Author Topic: The Loch Down Railway  (Read 5430 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
The Loch Down Railway
« on: May 05, 2020, 18:54:17 »
In the present unprecedented circumstances I've been given permission to layout a railway in the dining room, and so the Loch Down Railway has come into existence. It's an oval with four straight lengths per side and R1 curves at each end, long enough to take the Playmobil 4052 tender loco with three Panorama coaches, although most of the traffic is drawn by either an LGB 2075 Spremberger tank engine or one of the Playmobil tank engines.

The two of longer sidings are each fitted with one of the Playmobil isolators, allowing one loco to be parked while the other is running or shunting. One of the shorter sidings is fitted with an old LGB uncoupler rail. It was originally intended to have both of the shorter sidings fitted with one of these, but as I don't have easy access to the window side of the layout, the shorter siding on that side hasn't got an uncoupler rail fitted. The uncoupler rail which is fitted isn't a 100% success as it really needs a hard surface under it for it to operate properly, otherwise it tends to lift up on one side when the uncoupler mechanism is depressed. I plan to remedy this some stout card or plastic under the section of track.

Accessories are kept to low level items such as platforms and vehicles as easy access is needed to draw the curtains on the window, so the last thing you want are signals and buildings sticking up.

Some photos, clicking on therm makes them bigger.  First, the overall layout, then two photos of the northern station and lastly, a photo of the southern station.

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: The Loch Down Railway
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 18:59:50 »
Now, another photo of the southern station, then the uncoupler rail and then two of the PM isolator.

I hope to make it the basis of a railway in the garage by adding a second oval with R2 curves and maybe a crossover into one of the sidings. I'm also thinking of making one siding at each side the end of a shuttle so that when not running round-and-round trains a gentle to-and-fro one can be running. I shall look into inserting a PM shuttle unit into the layout in the next few days.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 20:50:12 »
It's huge!

I feel very ignorant, since I really don't know what you are talking about :-[   But the trains are gorgeous :love:

Looking forward to seeing the progress - a shame it can't fully develop, but I understand the need to reach the window ;)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 22:15:45 »
Great looking layout Gordon
Nice use of the platforms. My trains are all put away now as I only have floor space for an oval around the diorama table, and the it becomes hard to do dioramas.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 00:47:44 »
It's huge!

I feel very ignorant, since I really don't know what you are talking about :-[   But the trains are gorgeous :love:

Looking forward to seeing the progress - a shame it can't fully develop, but I understand the need to reach the window ;)

Not so huge; I'll measure it for you.

I have realised that when I mentioned the shuttle I was actually mixing this up with an earlier plan!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 00:49:32 »
Great looking layout Gordon
Nice use of the platforms. My trains are all put away now as I only have floor space for an oval around the diorama table, and the it becomes hard to do dioramas.

Thanks, Tim.  Those platforms are very useful once you have enough of them.  I have a number of pieces undergoing the 20% bleach soak process.

What I really need are lots of the little yellow connectors.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 20:51:12 »
It's huge!

It's roughly 2.5m by 1.5m, tahra.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 06:33:27 »
It's roughly 2.5m by 1.5m, tahra.

Well.. huge - all the train layouts end up huge, I think, because the scale is so large... Maybe it is not huge for "train collectors".. :)

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 14:42:06 »
Though I know nothing about train layouts, I can't help admiring the one you set up!  :clap:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 18:17:57 »
Though I know nothing about train layouts, I can't help admiring the one you set up!  :clap:

Thank you  :wave: