Author Topic: Campo train museum  (Read 3622 times)

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
Campo train museum
« on: March 17, 2012, 19:58:50 »
Begin saying i live in La mesa, San Diego county, Ca. last weekend, i head off east county, to drive on the country side, following the motorcycle route, with the idea to find a nice steakhouse up on the hills, last time i drove the same area was almost 10 years ago...

"till i stop by a sign that bring my attention, Pacific Southwest Railroad Museum, in campo, a small town near the border with Tecate, down in mexico. me and my kids stop by, and turns out to be on time for a train ride... to the border and way back... they have tons of cars, engines, and lots of restoration going on...

we learn about the military history of the town, as a buffallo bill calvary unit stay there 'till they were turn into tank unit, during the 1st and 2nd war, and a POW with italians and germans captured in the north africa expedition on WWII, or the wild west bandido incursions, and the expeditions of yankies into mexico...

but the trains, amazing, the have to old cars from the 1880's that need to be restore... mail cars, hospital wagon, steam engines, etc, etc...

becoming a member is only 40dlls for family and you can volunteer to become a machinist!!!

i share some picts... EHHH nope... this thing don't allow me to put something bigger that 100kb is frustrating

Offline zugpferdchen

• Playmo Lover
Re: Campo train museum
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 21:51:45 »
i share some picts... EHHH nope... this thing don't allow me to put something bigger that 100kb is frustrating
No pictures, how a pity...
Do you need help for scaling the pics?

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 00:52:23 »
Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun. It's always fantastic to have surprising and unplanned adventures like that; well done! ;)
~Pynedor~

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:18:00 »
Oh I do want to see. I bet after seeing the family and I will go next time we are in S.D.

You do not need to re-scale if you use imageshack or similar web sites

I have been commuting on trains for a few weeks now and I miss my playmobil trains :'( :lol:
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
Campo train Pictures, pictures!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 17:40:22 »
pixctures, after all

1. the train
2. the 1880's cars, they said they nedd 80k to restore each!
3. two cars and a hospital car at the end, pulled by a diesel engine. the hospital car used to take soldiers from campo, to yuma.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 18:52:20 by Amd »

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 18:09:35 »
the border. thats the famous US-MX border: steel plates used in irak during the 1990 war are the ones dividing the countries...
border tunnel. on the other side of the tunnel is Mexico, is funny how the train runs into mexico from that point on, ive been on the other side of the border and the railroad is amazing, the construction is better... 

La presa tunne. was fnished way back 1910, and the tunnels shows the train was a sign of pride to the mexicans... i'm attaching the last picture from a diorama in the museo de las californias, down in tijuana.

they call the route yuma-san diego, the impossible route, and the reason why goes down in mexico seems simple but somehow makes no sense to me... at the san diego train museum down in balboa park they told me is was really hard to build, and thats why the went down in mexico, but at campo they told me they just didn't care.

the museumstore. is a famous store run down by the bandidos!!! is next to the train museum.

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 18:32:01 »
back in the yard, seems the have 20-50 different cars in the yard, now, from the station, some 1000 yards east the have a big restored engines and cars museum, the have the steam engine 2253, actually works, and cars from the 30's 40's, a car from the segregation era, with only white people section...  ??? s mail car, in used till 60's... a cabooze, like the playmobil ones, with desk, bed, and a stove or heater...

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 18:42:25 »
and last my fav one, i think the name is "1-29" but we name it "rusty"  :love:
a clear example according to the machinist of a coastal weather rust decease...  ;D
station at del mar for years (del mar is a town located next to the sea, few miles north of san diego downtown, famous for the horse racetrack and the county fairgrounds) the weather damage the car so much in comparison to the ones stored there.

i attaching a pic, from old yuma train station that i took 2 years ago... the building is desolated, is near a 1770's mission church...

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
Campo museum PICTURES PICTURES!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 18:51:11 »
The day after the train visit my sisters kid visit me... i took out the 4029 and the 4034 and we play for hours!!!

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 23:21:45 »
Very interesting, thanks for getting the pictures posted. I got to ride the excursion train to Santa Cruz one time. They have open top cars to ride in as you go through the forests to the sea.