Author Topic: What is DS?  (Read 13637 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: What is DS?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 18:34:53 »
Martin, in my experience (like yours) the email link to UK DS has never worked either.

Turnaround time is now much quicker than it was - orders are fulfilled in 7 to 10 days of paying for them, sometimes less.

And Caroline is as helpful a ever.

The time for spare parts to be available used to be for 10 years after a set was withdrawn and then was reduced to 7.  It may now be shorter with the increase in the number of sets issued each year.

I certainly can confirm it's worth asking for parts from sets withdrawn more than 5 to 7 years ago - you can have some pleasant surprises - but people should do so sparingly.  No one likes to input an order or deal with requests where out of, say, 25 items all but 2 are not available as they feel they have wasted their time and, more importantly, been unable to help the customer.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Ronastoo

• Playmo Lover
  • MamaDragon
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 19:41:09 »
I have never orderd any parts in the US, partly because I understand it is almost hopeless.
Well, it's not ALWAYS hopeless.   :)   I have successfully placed orders for spare parts many times.  I always call.  And, because I have a nice person on the phone with me it is sometimes possible to get part numbers for a limited number of parts that don't have instruction sheets with part numbers (for example, Specials) but you do have to know the set number and a very detailed description of the part that you want.
Emphasis on limited.  Maybe one or two during an order.  Don't be greedy.   ;D
Rona MamaDragon

Offline playmo1989

• Playmo Master
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 21:49:45 »
I know I have answered this question from you before in great detail, so this time please pay attention and remember.

1) You order parts by number. If you do no know the number you can't order it. This would be the case for most Specials, and sets that do not include any assembly instructions. Playmodb or a set of instructions in your own collection are the best sources for part numbers.

2) In ordering, it is a good idea to put a name or desciption by the number, as sometimes numbers get mis-typed or mixed up. This also help you when your order arrives. I use the Playmodb descriptions unless I think they are too vague.

e.g. 10 x 30 07 6120 Wall, Flat, Plain, Double-Male Connectors

means I wish to order ten of the standard flat plain steck walls.

3) Some parts have had more than one number over the years. I always use the most recent number when ordering for the best chance of the part being in stock.

4) They can't possibly keep everything in stock. Sets released in the last 1-5 years have the best chance of spare parts being in stock, but older parts may be available. You can always try to order them it doesn't hurt. Older than 5 years, it is reasonable for Playmobil to assume the kids are no longer playing with the same sets, but many old parts are so popular or common (e.g. most steck pieces) that they are still stocked.

5) Very recently released sets have a smaller chance of parts beign in stock. The service is intended to be for replacing lost or broken parts, and it is reasonable to assume that it takes a while for parts to be lost or broken. That said, parts can be in stock immediately or within six months of initial release. You can always try to order them it doesn't hurt.

Strictly speaking DS (Direct Service) is NOT the ordering of spare parts, but the ordering of any set direct from Playmobil. This includes all the add-on sets that are rarely to be found in normal retailers.

The ordering of spare parts (by phone or email) is called the Spare Parts Service. This is supposed to work via each country's website, but when I tried (in the UK) I never once got a response. I eventually got a contact name, phone number and email address for one of the nice ladies in their Basildon offices, and all the spare parts orders I placed over the last three years went through her. I would put my order together, send it via email, and usually the same day get a response with the available parts totalled up for cost includign shipping. I then rang her with my credit card detail, and 2-3 weeks later the order would arrive.

UK orders come direct from Germany in batches, so it is possible to receive, in one postal delivery, two orders placed at different times. It is also possible to have them separated by several weeks if you miss a batch of orders.

I have never orderd any parts in the US, partly because I understand it is almost hopeless. Justindo placed several orders through me while I was still in the UK, because like Bill Blackhurst, he gets a better hit rate this way.

If I were to try an order in the US (which I may in the next few months), I would use this email service@SPAMBLOCKERplaymobilusa.com

Remember to remove the SPAMBLOCKER

wow :o :o :o  thanks for this detailed text martin ,a 3750 boat only the boat could be named as a part ,or the parts are in one average size??

The spirits rule !!!!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2010, 07:20:14 »
If by boat you mean just the hull (bottom part) and the deck (upper part) then they are two separate items, thus two separate part numbers. If you alos mean the lower foredeck, the inside of the cabin and its furniture, the upper deck where the wheel goes, these are all separate items, thus separate numbers.

Have not got throught the pages of playmoDB (database) yet? Or dont you know about it?

Here is the playmoDB page for 3750
3750 - Pirate Ship

You can find all part numbers here!

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2010, 08:06:44 »
I have never orderd any parts in the US, partly because I understand it is almost hopeless. Justindo placed several orders through me while I was still in the UK, because like Bill Blackhurst, he gets a better hit rate this way.

I truly appreciate Martin's help in this, although now I have another parts list and US DS has almost none of it in stock! :'(
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline baden-wurttemberg

• Firefighter Enthusiast
  • Playmo Master
    • http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2010, 13:35:14 »
WoW!!  :o Thanks everyone! Now I'm starting to get the hang of it. So you all say its better not to order like 50 pieces at one phone call or email right?

Baden  :wave:
Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2010, 13:49:56 »
If by boat you mean just the hull (bottom part) and the deck (upper part) then they are two separate items, thus two separate part numbers. If you alos mean the lower foredeck, the inside of the cabin and its furniture, the upper deck where the wheel goes, these are all separate items, thus separate numbers.

Have not got throught the pages of playmoDB (database) yet? Or dont you know about it?

Here is the playmoDB page for 3750
3750 - Pirate Ship

You can find all part numbers here!

Perfect answer!

A part is almost always a single molding. As a "boat" byhwich I assume you mean the ship, not the dingy, has many pieces. Even a rowboat has the hull and the seats and oars, but the seast and oars come as one molding so that is one "part". 

playmobil1989, do please LOOK at the inventory lists, I think it is entirely clear what constitutes a part. If you ask another unresearched question I shall ignore it, as I will assume you are trolling.

baden-wurtemberg, you can order 50 or more parts in one order, but I would do it by email not phone. Most of us who order parts produce lists up to 200 items long.

Offline baden-wurttemberg

• Firefighter Enthusiast
  • Playmo Master
    • http://stores.ebay.com/Baden-Wurttemberg
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2010, 13:52:24 »
Would it be the same thing if you order many of them but of the same part....like 20 shovels from 3935 the flatbed truck?

B-W  :)
Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.

Online Heronimus

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2010, 14:18:59 »
WoW!!  :o Thanks everyone! Now I'm starting to get the hang of it. So you all say its better not to order like 50 pieces at one phone call or email right?

Baden  :wave:
I am curious, you will sell them on ebay afterward?  :wave:

I saw you are selling quite a lot of parts from your link below :love:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2010, 14:38:00 »
Would it be the same thing if you order many of them but of the same part....like 20 shovels from 3935 the flatbed truck?

B-W  :)

The shovel is part number 30 09 7030 and you'd just ask for 20 of those.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”