Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
What a wonderful thread!!!
I agree with a lot of your input.

1. Normal/molded faces for klickies.

2. “Pick four or five core themes and expand them into worlds or eras with sub-themes” is an excellent idea

3. For the city life theme this would mean: Modern steck buildings. Like the Victorian buildings, but then modern so that you can buy a big set once and get creative. Make a house/hospital/school/shopping mall or supermarket/dance studio/hotel/museum/police station etc. Same opening in the walls for different windows and doors, but interchangeable with different colours and types of windows. Add smaller sets for the different themes to make the empty building a house/hospital/school etc (furniture and klickies, playmobil already has a lot of sets they could incorporate) or separate walls like walls with bars for making a police station.
Market it: one building, endless opportunities, just use your imagination. As a parent I don’t want to buy 5 big buildings (for €150 each) for my kids to play with. I want to buy one and then add smaller sets to it. Also easier for family and friends to give playmobil sets as a present. And it can grow with your kids and their interests.  With new sets it will be a new building again. Also make sure that wall pieces can be bought as a playmobil plus set. (And use a wall colour that won’t yellow so much over time).

4. For making a museum: work together with different musea to sell different sets that incorporate famous pieces (make a playmobil version of the statue the thinker for example). Make a steck wall piece where it’s easy to attach (and detach) paintings to.

5. Same skintones in the my figures series (I’ve stated that before).

I’m gonna steal my 6-9 from Ismene:

6. Find the "greatest hits" from previous F?gures series, produce them as non-blind Specials, and sell them on the website for double what a normal one-klicky set goes for. Let's claw back some of that Ebay cash.

7. More famous historical people. They're a great way to reach people who wouldn't normally collect Playmobil. "Oh, congratulations on graduating in chemistry! Here's Marie Curie." Everyone has a field, interest, a historical figure they admire. Let's get a klicky on every desk.

8. Keep on developing $4-$5 animal sets. Get them into bookstores, toy stores, Target, zoo gift shops, natural history museum gift shops, etc. Kids buy impulse toy animals all the time. They aren't buying Playmobil because it's not on the shelves.

9. Lastly, make it easier to buy things. Fix the website, keep popular sets in stock, let foreigners buy from the German website if they are willing to cough up the shipping costs.
News / Re: Playmobil in the News
« Last post by JLMatterer on June 08, 2024, 22:36:24 »

Photography & Graphics / Re: JLMatterer Photo Gallery
« Last post by JLMatterer on June 08, 2024, 21:58:09 »
News / Re: 71521 - Karl Friedrich Schinkel
« Last post by playmofire on June 08, 2024, 11:41:33 »
Translation  via Google from the website:

Exhibition with Diorama Artist Oliver Schaffer 20. July to 08. September 2024

It is not only children's eyes that are growing. When it comes to figurines, the hearts of all ages beat faster. After the realization of the PLAYMOBIL special figure “Theodor Fontane” in 2018, with over 20,000 sections distributed worldwide, the makers from the Kulturkirche in the Fontane town of Neuruppin have succeeded in creating another coup. After Theodor Fontane, the second famous son of the city Karl Friedrich Schinkel is honoured with an exclusive special PLAYMOBIL figure.

The new exhibition from the 20th. July to 08. September 2024 in the Kulturkirche Neuruppin is dedicated to an important piece of international building history with more than 5,000 PLAY MOBIL figures and brings everyday children to life to life. Together with the Hamburg artist Oliver Schaffer, the Kulturkirche Neuruppin presents the colorful variety of PLAYMOBIL in fantastic experience sceneries, which immerse visitors and young visitors in remarkable, surprising and fascinating PLAYMOBIL worlds.

The Hamburg exhibition artist and scenographer Oliver Schaffer uses thousands of PLAYMOBIL figures for the design of installations and dioramas. He translates complex themes and content into imaginative toy landscapes. Since 2004, he has been conceating, designing, planning and realizing individual artistic installations, as well as entire exhibitions for renowned museums, cultural institutions and companies. The focus is on the possibilities and aesthetic potentials of the PLAYMOBIL system. From the close interplay between toys and knowledge transfer, he develops an individual form of presentation for each context. Since his first exhibition in 2004, Oliver Schaffer has been working with international partners from culture and edutainment. His works have been exhibited at the Musée des Arts décoratifs Paris, the Deutsches Museum Bonn and the Centrs Vernisca R'ga.

On the occasion of the exhibition PLAYMOBIL-Baugeschichte(n) in the Kulturkirche Neuruppin, there will be 20th anniversary of the exhibition July 2024, 10 a.m. the new PLAYMOBIL special figure “Karl Friedrich Schinkel”, which is limited to 25,000 pieces. The architect and builder Karl Friedrich Schinkel, who was born in Neuruppin and especially in Berlin, who works in Berlin, and his 245. The most important German architect of the 19th century is considered to be the birthday. century. He designed the Old Museum of the Lustgarten, the Schauspielhaus am Gendarmenmarkt, the Neue Wache Unter den Linden and Charlottenhof Palace in Potsdam and the Roman baths in the Sanssouci Park.

