Author Topic: 6348 + 5536 = film at eleven! (aka Macruran Sails a Boat)  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
6348 + 5536 = film at eleven! (aka Macruran Sails a Boat)
« on: September 05, 2016, 00:16:52 »
I took my schooner and radio control set out to the local duck pond and gave it a spin! I used my cheap old camera to get 17 minutes of video evidence. LUCKILY FOR YOU I've chopped that down to two smaller clips.

ENJOY

link - it's a google drive folder, sorry, I tried to upload it to the video sites but couldn't get any of them to work :(

The main thing I learned, apart from it being a lot of fun, is that the ship, being very light, is very sensitive to wind and weight distribution. Even a mild gust will threaten to tip it over, and a klicky on one side but not the other will cause a permanent list. Also I found that, in low gear, one of the thrusters seemed not to work.

The weather's getting cold now so probably next year I will take out my Roman ship. It's not listed as being compatible with 5536 but I will make it work, come heck or...high water.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:24:35 by Macruran »
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 6348 + 5536 = film at eleven! (aka Macruran Sails a Boat)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 01:18:53 »
A shame about the video, but there's always next year.

I took one of the schooner type pirate ships sailing some years ago and found that it is essential to have the rigging ropes slack so that the sails can billow out in the wind.  If not, the slightest gust of wind and over she goes!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 01:39:04 »
Good point about loosening the sails - I'll do that next time!

The ship is so light that mounting the full complement of crew and tools would probably sink it :(

One solution is to have the dog on the shore, waiting for the return!

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 21:02:27 »
That's fun. I bought the remote but haven't used it yet. No place nearby that isn't too risky. When I do use it I most want to use it on a speedboat with a water-skier attached. The remote should fit on any ship that has the connector fir the underwater motor - which is most if not all of them. Also works on Nessie and maybe the seasnake/hydra.

Offline Macruran

• Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 13:57:14 »
I'd love to see a motorized Nessie!