really working on that issue... the double arc Steck is now finish! Just have a look at the pic  ;)

Offline Emma.J

• Playmo Addict
    • Emma.J Blog page
Dear Sir P and Co,

just wanted to say thanks again for the new 3D project, I've worked through your tutorial and it's excellent.
I look forward to using it some time in the future when I next design a steck castle or a palace.

Although for me it's still the old fashioned way of pen and paper for designing most of my work. But I will look forward to seeing any new additions in the future.
Best wishes in your endevours.
 :thanks:
Improvise, adapt, overcome ..... If all else fails FAKE IT!

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
Some of you have sent me PMs but I have not answered them yet, sorry for that, but I just came back from holidays this weekend... so I will do my job soon  ;)

I look forward to using it some time in the future when I next design a steck castle or a palace.
[...] But I will look forward to seeing any new additions in the future.

...ah yes, there are the promised Steck-parts (mostly roofs and gables) finished now... (see the attached example pic) ...so Emma, save your pen and papers!  ;)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Great, can't wait for the next update.

One thing I have been doing that might be worth making available is creating assemblies. For instance in Steck a doorway, door, the two hinge clips, and the latch. Saved as a unit together it saves a lot of time compared to having to put the parts all together each time. The same with window assemblies.

By using right click Explode you can break them down into sub-assemblies and then to individual parts, so you can open a window for instance.

Offline Sir Pleamo

• Playmo Fanatic
Great, can't wait for the next update.
You do not have to wait for long... I will prepare the new parts for download the next days...

One thing I have been doing that might be worth making available is creating assemblies. For instance in Steck a doorway, door, the two hinge clips, and the latch. Saved as a unit together it saves a lot of time compared to having to put the parts all together each time. The same with window assemblies.
By using right click Explode you can break them down into sub-assemblies and then to individual parts, so you can open a window for instance.

Yes, Tim, that is a very good method. You might remember, that in all former versions there were such a folder named "Groupings" that contained exactly what you mentioned, but I have skiped it in this release. Why? you might ask... the answer is simple. In detail there are several reasons for that. First, there are so many possible combinations (e.g. different colors, lattices, etc.) that such a folder would be much too big for downloading. Second, the Grid-System now makes it is so much easier to handle that you can ensemble the subparts quick enough. And, third, as a consequence, it would be great if everyone esablish his own "grouping"-folder for his personal use just like you did, Tim. So I am really happy about your post, I have not mentioned that issue before but that was really exactly what I wanted to demonstrade soon. At the moment a more detailed "advanced-working"-manual is in charge, in that this method and other helpful hinds (e.g. exchanging or replacing parts in a whole model, diorama-buildups, huge files and how to handle them, ...) will be described.
But still there will be an "official" Grouping-folder again coming up soon, because we decided to rebuild all kinds of original Playmo-sets so that you can download and use them for editing or directly putting them in your scene, etc. In this context every finished set will come as a SketchUp-File and a Grouping-folder with their specifig groupings. You may keep these folders or copy all those folders in a single grouping-folder to establish your own "working-directory". This was my solution to handle the nearly infinite number of grouping possibilities

Offline Emma.J

• Playmo Addict
    • Emma.J Blog page
so Emma, save your pen and papers!

Hi Sir P. If only I could but I work mostly with the victorian 5300 parts, which aren't in your data base. I'd hate to ask for any as you've too much to do as it is. I am planning a Victorian arcade made from sys x so I'll send you pics when thats done.  :wave:
Improvise, adapt, overcome ..... If all else fails FAKE IT!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
I haven't had time to download anything yet, but your idea, Tim, is an excellent one, especially as the examples you show are items I will be using.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
I've downloaded everything but haven't had time to learn to use it yet. But I can't wait!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.