In a development and production period over two years, in close cooperation with the Fontane town of Neuruppin and the company geobra Brandstätter from Zirndorf near Fürth, the manufacturer of the famous PLAYMOBIL figures was created on the basis of historical photos, the PLAYMOBIL special figure “Karl Friedrich Schinkel”.

The PLAYMOBIL special figure with item number 71521 will develop into a real collector's item, since the figure of 7.5 centimetres with a brown compass and a blackboard with the floor plan of the theatre built by Karl Friedrich Schinkel at the Gendarmenmarkt in Berlin, is available exclusively via the Kulturkirche Neuruppin.

Fee: adults 5,00 Euro and for children and young people (up to 16th) year) 3,00 Euro. As an encore to the entrance fee, all children and young people will receive (until the 16th century). one of the year of age) one of the PLAYMOBIL special figures “Karl Friedrich Schinkel” or “Theodor Fontane” (while stocks last) until the end of the exhibition on 8th September 2024 free. ATTENTION! Not suitable for children under 3 years of age, due to suffocation by small parts! The opening hours of the exhibition are Monday to Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm.

In addition, the two PLAYMOBIL special figures “Karl Friedrich Schinkel” and “Theodor Fontane” are for 5.00 euros in the exhibition of the Kulturkirche Neuruppin and plus VAT. Shipping costs above info-kulturkirche-neuruppin.de available.

News / 71521 - Karl Friedrich Schinkel
« Last post by Oliver on June 08, 2024, 04:55:09 »
New figure of German architect and designer Karl Friedrich Schinkel available from July. Relying on Google-translate, but it seems they will ship it if you e-mail them to ask (but it also says it's 'only available in Neuruppin so...)

https://www.kulturhaus-neuruppin.de/m/seite/708512/playmobil-baugeschichten.html

News / Re: Not Quite Playmobil News
« Last post by JLMatterer on June 08, 2024, 03:10:01 »
News / Re: Playmobil in the News
« Last post by JLMatterer on June 07, 2024, 23:28:21 »

Disagree on this. It's about people. Just get someone in charge who actually gives a tinker's cuss about the toy. Good things would flow from that.
Everything I've read about the current problems blame the leadership, but per the thread prompt, I'm working with the scenario that we are taking over leadership. Employees will be more invested in the toy and the brand if leadership isn't driving them to the brink.

Abe Lincoln would be good. There are American writers and artists with big followings, like Edgar Allen Poe.

A little history could work, would be nice if a tad more realism was brought back in the historic lines. No need to overdo that either, but more bring it back in line with how it used to be.
Yes, history sets should be reasonably historical to cultivate PM's reputation as an educational toy.

The fantasy sets can be more imaginative, as long as they make sense within their realm. I don't understand the princesses living in clouds like Care Bears. It would make more sense if they were fairies, angels, or tengu. Strong urge to give them parachutes.

I think the first thing I would worry about is logistics. Last Christmas the 'last day' to order was around the 8th December. Sets are frequently not available from the online store. This is a huge problem in my opinion. In the UK they also struggle to get onto shop shelves, but I know this isn't a problem in the European core.
Yes! Logistics are a huge issue in the US too. PM apparently doesn't send enough of the popular sets. I've had to order Christmas gifts in October because I knew they'd likely be gone in November. It's been a long time since I've been able to get everything on my shopping list in one order. Sometimes I can find the sets on other websites, but there are some sets I've missed out on because they were hardly ever in stock and they eventually disappeared from the site altogether.
Make all the klickys customisable by using the same internal skeleton from the Fi?ures line.
I'll pre-empt by saying that I come at this from a UK perspective, and other countries might not have these problems.

I think the first thing I would worry about is logistics. Last Christmas the 'last day' to order was around the 8th December. Sets are frequently not available from the online store. This is a huge problem in my opinion. In the UK they also struggle to get onto shop shelves, but I know this isn't a problem in the European core.

I think that the museum market should have a bit of a push. The Rijksmuseum sets presumably sell well, so more along those lines. These don't require new parts. I think these would sell well and provide a 'halo' affect to the brand. For a long time I assumed what held these back was the need for large orders, but the slew of figures for tiny museums in small towns around Germany makes me think this isn't the case.

In terms of themes, it's really hard to look at things without knowing sales figures. I would obviously love a return to a more modular, expandable building style.

Find a way to engage with diorama builders, and within the catalogue/website go back to mixing up the themes.

I actually think that schools would be a better route than hospitals. I'm a teacher, and when we did the Vikings I took in my Viking sets for the children to play with; when we did the Victorians I took in the room sets and they played with them and we talked about how it was different/the same to their houses at home.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10