Author Topic: The Holy Grail.......3628  (Read 6822 times)

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
Re: The Holy Grail.......3628
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 17:18:41 »
Thanks i hope you all enjoyed the modest story. I think we will be seeing more of the Abbot reviewing sets in the future. As for the animal rights protests, Playmobil was trying to accurately represent the pageantry of medieval life. I actually think some of the diaroma pics by Playmobil were quite subversive and humourous at one point. Whatever happened to education through play. We are raising a generation of know nothings. Sorry have to stop ranting. :-[

Rasputin, don't worry. I'm sure the travelling bear act brought some(vodka) from the motherland. :lol:

Going back to the set, this is why Playmobil was and still is a superior educational toy. There is an emphasis on history beyond knights and castles only and it fleshes out a complete medieval world with peasants, hunters,innkeeper etc. There is no reliance on licences and provokes children into imagining their own stroylines and characters. My own daughter is obsessed with Robin Hood and these sets got her reading two different versions of the merry men tales.
O brother where for art thou?

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 17:56:33 »

"Count yourselves lucky this set is not 5344. Because that is no pet stand!"

For those of you who do not remember set 5344 (Kleitierstand) ... This is the set to which the good Abbot refers (and it was indeed listed in the US and Canada catalogues as a "Pet Stand'):
see attachment

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 18:17:55 »
Richard, 5344 and it's set name here make me laugh. :lol: I'm not that old that i remember rabbits in my local butchers in Scotland when i was a child. :-\

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2008, 19:24:59 »

Playmobil was a bit more honest with set 4412/7991 (butcher shop) as everything is already dead and neatly packaged. So ... no one should be offended with the idea of people "butchering" defenseless live animals and eating them.

see attachment

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 22:04:48 »
:yup: i completely agree with you abbot. you have to buy misb sets and immediately let them see the light and breath the air.
 :) congratulations on yout new set.
 :) i was wondering if you have 2 sets i love - 3567 and 3632 - and if you could do a review on them.
 :) they were talked about a very long time ago (i think "a propos" animal cruelty) but i would really like to see a review.
 :) thanks.
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Abbot Hamilton

• Playmo Fanatic
  • Diet of Worms?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 22:14:23 »
Hello cachalote. :wave:

I'm glad that you agree with me on setting klickies free. I have 3632 but don't have 3567. I will do a review of 3632 soon if you like. If you look carefully at the corner of the pictures, you can see the travelling bear act.

Thanks

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 04:25:38 »
The hunting set is a nice catch (I still haven't obtained that or the Merry Men Hideaway).

Shame that neither the falcon glove or the [stick to carry the boar with] are still in production.

With reference to the Victorian set pictured in this thread and the Merry Men -themed knights--

It's a for PM to let these vanish forever.  I mean, the Victorians once had a lorry, Model T-like ford, etc.  The train sets were once vast--multiple different types of old-fashioned locomotive engines, different cars, etc.

At least PM recirculates bits and pieces of the old stuff every once and awhile.  Some of the new stuff is pretty elaborate too though--guess we need to keep our heads on the present before it becomes past too...