Author Topic: Review of some new parts with Asterix  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
Review of some new parts with Asterix
« on: October 29, 2022, 10:47:59 »
Comparison of the two huts. The chief's hut (70932) is much larger when seen side by side with the hut from the village feast (70931).

The stone of the chief's hut is lighter coloured and the chimney stone is lighter too to match.
The roofs can go on either way so you can have the chimney either side.
I suspect the roof halves are compatible with each other so you could have a chimney both sides or no chimney if you had two of the same hut.
The upper window of the smaller hut does not have the right shape to take a window like the larger hut.
The huts are very simple, front and back stone wall and the roof in two parts. There are also some "wooden" parts that go under the overhang of the roof to make it look more solid.

The treehouse (71016) sits on a solid trunk.

The trunk has tabs underneath which could be trimmed to go in more places though the treehouse would likely be top heavy and prone to toppling without some weight added to the inside. It would be nice if they'd include optional bases for things like this.

The hut also has tabs.

Otherwise makes a very nice cottage.

The bard that comes with this set has a fancy hairstyle.

Another new hairstyle comes from the chief's set (70932). I don't recall seeing a good picture of the back of the chief's wife's hair.

Hopefully both hairstyles will appear in other colours.

With the druid set (70933) come a couple of new figures. The old man of the village who would make a great asian martial arts master.

He has a peculiar hairstyle.

The character from the comic never wears anything on his head but that hairstyle allows this guy to.

The above is a full sized helmet.

The Roman spy has shorter legs by using an existing skirt piece and giving him a new leg sculpt.

He looks a bit odd from the back as he has a double face which isn't well hidden.

The hidden face.

This face isn't a total print. The surprise lines are printed but the eyes and mouth are moulded like regular faces. I think this is only the second moulded face not to have the usual smile.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Review of some new parts with Asterix
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 11:03:09 »
Thank you for the details!

:o

Are you sure that mouth is molded  - I didn't notice that. :-[

But it could be molded on the normal side...

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 11:07:33 »
Actually you're right. I put it under a decent light source and it is printed at the back.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 13:26:30 »
Actually you're right. I put it under a decent light source and it is printed at the back.

That's good - means it can be erased. :)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 22:10:30 »
Thanks for the interesting information about these things. The tree house looks like it would make a great Snow White cabin.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 10:25:12 »
Got a second house with wooden roof. The roof pieces aren't interchangeable so you can't have a hut with no chimney or a hut with two chimneys. It wouldn't have taken much to design the roof sections like this so missed opportunity there.
The other thing they should include is a mezzanine so that the figures can stand behind the upper window in the two houses. An easy fix but should have been done in the original set along with a ladder to get up to it.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2022, 16:00:48 »
Thanks for the detailed pictures and information! Is the new hair piece with the two braids soft like some of the newer coats and hair pieces, or is it like the older hair pieces?
~Pynedor~

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2022, 19:59:11 »
Got a second house with wooden roof. The roof pieces aren't interchangeable so you can't have a hut with no chimney or a hut with two chimneys. It wouldn't have taken much to design the roof sections like this so missed opportunity there.

It's so lame. It's like they go out of their way to make things incompatible. Why? It's ridiculous. For all their brilliance, they seem completely playmoignorant and clueless sometimes...

Thanks for the detailed pictures and information! Is the new hair piece with the two braids soft like some of the newer coats and hair pieces, or is it like the older hair pieces?

Curious too (I LOVE that hair - don't have it yet :hissyfit: )

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 08:54:10 »

Regular hair plastic so kinda stiff but soft enough they'll move out of the way when the head is turned and the braids hit the arm.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2022, 09:11:28 »
It's so lame. It's like they go out of their way to make things incompatible. Why? It's ridiculous. For all their brilliance, they seem completely playmoignorant and clueless sometimes...

To me it's so obvious to have the roof halves being mirrored so you can swap the halves but I wonder if they ran out of time because some of the features like this appear rushed. There is a small tab in the middle of the chief's hut's roof with no corresponding indentation on the other side. The top of the chief's hut sags slightly so doesn't align fully (it's about a mm or two out). I suspect the tab was meant to strengthen the middle of the roof by clicking into place but the set went into production before this feature was properly implemented.

Then again, maybe attention to detail isn't always there. The scooby van has a box of files and a food tray, neither which click into anything so they move around when you carry the vehicle. There should be a bracket or something to secure the box of files at least.
One of the great designs of playmobil vehicles is having a round hole to put drinks in and a slot for walkie talkie radios. It was one of the things I loved as a kid about the early police motor bikes. The radios, cuffs etc could be clipped onto the back of the bike, nothing was loose.